pepsipete
Greenskin
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Knee injury forces former Plymouth Argyle striker Matt Lecointe to retire at 21

from the link wrote:
FORMER Plymouth Argyle striker Matt Lecointe has been forced to retire from football at the age of only 21.

Lecointe has taken the 'heartbreaking' decision after three operations on his right knee failed to get him back out on the pitch.

The former Hyde Park Junior School and Ivybridge Community College student had seemed set for a successful career when he made his first team debut for the Pilgrims at the age of 16.

He also played once for England at under-18 level – and scored – before his injury troubles started in July 2013.

He eventually recovered from that injury but associated damage to his lateral meniscus proved insurmountable to overcome.

Lecointe is now considering a career as a personal trainer or a physiotherapist after his time as a professional footballer was cut short.

He told Herald Sport: "The surgeon basically advised me to give up football because the knee is not getting any better. It's getting worse if anything.

"He said 'you have just got to look after your health now'. It's pretty heartbreaking really.

"You play the game you love all your life and you know football is going to end at some point, but not this early.

"I have had three operations and the surgeon basically said there was only one operation that could possibly make the knee better.

"But the only person it has worked for was a goalkeeper so the odds were completely against me going for it."

Lecointe continued: "When I injured my knee there were a few things that I did.

"We thought the cruciate was going to be the main problem, but that is fine now. It's these other things – it's to do with the lateral meniscus – that never healed.

"I believe I gave it every possibility I could to get back to playing regular football but it wasn't meant to be.

"I feel like I did everything I could in my rehab. I did it all properly so there are no regrets or looking back and wondering whether I could have done anything better."

Lecointe has even been advised by the surgeon not to play local league football on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday morning.

"He told me I have really got to look after the knee and just going for a run could damage it and it would get worse," said Lecointe.

"Before I know it, I could be struggling to walk."

Lecointe never thought when he was injured against Truro that it would lead to his premature retirement from professional football.

He said: "I couldn't really walk or anything after I did it, but it wasn't painful. I managed to hobble off the pitch and left the ground on crutches.

"I think I have just been unlucky really. There is nothing I could have done about it."

Lecointe made his debut for Argyle as a substitute in a 1-0 League Cup first round defeat by Millwall at Home Park in August 2011.

At the time the Pilgrims were in administration and some of the club's apprentices were thrust into first team football because the squad was so small.

Lecointe always had talent, as was demonstrated when he was selected for an England under-18 international against Poland in March 2012.

The game was played at Crewe Alexandra's Gresty Road ground and he scored one of the goals in a 3-0 win.

Lecointe went on to play 30 times for Argyle, including 13 starts, and netted twice.

What turned out to be his last appearance came in a 0-0 draw against Dagenham and Redbridge at Home Park in February 2013.

He was ruled out of the entire 2013/14 season after his injury against Truro but was still offered a new one-year contract by Pilgrims' boss John Sheridan.

However, there was to be no way back for the striker and he was released at the end of last season.

Lecointe went on to have a third operation in an attempt to keep his football career alive, but it was in vain.

He said: "It was an absolute honour and privilege to play for Plymouth Argyle.

"I grew up in the city and have lived here all my life. Playing for the team you support was a dream come true.

"There are a lot of people who would have loved to have played 30 games for Argyle like I did. They would literally have cut their arm off for it. It was an absolute honour.

"There is a lot of luck in football and at the time that I made my debut the club were going through a difficult time.

"I got my chance to play in the first team and it was unbelievable.

"And scoring for England was definitely one of the highlights of my short career. No-one can ever take that away from me."

Lecointe added: "I would just like to thank all the players at Argyle, the coaches, the fans, my family and friends for their support over the last two-and-a-half years.

"And a big thanks to Paul Atkinson (Argyle's physio) for looking after me. He has helped me so much."

Big Shame as he had talent but it was never in any doubt he would have to accept retirement due to how bad the injury was. All the best with his future endeavours im sure he will find a new successful career path.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Poor lad,all the best to him in whatever he does in the future.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

What can I say? Hope it all turns out well, sad to see the end of what looked like a promising career.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 7:39 pm

its a shame could have gone far... good luck in your future career Matt.
But is okay cause Webbys got him a job.....
feckin hell the president has done something worthwhile....
Back to top Go down

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Jethro wrote:

what is the job he gave him? his pa? a postman? handles all his hate mail?
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Angry wrote:
Jethro wrote:

what is the job he gave him? his pa? a postman? handles all his hate mail?

all that hate mail would be strain on the knee....
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

What great shame wish him all the best for the future in what ever he does
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Good luck to him, always seemed a decent lad, such a shame he has to give up all forms of football.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Very sad news indeed, good luck to the lad.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 am

Great shame - hope things work out for him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lecointe Retires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lecointe Retires   Lecointe Retires Empty

Back to top Go down

Lecointe Retires
Page 1 of 1