HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RIP Johan Cruyff.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Played the beautiful game beautifully.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Truly great player but a bit of an arse, been ill a long time which must have been hard considering how fit he had been as a younger man.

That Dutch side was, imho, the best side never to win the World Cup, Cruyff was one off half a dozen truly great players at a single point in time. Some great memories.

RIP.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm

I'll say it again..
I'm a bit young to remember watching him in his pomp in the 70s but clips I've seen of him seem to show a languid, natural style that seemed to be quite common with the best players of that period such as Marsh, Worthington etc, what do you old duffers reckon? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 6:06 pm

great player shame his son wasnt a patch on him. RIP
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 pm

What a loss. RIP.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
I'll say it again..
I'm a bit young to remember watching him in his pomp in the 70s but clips I've seen of him seem to show a languid, natural style that seemed to be quite common with the best players of that period such as Marsh, Worthington etc, what do you old duffers reckon? Very Happy

Very true Les. There were countless players like it, but Cruyff was the master, and what a fantastic team, the best along with the 1970 Brazil team. Even Argyle had beautiful movers, almost like magicians. Dave Burnside was sublime on occasion. I suppose the nearest we've had in recent years down here to that languid style was Halmosi, and maybe Larrieu in goal in a strange sense.
It was a different game. Look at the movement of some of the Revie Leeds team, and they ere supposed to be cloggers !

Today's players are too muscle bound to move like that, let alone the modern coaching practice. Instead of poetry, we now have limericks for lummoxes. Sugar coated party tricks on a bed of steroids and wilted memories. Rugby Union players are even worse. Cats still know how to move, when they can be bothered.
I've depressed myself now. I feel like going to the pub and paying £4 for a pint. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Not just a great player but a great thinker and polymath, you get the feeling he would done whatever he turned his hand to in that languid style. Pretty much invented the modern FC Barcelona, but as Lord Tis says a bit of an arse, with a little more discipline might have won the World Cup and might not have lost all his money that time. A true pioneer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Johan Cruyff.   RIP Johan Cruyff. Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Johan Cruyff.
Page 1 of 1