+2
Dick Trickle
Sir Francis Drake
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? Empty
PostSubject: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 am

Last night's was a tricky one.

"Absolutely no contact - it was a dive" is one way of looking at it but is it reasonable to do so?

The goalie came steaming out, dived in at full pelt and Rooney jumped over him and went down but what else was he supposed to do? He could have tried to stay on his feet, I suppose, but chose not to - if he did make that choice and it wasn't a natural result of avoiding the challenge, that is.

Do we expect players to actually not try to avoid a clobbering thus risking injury to themselves before we give them a free kick or penalty? Surely that's plain daft.

This all boils down to how the incident is perceived by the individual. I can see why some might insist that Rooney dived, and I suppose he did, but I don't think it is one of those farcical dives, cheating or an attempt to con the ref; I think it was just how he avoided the challenge.

And I think it was definitely a penalty if not for an actual foul on Rooney then for reckless play by the goalie.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Penalty on the basis that if he had kept both feet on the floor he'd now be out for 6 months. The goalie was not in control at all.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Yeah I also think it was a pen. People would moan for his stamp if he had made contact but then they're the sort who do it because it's United, not because of anything else.

Echo the above sentiments.
Back to top Go down
womble

womble

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Penalty. It was a choice between hurdling the challenge or risk getting taken out.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Wouldn't have been a penalty at the other end.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Greenskin wrote:

Course not because De Gea is far too intelligent to hurtle himself in like a mad man in the way the Preston keeper did.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Course not because De Gea is far too intelligent to hurtle himself in like a mad man in the way the Preston keeper did.

Ah,the innocence of youth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:37 am

Definite penalty, there doesn't have to be physical contact for a direct free kick to be awarded
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Did I see he has apologised for diving?

Any deliberate dive is an attempt to con the referee.

If he has he should have the England captaincy removed. Diving along with all the holding / wrestling that goes on at corners etc. is a stain on football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Yes he did apologise, but i think the dive was more to avoid injury, the way that keeper whacked into him was a potential leg breaker, but a direct free kick can be awarded just for the intent.
I do agree with you on all that pushing and shirt pulling, how was that allowed to creep in, I would have thought refs could have sorted that out quite easily by awarding a few penalties/sendings of etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?   The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rooney Dive and was it a penalty?
Page 1 of 1