Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.

Go down 
+48
Big Robby
Earwegoagain
akagreengull
downthetrack
Lord Melbury
Flat_Track_Bully
green_genie
Cornish Rebel
PatDunne
zyph
Cerbera
Rickler
Cousin Jack
Hoof Hearted
devonportlad
Sturtz
Geezer
Hugh Midde
pepsipete
lawnmowerman
Motorservices
mouldyoldgoat
shonbo
Rollo Tomasi
Elias
jabba the gut ecfc
Chemical Ali
Coxside_Green
argyl3
tigertony
harvetheslayer
Dane
VillageGreen
Dick Trickle
Freathy
Foxy
Sir Francis Drake
seadog
Hitch
Charlie Wood
Les Miserable
Tgwu
AstiSpumante
MikeWN
Lord Tisdale
Greenskin
Czarcasm
sufferedsince 68
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 2:41 pm

In fairness it was a pretty weak post but you bit so......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Grace Less wrote:
Somewhat perverse I think to make both of the above comments in a forum entitled "The laughing at Exeter as they go down thread" since the outcome of the game last night moved the Club up the league table, rather than going down. I'd also observe that 6 of last night's team were under 23, and that just at the moment with injuries to more senior players City are having to rely on players, many of who have come through the Academy, to carry on with the move towards securing a play-off place. The Academy has and is producing players who move seamlessly into the first team squad, not something that is a noticeable attribute at Argyle recently.

In one respect, it’s admirable that your Academy in effect keeps the club afloat. But on the other hand if just keeping you afloat is all it does - and lets remember Academy sales have never propelled you anywhere of note League-wise, you are still in tier4 - you really can’t afford a barren run of sell-worthy kids or your next non-league spell won’t be far away.

It’s depressing most of the time being an Argyle fan, but as the old saying goes, there is always someone worse off than you.

It wasn't that long ago they had to go cap in hand to PFA to pay their players

https://www.efl.com/news/2014/june/exeter-city-forced-into-pfa-loan/

Back to top Go down
Grace Less

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Absolutely true. On the other hand which club has a newly developed ground which has been completed, and at no cost to the Club? Which club has sold over £4m worth of players in the intervening period, has redeveloped its training ground and was able to afford to bring in players during the transfer window. Fan ownership is not a panacea, but it does bring a degree of transparency that hasn't been very evident during the last few seasons at Home Park Looking at ATD there's not a great deal of optimism about what's going on at Argyle, whereas most City fans are at least optimistic. Oh, and we have a Manager who doesn't speak in conundrums and endlessly use the phrase "at this moment in time".
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm

I guess it comes down to aspirations.

I wouldn’t be happy with a fan-owned club - and that’s not because we have one or two Grade 1 fuckwits who’d be desperate for a place at the forefront of any fan-led movement. I wouldn’t want it because the moment that happens you are basically accepting that, by and large, you’ll always be shit.

Until comparatively recently in terms of our history, Argyle had spent our entire existence in the middle two tiers of the football league. Still to this day we’ve spent more time in tier two than in any other division, singularly. So the point I’m making, is yes at the moment we are shit, but we’ll always have the potential to be so much better.

It probably may never happen in my lifetime, but I’ll always be unaccepting of the fact that “we’re shit, we’ve always been shit, we’ll always be shit”, as so many compliant Janners put it.

So yeah, aspirations. Some people have them. Some don’t.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

Until comparatively recently in terms of our history, Argyle had spent our entire existence in the middle two tiers of the football league. Still to this day we’ve spent more time in tier two than in any other division, singularly. So the point I’m making, is yes at the moment we are shit, but we’ll always have the potential to be so much better.

I've always thought of Argyle as a pretty stable club when it comes to ups-and-downs between the divisions but apparently we're equal sixth in terms of inter-division movement with 18. According to this wiki article it means we're a yo-yo club. Mind you there's a way to go to match Notts County and Grimsby.

Yo-yo clubs

Just to note we've been promoted since this page was updated (while West Brom, Barnsley, Stoke and Sunderland (twice) have moved down too so stay level with us).
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 9:24 am

Czarcasm wrote:
I guess it comes down to aspirations.

I wouldn’t be happy with a fan-owned club - and that’s not because we have one or two Grade 1 fuckwits who’d be desperate for a place at the forefront of any fan-led movement. I wouldn’t want it because the moment that happens you are basically accepting that, by and large, you’ll always be shit.

It probably may never happen in my lifetime, but I’ll always be unaccepting of the fact that “we’re shit, we’ve always been shit, we’ll always be shit”, as so many compliant Janners put it.

So yeah, aspirations. Some people have them. Some don’t.

A lifetime is an awful long time to be in denial as to how shit we are.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Mot Failure Lord Tiz? TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW.[/quote]

Some posts just write themselves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.   The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread. - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Laughing at Exeter as they go down thread.
Page 36 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36