HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

To Kill A Mockingbird et al

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

To Kill A Mockingbird et al Empty
PostSubject: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Lots and lots of hype today about the publication of a second Harper Lee novel, Go Set A Watchman, featuring Scout and Atticus Finch 20 or so years on from her first which was the legendary To Kill A Mockingbird.

The publication of a second book by HL is something of a literary sensation given that for decades she had seemingly refused all atempts to get her to pen another story. This is all part of the mythology which has grown up around both her and her masterpiece first, and apparently only, novel.

Except she did, sort of, write a second novel as we now know which at the time was rejected, boxed up, forgotten about and then found in a dusty attic somewhere years later. Except she didn't because TKAM was a second draft of a story with GSAW being the first draft of the same tale. The story goes that GSAW was submitted to an editor but returned unpublished with suggestions for improvement which led to certain aspects of GSAW being emphasised, Scout's innocent take on events as they unfolded around her being the main one, and others reduced, the plot being widely torn apart and revised and the whole thing being set in an altogether different era. As re-writes go it is extreme in alteration.

The kicker here being that the liberal, compassionate lawyer hero of TKAM, Atticus, is revealed some years on to be anything but and is in fact pro-segregation, anti-civil rights and to all intents and purposes not the all-round good guy of lore but a rather nasty, ingrained, stubborn racist and there's been quite a kerfuffle about it.

I can't understand why. There's a couple of rather obvious facts here that simply seem to be escaping many who have commentated on it. Firstly Atticus Finch is not a real person; he is an invention; he could be anything the writer wants or needs him to be for narrative purposes; his opinions did not evolve over the time gap between TKAM and GSAW from one thing to another. Secondly GSAW is not a sequel to TKAM which a literal interpretation of the chosen eras for each story would suggest and nor is it a prequel due to it having been written before TKAM. The two stories are two discrete realisations of the same thematic ideas, and they are what matter, that Harper Lee had at the time.

I'm annoyingly het up about this having been forced to study TKAM for my O levels many years ago. "Here we go" I thought on being issued with the text "this is going to be a load of old crap". But it wasn't. I was hooked on it from reading the first page, took the book home, read it cover-to-cover and had completed it by the time we had our second lesson and I went on to read it many times. It had a huge impact on me just as it had a huge impact on so many people worldwide. It was, and remains, an unflinchingly brutal examination of the racism so deeply entrenched in American, but not just American, society. It is a wonderful novel beautfully plotted and realised and all seen through the eyes of Scout as a little girl who doesn't really understand much of the horror that is unfolding around her. If you've never read it then get a copy and read it. It really is as good as the hype around it suggests. If there is a Great American Novel* then this is it.

So do I feel cheated or betrayed or whatever by Atticus The Racist in GSAW. No. I don't really care. Am I keen to read GSAW? No. Its existence proves the value of a good editor without whom TKAM would never have been written. Reading it would be a bit like listening to one of those posthumous LPs cobbled together with a few dodgy live recordings, some demo tracks, unfinished studio work and songs that didn't make the cut to go on the earlier albums. There may be some good bits and they may be of interest to completist obsessives but mostly they are just a marketing ruse to exploit the legacy bequeathed by the good stuff that is already out there.

*The Catcher In The Rye is another often lauded as the Greatest American Novel. Don't bother with it is my advice. It's phoney.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 pm

All those opinions and you haven't even read it yet....

PS. You know Jem is dead, right?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 10:45 pm

I'm thinking about writing a novel myself-"To kill a fecking Seagull" after one of the bleeders attacked me and took the top half of my Mr Whippy ice cream at Paignton last week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Greenskin wrote:
I'm thinking about writing a novel myself-"To kill a fecking Seagull" after one of the bleeders attacked me and took the top half of my Mr Whippy ice cream at Paignton last week.

I'd buy it they are like vermin these days.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 11:03 pm

Rickler wrote:
All those opinions and you haven't even read it yet....

PS.  You know Jem is dead, right?

I don't really have an opinion regarding GSAW. It may be magical for all I know.

My opinion on the significance of New Atticus The Racist is another thing. Some seem to be very upset by this. I think they are missing the point somewhat because TKAM is riddled with racism; racism is the entire point of the story. He is what he is in each story, whatever that may be, because that was how he needed to be for narrative purposes - just like every other fictional character ever invented.

And it is fact, not an opinion, that the first draft was rejected. That would have happened for a reason so it's probably not very good - which is more an inference. A value judgement if you like. Rather like everybody makes when they decide whether or not to read something.

As for Catcher In The Rye... that was opinion and I have read it and it is still phoney.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 8:36 am

Greenskin wrote:

Brought a smile to my face.....your whippy whipped by a seagull.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 9:00 am

zyph wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Brought a smile to my face.....your whippy whipped by a seagull.

It was quite a day for encounters with our furry/feathered friends. The reason I was in Paignton was that I had some time to kill before playing golf at Churston. Duly got to the course [where ,incidentally, there was a "beware of the seagulls" sign in the clubhouse patio window] and had played a few holes when the 3 ball in front asked if i'd like to join them, which I did. Played a couple more holes and arrived at a green with lots of trees around it. We parked our bags around the greens and the other blokes were playing their shots when I noticed a squirrel climbing up my golf bag. I had no food in my bag, so the squirrel finished looking and climbed up one of the other bags. The bag in question had a Topic bar in the top pouch, which was about a quarter open-I kid you not, the squirrel opened the pouch and pinched the Topic and buggered off up the nearest tree with it's swag! One of those things that you wouldn't believe unless you saw it yourself but it definitely happened, wished i'd had the time and quickness of mind to take a film of it on the mobile. Presume it was attracted to the nuts in the Topic, must have an amazing nose for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 8:21 pm

The whole publishing/art/entertainment industry is stuck in retro/revisit/re monetise old classics that were of their time. Art is something that just gels magically and a confluence of the times. We ourselves create these art moments. Rarely is it the genius of the humans concerned.
I heard the pr crap on the radio and was instantly reminded of a good friend of mine who has trudged around the USA and the planet for donkeys' ears managing Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent, those two well known art legends (to some). It wasn't art.
It only happens once. I need only say Sturrock 2.
Re
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird et al   To Kill A Mockingbird et al Empty

Back to top Go down

To Kill A Mockingbird et al
Page 1 of 1