HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Emergency Loans

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 12:51 am

Do you agree with Adams and FIFA that the ending of this loan system will be a good thing when it ends next season.

MANAGER Derek Adams will make 'emergency loan' signings for Plymouth Argyle if they are necessary, even though he believes the system is unfair.

The transfer window closes at 6pm on Monday, after which no permanent player moves or 'standard loans' are allowed until January.

However, the Football League will permit their clubs to make 'emergency loans' for a maximum of 93 days after that cut-off point, starting from September 7 until late November.

Adams has no past experience of this because he has only managed in Scotland before – at Ross County.

Clubs in Scotland are not allowed to make any loan signings outside transfer windows.

Adams is content with the size of squad he has at Argyle at the moment, after making five permanent signings and completing three 'standard loans' since taking charge at Home Park in June.

If injuries or suspensions started to bite later in the campaign, Adams would look to the 'emergency loan' system, but that does not mean he thinks it is a good thing.

Adams believes clubs should have to work with the squads they have got come deadline day.

He is pleased the 'emergency loan' system will be scrapped at the end of this season, under pressure from world governing body FIFA.

Adams told Herald Sport: "You don't have to complete your business by deadline day on Monday, which gives us a wee bit of leeway.

"I'm not overly for it. I don't think it's a fair system but that's the way it is.

"It does benefit teams that maybe don't have the finance and they can go and get a loan player for a month or 93 days.

"So I can see the benefits for it, but I do think it's quite unfair."

Adams has no plans to make further additions to his squad after the signing of Bolton Wanderers defender Oscar Threlkeld on Thursday on a 'standard loan' until January 2.

Threlkeld, Crystal Palace midfielder Hiram Boateng and Reading attacker Craig Tanner have all been borrowed by Adams on the same arrangement.

The Pilgrims' boss does not want to see any of his players lured away from Home Park before the 6pm deadline on Monday either.

There have been rumours on social media about the future of star striker Reuben Reid, but no more than that.

Adams was not aware of any inquiries from other clubs about his players.

He said: "I want to keep my squad intact and I don't want to let anybody go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 5:06 am

I can see both sides of the argument, which side is right or wrong I really don't know.

'Emergency' loans are available to all so difficult to see where any advantage comes into play.  It can only be helpful to those players who wouldn't otherwise get a game.

The downside is when a club becomes reliant on them like we did last season.  Our own fringe players either weren't good enough or unprepared to step up.  Did the loanees ruin their chances or were they just not good enough?

Del Bheys argument for helping the poor doesn't make much sense.  As we saw with Brent Ridsdale, budgets can easily be manipulated without punishment, apparently.  If there's a will there's a way.  Surely the more willing could loan at will (Del already knows his place here)?
Back to top Go down

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:21 am

I don't like loans at all, emergency or otherwise.
It encourages lazy management (what's new with that in this country ), clubs to "rack and stack", and it encourages a lot of players to go along with it, with little loyalty to where they play. It probably adversely affects the development of many youngsters in particular, compared to having a regular year in, year out, squad position at a level that suits their ability.
The system perpetuates the position of the richer clubs, and allows little chance for a tight successful team of exceptional ability to develop at a lower level without a Russian oligarch, such as the old Wimbledon, Clough's Forest, or the Sunderland 2nd division FA Cup winners. The game is poorer for it.
I too think Adams has missed the point slightly, as the loan system as a whole doesn't help poor clubs in the long run. But then, Argyle aren't a poor club at this level, or rather they shouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 am

I agree with Sir John. If big clubs couldn't loan players out we wouldn't see some squads with over 50 players. These players, mainly developing youngsters, would find their true level and benefit the whole system. They would have an incentive to play well in the form of a transfer with the fee also benefiting the lower leagues.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:57 am

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
I don't like loans at all, emergency or otherwise.
It encourages lazy management (what's new with that in this country ), clubs to "rack and stack", and it encourages a lot of players to go along with it, with little loyalty to where they play. It probably adversely affects the development of many youngsters in particular, compared to having a regular year in, year out, squad position at a level that suits their ability.
The system perpetuates the position of the richer clubs, and allows little chance for a tight successful team of exceptional ability to develop at a lower level without a Russian oligarch, such as the old Wimbledon, Clough's Forest, or the Sunderland 2nd division FA Cup winners. The game is poorer for it.
I too think Adams has missed the point slightly, as the loan system as a whole doesn't help poor clubs in the long run. But then, Argyle aren't a poor club at this level, or rather they shouldn't be.

Adams negative view of the emergency loan system is almost certainly due to the point highlighted above. Argyle ARE a big fish in the League 2 pond. So relatively speaking, we ought to be able to acquire a higher standard and higher number of fully contracted players, which in turn should give us a much higher chance of finishing towards the top. In theory.

You can bet your arse that if we were still in the Championship and Adams was gaffer, his view on the emergency loan system would be quite different.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm old and confused!
I always thought that ''emergency'' was for an ''emergency''. You have 3 goalies (main / No 2 / Youth) and all are injured so thats an ''emergency''. Thats fine! However, if your youth keeper is fit then you have a goalie and no 'emergency'.

Then I read ''.... an emergency loan is often perceived as the only answer to a sudden injury or loss of form of ..... '' So we have 6? strikers (RR, Jake, Brunty, Smalley, Harvey, Rooney) and lets say RR and Jake are injured and Smalley is not firing on all cylinders. We still have Brunty + 2 so whats the emergency if DA used the emergency system? Go one step further and say ''.. but you've got 25 players and the fact that all your ''strikers'' are unavailable is not an emergency. Play a defender as a striker.

And I read
The 'Emergency Loan Window' has for many managers in the FL become every bit as important as the 31-day period for permanent transfers. While they can’t buy players, they can improve their squads with as many emergency loan moves as they like. Ostensibly, they are to cover injuries or suspensions (why? suspensions - players misbehave and the club suffers - tough!) - hence the use of the word 'emergency' - but they are increasingly used strategically by cash-strapped clubs to try and turn their seasons around.

To me it appears wrong and once the window shuts on Tuesday then that should be that except for real emergencies (GK?)
Back to top Go down

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm

For a real squad you need Hodgy. Didn't he play every single position for Argyle, even Goalie when Larryo got sent off? Cant remember the game despite being there, seem to remember we won. It was around that time that Frio got sent off for the spectacular goalie one handed save and Larryo saved the resulting pen.
Back to top Go down

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Too many clubs including Argyle Abuse the term emergency. It needs to be stricter and used only when clubs are short on available players only.
Back to top Go down

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:16 pm

The loan system is meant to be abused, just like "tax loopholes". We're animals, this is competition and big money, it's expected people will cheat, abuse, slag off. Well, apart from Saint James of course, who is such a fair minded citizen, he's never even  gone over the motoring speed limit in his life.
It's the best answer they've found that suits the long term business models of the mega clubs, and the football industry in general, while still retaining just enough local identity in your preferred brand team that drives most of the income.
If they had a perfect world, the football goons would have a professional pool of 2000 atheletes that would be dolled out every Friday night to all the clubs on prime time tv, and then these characters would scream around the country overnight into Saturday in their sponsored super motors, trying to find Ports Plymouth ( usual arf arf ). Maybe game plans could be auctioned off on a Thursday night, and players could tweet which plan they wanted to be involved with that week. Maybe they could buy themselves into a particular club for two special games a year, with the money going to charidee. Johnathan !, Johnathan !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Emergency Loans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency Loans   Emergency Loans Empty

Back to top Go down

Emergency Loans
Page 1 of 1