Division 1 back then.

B2TF  12141668_10153741885890982_3123960162876295810_n
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 4:53 pm

I feel a "look how different it was back then, so it's impossible for Argyle to achieve anything in the future" scenario coming on.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 5:13 pm

I think the striking thing is how different it isn't.

Wednesday, Forest, QPR, Forest, Luton, Coventry, Birmingham, Oxford and Ipswich are the only ones not in the equivalent division now and 6 of them are only a division down.

I wonder what our division looked like? Does anybody know where it could be looked up?
Back to top Go down

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 pm

So our last fixture and our next will be against clubs that were midtable top flight teams 30 years ago.

Now they are struggling to keep up with Accrington who average 1500 fans a game.

I think fans of both clubs would rather go back to 1985 if they could find a Delorean cheers

B2TF  Delorean-back-to-the-future
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Division 1 back then.

B2TF  12141668_10153741885890982_3123960162876295810_n

Already 3 points for a win back in 85? I'm feeling old.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 5:41 pm

ejh wrote:

I think fans of both clubs would rather go back to 1985 if they could find a Delorean cheers

I saw one last week...
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Wednesday, Forest, QPR, Forest, Luton, Coventry, Birmingham, Oxford and Ipswich are the only ones not in the equivalent division now and 6 of them are only a division down.

I wonder what our division looked like? Does anybody know where it could be looked up?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Football_League
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Well yes but that gives the final positions. I was wondering what the league looked like on Oct 21...
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Well yes but that gives the final positions. I was wondering what the league looked like on Oct 21...

Haven't a clue in all truth. As a matter of interest, why would it matter what the date of any given league table was? Just wonderin' like.
Back to top Go down

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Skinny, you're just not a Hollywood tart, are you ?
There's been enough clues of inane manufactured brand bull on this thread already. "It" was even referred to on Radio 4 John Humphries this morning. Feel blessed you live in media ignorance. I salute you. You don't need to know.

While driving up to Okehampton this morning, I was forced to turn my radio off 4 times in the space of an hour, to let some establishment goon or propaganda to run it's course without offending my sensibilities. They're just tribe automatons on the make. All I want to hear are resonant voices ( birdsong in reality ), with views of something almost irrelevant. I'm a peasant at heart and in the real world. The sun or the mizzle is a good enough subject.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
There's been enough clues of inane manufactured brand bull on this thread already. "It" was even referred to on Radio 4 John Humphries this morning. Feel blessed you live in media ignorance. I salute you. You don't need to know.

While driving up to Okehampton this morning, I was forced to turn my radio off 4 times in the space of an hour, to let some establishment goon or propaganda to run it's course without offending my sensibilities. They're just tribe automatons on the make. All I want to hear are resonant voices ( birdsong in reality ), with views of something almost irrelevant. I'm a peasant at heart and in the real world. The sun or the mizzle is a good enough subject.

scratch

I don't think i'm a Hollywood tart. In fact, after reading that post SJH, must admit that an identity crisis and deep rooted self analysis are taking place-I don't know who I am anymore. Honestly can't see what a 1985 league table has to do with Hollywood tarts, John Humphries, media ignorance, automatons, birdsong or the sun but there must be some connection. The key to it all would seem be "it"-what was or is "it"? No doubt people all over the site are laughing and pointing at my dim witted naivety- paranoia is fast setting in and will fester until all is revealed.
Back to top Go down

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Very simple. The 21 October 2015 is the date where the car in the "Back to the Future" film travelled to/from, and there was some crap about a new film/book or whatever, a bit like Parkinson used to advertise on his chat show.  So, if the merchandising and Bond 007/trekkie/B2TF franchises have their way, 21/10 will become the new Mothering Sunday. Every franchise and their cat want a recurring event to live off for eternity. Can't be many days free in the year any more given the churches and the armed forces.
I did say you didn't need to know. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

SFD, go into STATTO.COM
The HOME page should come up.
click on to RESULTS,
a calendar appears with today's date.
click on to the year you want( 1985) and then the month(October) and day(22).
The results will show from the 22/10/1985.
Finally click on TABLES.

That should keep you occupied for a while!
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:

While driving up to Okehampton this morning, .
I was up that way today and had I known I would have taken my garden broom and ensured the roads you were using were clean for you M'Lud.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
Very simple. The 21 October 2015 is the date where the car in the "Back to the Future" film travelled to/from, and there was some crap about a new film/book or whatever, a bit like Parkinson used to advertise on his chat show.  So, if the merchandising and Bond 007/trekkie/B2TF franchises have their way, 21/10 will become the new Mothering Sunday. Every franchise and their cat want a recurring event to live off for eternity. Can't be many days free in the year any more given the churches and the armed forces.
I did say you didn't need to know. Laughing

Ah right. TBH SJH I think I did need to know, because without that knowledge your previous post was almost Garywillsian in its esotericity. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

SFD, go into STATTO.COM
The HOME page should come up.
click on to RESULTS,
a calendar appears with today's date.
click on to the year you want( 1985) and then the month(October) and day(22).
The results will show from the 22/10/1985.
Finally click on TABLES.

That should keep you occupied for a while!

That's the badger. Thank you.

A good away point at Rotherham after a 1-1 draw (does anybody remember that game?) left our league looking like this:

B2TF  Untitl10
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Would Tommy Tynan have been a Rotherham player then?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Yes, didnt he score their goal ?? Cooper or clayton i think got ours
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Pretty sure he would have been- he left for them at the end of his record equalling season six months earlier.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:59 pm

I can't believe no one has picked up on the astonishing start made by Reading. To win the first 13 matches is impressive and I would imagine that it would be some sort of record.

They drew their next match against Wolves.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 11:21 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
I can't believe no one has picked up on the astonishing start made by Reading. To win the first 13 matches is impressive and I would imagine that it would be some sort of record.

They drew their next match against Wolves.

Fooking Reading. That was the season when they beat Argyle 4-3 at Elm Park after being 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go. They brought on Kevin Bremner who had previously played for Argyle on loan and he totally transformed the game, terrorised our defence. It was the only game I've ever been to when you actually KNEW that the opposition were going to score with each attack, total collapse. It was first v second as well, they eventually won the league although Argyle actually adapted better to the higher standard in the second division.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 11:34 pm

There was a big turn out at Elm Park that day. I couldn't wangle transport up there for love nor money. Everything was booked solid. One of the few games i really wanted to go to that I didn't when I could have. Glad I didn't go. I was traumatised by it for years and I wasn't even there.

Didn't Nissie get sent off?

Reading were out of sight all season after that start. Never looked like getting caught once they beat us up there.

But what a fabulous season that was. My favourite ever, I think.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 11:37 pm

FFS Greenskin, don't get me started!
I was there and had the journey home with a load of Reading fans taking the piss!
They weren't a bad bunch of guys, it was all good natured and they shared their beer with me. Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:26 am

If you looked at that table without knowing anything about how the season would pan out Argyle would will well down the list of teams you would predict to finish second.

From memory I think the following Saturday we went to Derby and scrapped an extremely hard fought, backs-to-the-wall 2-1 and never really looked back after.

Apart from that Reading game... Like SFD it's etched into my psyche, it was a horrendous 20 minutes and I've never sung the 'jingle bells' song since, nor belted out felicitations of Argyle success until the whistle has blown - think the premature 'top of the league' chants against Bristol Rovers just a month ago. 'Remember Reading' still holds resonance today. And I still hold a grudge against them too.

It was a tremendous season - I was Dave Smith's paperboy at the time and it was always a joy to see him on a Monday after yet another win.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:42 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
There was a big turn out at Elm Park that day. I couldn't wangle transport up there for love nor money. Everything was booked solid. One of the few games i really wanted to go to that I didn't when I could have. Glad I didn't go. I was traumatised by it for years and I wasn't even there.

Didn't Nissie get sent off?

Reading were out of sight all season after that start. Never looked like getting caught once they beat us up there.

But what a fabulous season that was. My favourite ever, I think.

Yes he did. He kicked his erstwhile teammate Andy Rogers up in the air when Andy was time wasting by the corner flag after Reading had taken the lead. Great season though as you say, probably second only to the Mariner/Rafferty season under Waiters for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

B2TF  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B2TF    B2TF  Empty

Back to top Go down

B2TF
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Zoo Corner-
Jump to: