Greenskin
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Well Done Cherries! Empty
PostSubject: Bournemouth   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm

All but in the premier league after beating Bolton 3-0 tonight. Will they be a Swansea or a Blackpool? Whatever, pretty fantastic achievement for them to get there in the first place-good manager with a pile of cash to spend, couldn't really go wrong. Could be another club to overtake Argyle in the long term, one among many in the last 50 years. Sickening but congratulations to them anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Well done Bournemouth on a dream come true!!

Jealous.

Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Rickler wrote:
Well done Bournemouth on a dream come true!!

Jealous.

Fantastic for Bournemouth delighted for them, who knows once the quivering lip finally goes, the dream might be back on..... jealous + 1.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 pm

Their Russian money man was absolutely shitfaced. Brilliant.

Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 pm

A quite remarkable rise with the help of their sugar daddy. I'm not sure how FFP will affect their status playing in a stadium that holds 14K. Isn't it based on turnover not cheques from the owner? Their major snag will be keeping Howe who now has a rather good CV. Well done to them and it shows that it can be done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Cant wait for the premiership lovies to moan about going to their little ground,

Well done to them and it wasnt so long ago they were fighting to stay in the football league.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Good luck to them, no doubt there'll be some sarky comments about their admin period, Russian billionaire and all that bollocks, feck em all, cherries get stuck into those bleddy prima donnas next season and shove it up em
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Brilliant for them and I sincerely hope they can stay up and thrive, I can't though, help but feel some resentment at just how far we've fallen.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 pm

As I've been telling women all my life, size doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 5:16 am

Whilst they've had some Russian investment this was originally given to save them. Most of the team that played last night were secured for transfer fees of under 200k and formed the backbone of the league one team. They've admittedly been joined by big fees for Callum Wilson but this was offset by the sale of Lewis Grabban.

This is no Roman Ambramovich or Qatari tale.

Anyone who saw the game or have watched them play will realise that it is Eddie Howe that is the main reason for this success. He is exactly the new breed of manager that is a million miles away from the "Big Rons" of this world. It is a perfect fit though. A local man, revered for saving the club initially, working under minimal supporter pressure and delivering entertaining, attacking and thoroughly enjoyable football. They've gone up and have done so scoring 5's and 6's away from home.

I think they may be okay in the Premiership. He certainly won't change their style of play. The increase in TV money actually helps the Bournemouths of this world as the impact of gate receipts on revenue are minimised.

All in all living 400 yards from the stadium it was hard to take trying to fall asleep with the window closed at 10pm last night and hearing the celebrations. I've got many friends who go regularly and the school has more Bournemouth fans than "big clubs" (they've been told that for today they can wear their Bournemouth football tops to school and wear red) but still bloody jealous. Given everything that has happened to Argyle in recent years watching a whole town become excited and proud of their football team feels a bit like being outside Willy Wonka's factory, but without the golden ticket.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 am

Better times for Carl Fletcher who's working with the youth players......Argyle must feel a lifetime away for him now.

How long can they hold on to Eddie Howe......everyone has there price.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:40 am

zyph wrote:
Better times for Carl Fletcher who's working with the youth players......Argyle must feel a lifetime away for him now.

Sometimes a manager and a club are just a perfect fit. Seems to be the case with Howe and AFCB.

Last time he had success with them he left for the Burnley job which turned out to be a mistake. If I was a betting man I'd say Southampton would be the most likely destination, if they were to lose Koeman.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:47 am

Great for them, both them and Brentford have gone into that division and played lovely, entertaining football and both have maintained the momentum as did Swansea and Hull. It just makes it all the more galling that we followed the path we did when we had that opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:07 am

We are of course now in a minority. There are more current football league clubs who have played in the Premiership than those who haven't. All the more galling when it seems such a world away.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 am

Watford n Bournemouth........... the Italians and the the Russians.

We have the reluctant one and his jamboys.  laugh :Suicide:
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 am

Czarcasm wrote:
zyph wrote:

Sometimes a manager and a club are just a perfect fit. Seems to be the case with Howe and AFCB.

Last time he had success with them he left for the Burnley job which turned out to be a mistake. If I was a betting man I'd say Southampton would be the most likely destination, if they were to lose Koeman.

I always wondered what would have happened if Sturrock had not been tempted away to Southampton before he had completed our second promotion.

Impossible to know of course.....maybe Sturrock would have met his level in the Championship......going beyond that with a team he hadn't built was probably a step too far at Southampton.

The problem with the Premiership is money does more than likely bring success.....next season will be a step into the unknown for Bournemouth......they might start off ok, but by the new year they might be found out and start to struggle when their style gets nullified.

Swansea have done brilliantly to compete well in the top league and overcome management changes.....but the next change of management might be one too many.....it is hard for smaller clubs to compete year after year at this level.....and a continuous pumping in of money is required.....a wearing down under pressure sometimes becomes too much......but even so..... I'd like to see Argyle in that position.....I've waited 60 years so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 am

The prem. is a feckin farce, a circus, good luck to them but they will struggle to stay there.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 am

Yup. I think their best bet is to try to replicate the moderate success of Dave Whelan's Wigan. They also didn't really have a history of success, but they had a couple of top-half finishes and got to a Cup Final or two.

A nice local game for all of Devon's lifelong diehard Chelsea and Man U fans, too.
Back to top Go down
Gareth Nicholson

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Fair play to them and I'm sure they'll enjoy their year of being patronised by Gary Lineker and whichever vanilla drone presents Sky Sports.

I'm not sure i've ever dreamed about Argyle reaching the Premier League. It really doesn't bother me if they don't. If ticket prices were reasonable, the club were doing *the right things* off the pitch and if the football was decent to watch and close to a pint with friends, I'd be perfectly happy following them in any division.

I like Bournemouth's manager, but I wonder how much scope he'd get down here. We seem to like RAW UNFOCUSED PASSION rather than tactical acumen and a clear strategic direction. Give us a technical area titan, a master of shaken fist screaming over a bespectacled thinker.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

It's hard to imagine any bespectacled thinkers being silly enough to sign for us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
It's hard to imagine any bespectacled thinkers being silly enough to sign for us.

Not with some of our fans hell bent on keep the reluctant one in charge...

you can see it now that he will get all the credit if we win the playoffs from them.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Someone has pointed out the Charlton ''twitter'' account where a fan is mighty hacked off that the football world give Charlton no chance of getting a 19-0 win laugh
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Iggy wrote:
The prem. is a feckin farce, a circus, good luck to them but they will struggle to stay there.

It's better to have loved and lost....etc etc

At least their fans (or those fortunate enough to get season tickets) will enjoy a season or two in the big time, maybe even more.

All we have to look forward to is getting dicked by no-mark FC in the L2 play-off semis and another season of miserable struggle in dogshit div 4

BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 pm

The Cherries success somehow amplifies just how self-serving and fecking village the previous and current custodians of Plymouth Argyle really are. A tired and terminally doomed provincial football club run by feckless and greedy wannabes and braggadocios in every year of the 40 odd years I've supported and followed it. Nah .... I'm just jealous....nah.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! EmptyFri May 01, 2015 11:32 am

Hitch wrote:

The Cherries success somehow amplifies just how self-serving and fecking village the previous and current custodians of Plymouth Argyle really are. A tired and terminally doomed provincial football club run by feckless and greedy wannabes and braggadocios in every year of the 40 odd years I've supported and followed it. Nah .... I'm just jealous....nah.
Feckin village !  laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well Done Cherries!   Well Done Cherries! Empty

Back to top Go down

Well Done Cherries!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Zoo Corner-
Jump to: