Greenskin
Damon.Lenszner
Cornish Chris
Josh Pope
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh Pope

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

Luke Young PotY at Torquay is one thing, but Hourihane is PotY at a club who are actually decent in the league above.

200k is an absolute embarrassment really, but just imagine where we would be if we still had Hourihane OR had someone who knew what they were doing and sold him for a suitable price with enough money to buy someone else, not a Bristol Rovers reject for example..

Ugh. Bournemouth promoted as well. All it's done is make me realise where we actually are.. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 am

Remember when we won away to Bournemouth on Boxing Day in our 2003-4 promotion year? When Wotton took a shot from miles out, the Bournemouth fans were doing the 'how-wide?' gesture, until they realised the wind was taking it in. Good times.
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Remember when we won away to Bournemouth on Boxing Day in our 2003-4 promotion year? When Wotton took a shot from miles out, the Bournemouth fans were doing the 'how-wide?' gesture, until they realised the wind was taking it in. Good times.

Don't normally bet on Argyle but remember going in to the away end that day and seeing a bookies advertising the first scorer odds. Couldn't believe Wotton was 14 - 1 so had a little punt at £20. Didn't like the fact that after the game I had to go through their supporters bar to get to the pay-out desk. But I braved it!!!
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Best punt I ever had was Eliot Ward to score first against Wolves, it was his first or second game for us I seem to recall, I thought feck it 35-1 worth a fiver, booty.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

Don't normally bet on Argyle but remember going in to the away end that day and seeing a bookies advertising the first scorer odds. Couldn't believe Wotton was 14 - 1 so had a little punt at £20. Didn't like the fact that after the game I had to go through their supporters bar to get to the pay-out desk. But I braved it!!!

I thought there were laws against officals betting on football or where you a non director at the time?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:

Two of the weirdest Argyle goals ever that day-the one that you mention and a shot from Norris which hit the bar and rebounded about six yards only for the wind and backspin to take it back into the net. Good trip that day, pissing down but didn't stop the pissing up.

And Hourihane was undersold badly [shouldn't have been sold at all in fact] but you get used to that after so many years as an Argyle fan.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Arguably our most successful ex-player is Barrie Silkman.

As I recall he was a keen, buzzy little winger blessed with a bit of pace and a low centre of gravity. Definitely a crowd-pleaser at any rate.

He clearly had the economics of the game sussed early on and played a good 10 different clubs. Maybe even 20. Along the way he'd have pocketed many a signing-on fee fore shore.

So it's no surprise he's one of the most high-profile player's agents now - which is where he seems to have found his true vocation.

The other obvious one is Paul Mariner who has trodden a much more orthodox path even if it took him to the US.

Bobby Saxton? He was assistant manager at Blackburn for quite a stint.

Dan Gosling has probably done alright too with the prospects ahead of him pretty fair. Same for Bolassie and Mackie but Craig Noone and Joe Mason have kind of dropped off my radar. What are they up to?

Slim pickings given the hundreds who have come and gone.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Does King Tommy count?? I mean he was an ex-player when he returned.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 pm

tigertony wrote:

Dont think so i mean who has heard of him outside Plymouth even to this day?
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

As I recall he was a keen, buzzy little winger blessed with a bit of pace and a low centre of gravity. Definitely a crowd-pleaser at any rate.

He clearly had the economics of the game sussed early on and played a good 10 different clubs. Maybe even 20. Along the way he'd have pocketed many a signing-on fee fore shore.

So it's no surprise he's one of the most high-profile player's agents now - which is where he seems to have found his true vocation.

The other obvious one is Paul Mariner who has trodden a much more orthodox path even if it took him to the US.

Dan Gosling has probably done alright too with the prospects ahead of him pretty fair. Same for Bolassie and Mackie but Craig Noone and Joe Mason have kind of dropped off my radar. What are they up to?

Puncheon has done alright for himself too
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Blimey, you've left a few out there.Dave Phillips, Gary Megson, Martin Hodge, Mike Trebilcock, Cliff Jackson, Colin Sullivan, Alex Govan, Len Boyd, Gordon Astall, Bill Rafferty, Paul Barron, Melija Aleksic, David Jack, Ray Bowden, Tony Book, Nicky Jennings, Andy Morrison, Nicky Marker, David Norris, Jamie Mackie, Buzz, Richard Reynolds and Norman Piper for a start.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 pm

As soon as I hit enter I thought of Marker and Morrison and it is only the relatively recent ex-players that will make a bundle playing.

Obviously there's going to oodles who have had a journeyman-type career without ever really hitting the heights of wealth and fame but how many have had a lucrative career as a player and beyond? Not that many. I don't know what Jock is up to these days but Marker is helping out at Ivybridge FC and that can't pay much.

Tony Book is a good shout but he was before my time and as such not really on my radar. Should have thought of Megson.

I wouldn't mind betting that Silkman has more wedge stashed than any of them though.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Angry wrote:
tigertony wrote:

Dont think so i mean who has heard of him outside Plymouth even to this day?

He's a legend in Newport too.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Ashley Barnes has done bloody well for himself. I remember watching him in youth FA cup games for us and just not seeing what the fuss was about. He wasn't ever our best youth striker I thought! Now he is regularly starting 3 divisions above Argyle.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 11:45 pm

I imagine that part of the reason behind the success of Barnes is because his strengths aren't his technical ability, it's the way he plays, strong, rugged etc and that is something that perhaps becomes more apparant with age. I don't know in all honesty, but am surprised he made it as far as the BPL. I think he'll probably end up a decemt to pretty good Championship striker over the course of his career now, but one of those who'll still be playing in League 2 at the age of 38 for someone like Northampton probably.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:08 am

Trevor FOOKIN Francis.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:29 am

Calvin Plummer
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:48 am

Wasn't Francis the first player to sell for a million pounds?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am

I think Morrison is an assistant manager for one of the welsh sides - Airbus? He seems to follow Andy Preece the ex Blackpool forward to clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 10:39 am

Iggy wrote:

I think he was.

He never played for Argyle though.
Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 10:54 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Iggy wrote:

I think he was.

He never played for Argyle though.

True, as a Plymouth bhey he's probably the best player who should have played for argyle although im pretty sure he played as a yoof. Big miss that, I blame lack of ambition.
fishing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ex-Players Success Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ex-Players Success   Ex-Players Success Empty

Back to top Go down

Ex-Players Success
Page 1 of 1