+4
AstiSpumante
zyph
Czarcasm
seadog
8 posters
AuthorMessage

What the fook are you looking at? Empty
PostSubject: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Or the "I've just given up smoking and/or drinking thread." Gave up again yesterday, fags and booze. After trying vaping I've found that I never got over the nicotine so this time it's cold turkey, thirty six hours in and I haven't even shouted at anyone yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 8:01 pm

It's the reason that's important to see you through the 2 months grace you initially need. What's your reason for the intended permanent change ?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I have never smoked, apart from a dozen or so joints many years ago.

It must be the most futile hobby ever.

The drink however..................
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Giving up smoking is probably the best idea anyone could ever have - healthwise. There are no positives to smoking. You smell. Your clothes smell. Your breath smells. Your house/car will smell. It costs a fortune. Then if it doesn't kill you directly, it'll certainly take a few years off your life. The only reason a cigarette is even deemed 'enjoyable' is that it satisfies the craving due to nicotine addiction.

There's a huge difference with alcohol. You never phone your mates and ask if they fancy going out for a few Benson & Hedges, do you? Booze is a social thing. That said, I've seen first hand what alcoholism can do to a person/family. So in some cases there are really good reasons for cutting it out, or at least trying to.

Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 9:02 am

I found a sure way of beating the smoking habit when I was a teenager.... and it has worked for me for over sixty years.....NEVER START....it becomes quite easy then.

I did work for a tobacco machinery company for over twenty five years after leaving School.....(Molins, Evelyn St, Deptford, South London).....at times we would have old cigarette making machinery come back to overall and reconditition.....if you could of seen what tobacco juice did to aluminium parts that it came into contact with....you would never smoke again......have you ever had a crunchie bar and sucked the honeycomb centre out.....that's what aluminium components would look like after a long time contact with tobacco.......I'm talking of machinery that produced 5000 cigerettes a minute......plus the build up of tobacco dust on those parts that didn't have contact with tobacco as well.....a sure way to stop smoking in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:25 am

Lord Biro wrote:
It's the reason that's important to see you through the 2 months grace you initially need. What's your reason for the intended permanent change ?

52 innit. Don't worry yourselves I'm an old hand at this giving up lark. Gave up fags for ten years aged forty then slipped back in after the "odd puff" on a few spiffs whilst in Morocco, smoked for a while, knocked it on the head for a bit but I'm in kind of a part time smoking land, it's no good and it's got to go. I've always been a fit bloke and the two just don't go together. As for the booze at the end of the day I class it as a class A and the social pressure to pump yer body full of drugs gets a bit wearing for me. Give me a lovely sunny summers evening and nothing better than a couple of lovely pints sat outside an English (or most probably Cornish) boozer but that aside it gets to be a very expensive habit and the hypocracy of yer average drinker mystifies me somewhat, "go on have another large malt! I'll get you a pint to go with it!" "Nah mate I'm falling asleep, I'll just do a tiny line of Ching." WTF, never noo yoo dun drugs mete?
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 am

My Grandad is 119 years old, still smokes 80 a day, and is fitter than Reuben Reid. Tobacco is good for you, a vegetable, one of your 5 a day. party animal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 am

I'm sorry of this isn't mundane enough for the ATD elite crew, but, I am 6 days into my dryahtlon and non-fagathon (couldn't think of another name).

Although I have only ever been what you could call a weekend smoker/beer smoker/social smoker, I don't find knocking the fags on the head a real problem.

What I do struggle with is the temptation to walk to the fridge and open a cold one!! What does this mean even? I can't survive without alcohol? I'm an alcoholic? or I just love a few beers?

Anyway - I have decided to give the money I would of spent on beer and going to the pub to cancer research - this reason alone is why I will succeed with my dryathlon.

Oh, Amsterdamage - good luck in your quest with quitting the two evils of fags and booze. Thumbs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

Thnx, I find the booze a piece of piss next to the fags.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 11:28 am

Good luck chaps.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 11:49 am

Czarcasm wrote:

There's a huge difference with alcohol. You never phone your mates and ask if they fancy going out for a few Benson & Hedges, do you? Booze is a social thing. That said, I've seen first hand what alcoholism can do to a person/family. So in some cases there are really good reasons for cutting it out, or at least trying to.

There's a Med they give you in the nick which kills the craving for Booze/Addiction in 72 hours dead. I forget its name but you cannot get it on Prescription because the Medical Profession view it as so effective they fear people would go on 2-3 week mega binges knowing the drug can kill the craving at will.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

I was offered a give up smoking pill at the docs, I think it makes any fags taste like shite.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 3:57 pm

At the ripe old age of 37, I took up smoking in 2015. I now smoke my pipe, oooo, once or twice a month? It smells nice, it tastes nice, and it lends me an air of understated sophistication/makes me look a bell-end (delete as applicable).

I also took up wearing a pocket square, having resolved to never dress like my dad, and jump straight to dressing like my granddad. This probably isn't as bad for my health - although I can think of some pubs I used hang out in where it might have been.

Speaking of pubs, booze is great, and anyone that gives up - or even cuts down - is a quitter. And people wonder why this country is going to the dogs...
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 pm

MikeWN wrote:
At the ripe old age of 37, I took up smoking in 2015. I now smoke my pipe, oooo, once or twice a month? It smells nice, it tastes nice, and it lends me an air of understated sophistication/makes me look a bell-end (delete as applicable).

I also took up wearing a pocket square, having resolved to never dress like my dad, and jump straight to dressing like my granddad. This probably isn't as bad for my health - although I can think of some pubs I used hang out in where it might have been.

Speaking of pubs, booze is great, and anyone that gives up - or even cuts down - is a quitter. And people wonder why this country is going to the dogs...

No shit Sherlock Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 7:30 pm

MikeWN wrote:
At the ripe old age of 37, I took up smoking in 2015. I now smoke my pipe, oooo, once or twice a month? It smells nice, it tastes nice, and it makes me look a bell-end (delete as applicable). duly deleted

I also took up wearing a pocket square, having resolved to never dress like my dad, and jump straight to dressing like my granddad...
Are you Hilary Benn ?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:37 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
My Grandad is 119 years old, still smokes 80 a day, and is fitter than Reuben Reid. Tobacco is good for you, a vegetable, one of your 5 a day. party animal

Egg custard is one of your 5 a day as well.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
MikeWN wrote:
At the ripe old age of 37, I took up smoking in 2015. I now smoke my pipe, oooo, once or twice a month? It smells nice, it tastes nice, and it makes me look a bell-end (delete as applicable). duly deleted

I also took up wearing a pocket square, having resolved to never dress like my dad, and jump straight to dressing like my granddad...
Are you Hilary Benn ?

There's no need to be insulting (the Hilary Benn bit, not the bell-end bit - that's a fair cop)!
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 12:30 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

Egg custard is one of your 5 a day as well.

Except in doughnuts, when it's an abomination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the fook are you looking at?   What the fook are you looking at? Empty

Back to top Go down

What the fook are you looking at?
Page 1 of 1