SwimWithTheTide
Mock Cuncher
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 7:44 am

Should Argyle be forced to interview at least one Black/ethnic minority coach for the Manager job?

Will we, even if we weren't forced to?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 am

Shouldn't need to be forced, but appears to be unfortunately necessary.
Back to top Go down

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:48 am

I think the FA need to get to the bottom of the reason why black managers are not being appointed. If it is a case of institutionalised racism then yet - something needs to be done.
Back to top Go down

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 am

Forced? I'm not sure Argo should be forced to interview a Black person or someone from the ethnic community. I'm all for who ever's best suited for the job should be interviewed, regardless of colour or creed.

I have no idea if there's any institutionalised racism on the FA's part, but the ratio of white potential managers to black potential mangers/coaches is quite diverse. That may project the illusion of racism? I don't know, I don't really care. i don't care if Mabel of the Mortonhampstead W.I takes charge or Abdul Mohamed bin salad cameltoe alhadmadi or Bob Marley, well it'll have to be Ziggy Marley for obvious reason, takes charge - if they have the credentials to take this dog-shit, two-bit, clueless excuse for a football club upwards and onward - sign em up, take em on.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:39 am

SwimWithTheTide wrote:

This.

I don't think there's nothing wrong with obliging us to interview any BME candidates that are deluded enough to want to manage us.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:40 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Should Argyle be forced to interview at least one Black/ethnic minority coach for the Manager job?

Will we, even if we weren't forced to?

No. End of story.
Back to top Go down

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:49 am

SwimWithTheTide wrote:

It isnt need fullstop. Cant see how guaranteeing black men interviews for jobs is going to suddenly spark an employment boom to raise demographic numbers.

If your good enough for the job in question a club will hire you based on that, it matters not if your black or white.

I rather the FA/FL actually really looked at the actual issue without pandering to the pressure groups trying to hint at a racism as the reason why (and it isnt) many ex black pros are not going into coaching or management when they retire, because bringing in a rooney rule isnt going to change anything really. Clubs have to interview at least 1 black candidate to meet a quota box whether that guy is suitable for the job or not, it isnt going to mean the guy gets the job after it all or more black guys hired based on this rooney rule alone.

Only by encouraging more black footballers coming to the end of their careers who want too, to take their coaching badges and learn the coaching/managerial trade at a club or clubs and go for these jobs on the back of that along with their own enthusiasm for the vacancy applied for will it change over time.

Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:54 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think the FA need to get to the bottom of the reason why black managers are not being appointed. If it is a case of institutionalised racism then yet - something needs to be done.

Good Post

It would be interesting to know the percentages of how many "non-white" v "white" players go on to take their coaching badges and how many are available.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:46 am

Cornish Chris wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

This.

I don't think there's nothing wrong with obliging us to interview any BME candidates that are deluded enough to want to manage us.

What's a bme?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:49 am

Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

It isnt need fullstop. Cant see how guaranteeing black men interviews for jobs is going to suddenly spark an employment boom to raise demographic numbers.

If your good enough for the job in question a club will hire you based on that, it matters not if your black or white.

I rather the FA/FL actually really looked at the actual issue without pandering to the pressure groups trying to hint at a racism as the reason why (and it isnt)  many ex black pros are not going into coaching or management when they retire, because bringing in a rooney rule isnt going to change anything really. Clubs have to interview at least 1 black candidate to meet a quota box whether that guy is suitable for the job or not, it isnt going to mean the guy gets the job after it all or more black guys hired based on this rooney rule alone.

Only by encouraging more black footballers coming to the end of their careers who want too, to take their coaching badges and learn the coaching/managerial trade at a club or clubs and go for these jobs on the back of that along with their own enthusiasm for the vacancy applied for will it change over time.

Good Post
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 11:07 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

This.

What's a bme?

Black / Minority Ethnic.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 11:18 am

Cornish Chris wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

This.

What's a bme?

Black / Minority Ethnic.

Thanks/OK
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Has anyone non-whites have *ever* been linked with the Argyle Manager post?

How many black players have we got in the squad, and how many have we had over the years? How many of them became managers?

I know in an "ideal" world, it isn't needed. However we live in a world where 35-40% of players in the country are non white, and just 4% of managers.

I don't know. I don't know if it's the right solution, or even the right problem. Just interested to see others' views.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Has anyone non-whites have *ever* been linked with the Argyle Manager post?

How many black players have we got in the squad, and how many have we had over the years? How many of them became managers?

I know in an "ideal" world, it isn't needed. However we live in a world where 35-40% of players in the country are non white, and just 4% of managers.

I don't know. I don't know if it's the right solution, or even the right problem. Just interested to see others' views.

Its down to the fa to ask and find out why the 35% are not going down the coaching/mangement route. We dont live in an aparthied state where non whites are forbidden from applying for managerial/ assisant roles.

They arent doing it for some reason its either they are simply not interested or they arent being encouraged or taught how to go about getting into those roles.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Does seem odd in a game with loads of black players there's hardly any black managers
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Freathy wrote:
Does seem odd in a game with loads of black players there's hardly any black managers

Which is pretty much where American Football started.

It wasn't long ago that black QBs were a rarity. The success of Doug Williams (Redskins) and Randall Cunningham (Eagles) in the '80s put an end to that but it took a whiile to get there.

And then they suddenly realised that despite the game having oodles of black players there had never been a black head coach: hence the Rooney rule.

Pre-Rooney there had only ever been 7 BME NFL head coaches. Since Rooney (2003) there's been 14.

I can't see the problem with Rooney here. They have always given, and still give, the job to the best candidate and nobody is suggesting that they do otherwise either there or here.

It's significant because the first step in dealing with a problem is accepting that there is one and the very existence of talk about a Rooney rule at all proves that there is.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Freathy wrote:

Which is pretty much where American Football started.

It wasn't long ago that black QBs were a rarity. The success of Doug Williams (Redskins) and Randall Cunningham (Eagles) in the '80s put an end to that but it took a whiile to get there.

And then they suddenly realised that despite the game having oodles of black players there had never been a black head coach: hence the Rooney rule.

Pre-Rooney there had only ever been 7 BME NFL head coaches. Since Rooney (2003) there's been 14.

I can't see the problem with Rooney here. They have always given, and still give, the job to the best candidate and nobody is suggesting that they do otherwise either there or here.

It's significant because the first step in dealing with a problem is accepting that there is one and the very existence of talk about a Rooney rule at all proves that there is.

but it doesnt address any issues at all just gives a golden ticket to interviews much like in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Surely if they are 'good' enough (as potential managers) it would happen. Black players who are 'good' enough aren't overlooked in favour of white players, are they? Of course not. Clubs would be mental

I think it's more to do with mentality than anything else. Are the same proportion (of those playing the game) of black players trying to get in to management? I may be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that they aren't.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Angry wrote:

but it doesnt address any issues at all just gives a golden ticket to interviews much like in the NFL.

I've just flicked through the ''out of work managers'' and in the first 50 there was 2 black managers who have managed in England. Possible reason why not many are interviewed. This golden ticket is similar to the 2-ticks symbol that makes employers interview disabled applicants which, in itself, is discriminatory. Add to that the plans to make ''obesity'' a disability and suddenly employers will be interviewing 20 people for each job. The only fair way is a totally level playing field.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 pm

What if no black 'football' man is interested in the job? Are you supposed to bus one in from another walk of life for a token interview just to appease the bleeding heart brigade? Isn't it a bit patronising giving someone a shoe in just because of their skin colour? It's all a bit forced and false imo, very North American. I'm sure if the candidates had the potential or credentials for the job and were interested in the post they'd be given a chance on merit, the last QPR manager was. I don't believe there is a problem in English football with racism these days, especially at boardroom level.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:25 pm

It only applies if a BME person applies for the job.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 pm

They have to be given an interview, regardless of suitability?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
What if no black 'football' man is interested in the job? Are you supposed to bus one in from another walk of life for a token interview just to appease the bleeding heart brigade? Isn't it a bit patronising giving someone a shoe in just because of their skin colour? It's all a bit forced and false imo, very North American. I'm sure if the candidates had the potential or credentials for the job and were interested in the post they'd be given a chance on merit, the last QPR manager was. I don't believe there is a problem in English football with racism these days, especially at boardroom level.

Fackin plagiarist! cheers
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Surely if they are 'good' enough (as potential managers) it would happen. Black players who are 'good' enough aren't overlooked in favour of white players, are they? Of course not. Clubs would be mental

I think it's more to do with mentality than anything else. Are the same proportion (of those playing the game) of black players trying to get in to management?  I may be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that they aren't.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:34 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The "Rooney" Rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Rooney" Rule   The "Rooney" Rule Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Rooney" Rule
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next