Czarcasm
Les Miserable
hippo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hippo

sturrock leaves yeovil? Empty
PostSubject: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm

heard some gossip, can anyone clarify?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Yes he's gone, he'll probably retire now unless we end up having him back Shocked

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11729/10085901/paul-sturrock-parts-company-with-yeovil-town
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for that Hugh. I hope he enjoys whatever he chooses to do next.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Time for the "bring back Luggy" orgasm over on the farm in 3....2.....1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:15 pm

SeymourButts wrote:

Especially if DA starts causing trouble,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:18 pm

SeymourButts wrote:

only historians and beards live in the past it seems.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:27 pm

We had a lucky escape there, no doubt he'll resurface again though like a punchdrunk boxer.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:31 pm

SeymourButts wrote:

I'd bring him back - and install him as Club President. king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
SeymourButts wrote:

I'd bring him back - and install him as Club President. king

Arise President Luggy.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
We had a lucky escape there,  no doubt he'll resurface again though like a punchdrunk boxer.

A tad harsh, both for his contribution to Argyle and the implied similarity between a punchdrunk boxer and his condition.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
We had a lucky escape there,  no doubt he'll resurface again though like a punchdrunk boxer.

A tad harsh, both for his contribution to Argyle and the implied similarity between a punchdrunk boxer and his condition.

Not at all, bringing him back again(as was suggested before he got the Yeovil job) would've been a massive mistake, regardless of his previous contribution to the club. The implied similarity between a punchdrunk boxer and his condition was made by you, not me. I was implying that he should retire before doing any more damage to his record and reputation as a manager.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Well they are going down, instead of backing him they are paying up the rest of his two year contract,
Skiverton and way will be out next they wanted a clean sweep up there
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 5:17 pm

I read a while ago he thought he would impose himself on someone like Bodmin or Truro with a bit of coaching when his Yeovil number finished.  I wish I could get sacked from jobs with months or years of pay. Very strange what has happened at Yeovil. I always thought the club's days were numbered when Johnson upped and left, he was the epitome of the rising club. Always liked them for their FA Cup stuff and playing in green.
Thought he overplayed the Dundee United thing a bit too much in his management career. The tangereen thing was a bit like dressing up your new girlfriend in your ex wife's clothes...... out of order, indulgent, and not funny at all.
Still, I'm in a good mood and overall I've liked Luggy, and the way he has handled his disease has been exemplary. He's been a very successful man, and I like his tartan waistcoats. Well done.

Sadly, managers lose it just as players lose it. He was appalling in his second stint, and had clearly lost the plot. His sniping at Mariner from "upstairs" put me off him a bit as that was uncalled for. Mariner deserved more respect than that. He should have left the stage then, but hey ho. The for fans by fans Argyle must be his best ever achievement.

Still, he's fashioned for himself a good life down in Cornwall, and I can't think of a sweeter place to twiddle your toes, have a stroll, and irritate whoever is managing Truro........."bleddy hell,here come's Luggy, tell him I'm busy with the chairman".
I think Malcolm Alison might have mentioned something similar. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 6:30 pm

One job too many but all the best to him in whatever he does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Wonde who he'll blame for this failure? because of cause according to his book hes always the victim.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:15 pm

SeymourButts wrote:
there be some harry monk flying about in the wankfest tent forshore with this one seymour parteeeeee
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Tbh Mariner didnt have clue as well sir john out of his depth with league football after coming from the MLS..that was one of mariners recommandtions kenny cooper says it all really
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:45 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Tbh Mariner didnt have clue as well sir john out of his depth with league football after coming from the MLS..that was one of mariners recommandtions kenny cooper says it all really

so was luggy in fairness he didnt have a cue how to manage a club in the higher tiers of football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:57 pm

RegGreen wrote:

I agree Mariner wasn't up to speed as a manager, and almost certainly is a coach first and foremost, but it was unacceptable, that Sturrock, while still a disgruntled employee of the club decided to get dirty and slag off an innocent Mariner as a manager live on the BBC match commentary. Nothing to do with Mariner's  purchases, and let's be clear, Luggy's purchases were a disaster. He decided to lambast Mariner's tactics and selections on the day, in a sort of Webby sort of way when Sheridan became out of fashion. That sort of gratuitous no holds barred behaviour from within is likely to attract the same venom in response, and some. Fortunately, Mariner is a sweet guy. As Angry has stated, it all goes back to Luggy not ever really understanding that actually he just didn't perform and needed to go. We all under perform sometimes, and it's called humility.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
I agree Mariner wasn't up to speed as a manager, and almost certainly is a coach first and foremost, but it was unacceptable, that Sturrock, while still a disgruntled employee of the club decided to get dirty and slag off an innocent Mariner as a manager live on the BBC match commentary. That sort of gratuitous no holds barred behaviour is likely to attract the same venom in response, and some. Fortunately, Mariner is a sweet guy.
yeah they both were useless but i agree with you on that luggy shouldnt have gone public kept it in house between em
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm not so sure about Mariner.

A buddy of mine took the opportuity to visit his daughter who was at university in Sheffield and take in an away game nearby (I forget where). Coincidentally he booked himself into the same hotel that the team was staying at on the Friday night before. He arrived lateish, checked in and went for a snifter in the hotel bar, as you do. Also in the bar, and obviously very well set, were Mariner, Carver and whoever else was on the coaching staff at the time all togged up in club training kit and they were chatting with Martin Hodge who was working as a scout in the Sheffield area for somebody for somebody or other.

As I've said it was late (none of the players were present - presumably sent to quarters for an early night) and our boys had obviously dined well and were enjoying a brandy or three as they fended off any chance of a post-prandial dip. Anyway they were louder than might seem apt in a quiet hotel bar and as the bantz to-and-froed the language became riper and riper. None of which is great PR for the club or very professional but what really got my buddy's back up was the open contempt they showed for the quality of our players. I forget now who he said that they had named but there was lots of "that cnut's feckin useless", "nobody here any good for you Martin - nobody in their right mind would sign any of the cnuts!" and the like.

My buddy was disgusted that very senior club employees should behave so unprofessionally whilst so obviously being there in a professional capacity and said that Mariner, a player he had idolised back in the day, was the worst of a bad bunch. He said it was all just cringeworthy, oafish and embarassing.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:

I agree Mariner wasn't up to speed as a manager, and almost certainly is a coach first and foremost, but it was unacceptable, that Sturrock, while still a disgruntled employee of the club decided to get dirty and slag off an innocent Mariner as a manager live on the BBC match commentary. Nothing to do with Mariner's  purchases, and let's be clear, Luggy's purchases were a disaster. He decided to lambast Mariner's tactics and selections on the day, in a sort of Webby sort of way when Sheridan became out of fashion. That sort of gratuitous no holds barred behaviour from within is likely to attract the same venom in response, and some. Fortunately, Mariner is a sweet guy. As Angry has stated, it all goes back to Luggy not ever really understanding that actually he just didn't perform and needed to go. We all under perform sometimes, and it's called humility.

You don't half spout some shite.

How the hell can you compare a very experienced, successful manager who dares to be slightly critical of a novice manager's team selection with a former Post Office worker's criticism of an experienced manager.

Mariner was obviously foisted on to Sturrock. And then jumps into his job. Mariner had no qualms about doing it.

Sweet guy, my arse.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Just caught SFD's piece.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

It tallies with stories I have heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 11:22 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

My buddy was disgusted that very senior club employees should behave so unprofessionally whilst so obviously being there in a professional capacity and said that Mariner, a player he had idolised back in the day, was the worst of a bad bunch. He said it was all just cringeworthy, oafish and embarassing.

You posted that a few years back, maybe on Pasoti. It certainly has a Paoti feel. My mate saw Blobby pissing it up da da.da

I am under no illusion that most people involved in football as a profession are oafs. In fact, in my experience, most people even playing it at amateur level are a good 80% on the oafish spectrum. It's no secret.
But even oafs  have rules, and one of them I have always assumed is not to diss your front line staff live on the media when they are competing.
When away from home, having an hotel pint, most UK males are a pain in the arse, on the beer, on the pull. That's how every travel lodge/jurys is.

I'm not the most team orientated person these days having seen the individual games played by many, but even I baulk at the sort of disloyalty Sturrock showed that day. Oh, and I haven't read one account since where Mariner has decided to crap on everyone, unlike many involved.
And Rollo, I thought our accidental temporary accord on a post or two was a bit too good to last. I really do irritate you it would seem. That's a pity, and I'm sure we could both hazzard a good guess as to why that should be so. But then, who cares. Co-existence within reason should be possible, even among oafs..
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 pm

You make many good points but here comes the however, you dislike too many things.

For example, you rubbish Portsmouth for the amount of money spent on agents for which I agree with you.

Yet you somehow manage to rubbish Accrington for spending nothing at all. You even throw in that they must be dodgy in their dealings.

Make your mind up. You can't have it both ways.

Lighten up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sturrock leaves yeovil?   sturrock leaves yeovil? Empty

Back to top Go down

sturrock leaves yeovil?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next