Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Purse signs (almost)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Purse signs (almost) Empty
PostSubject: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Part 2 of the survival (IMO!) is just about complete.

OS Linky

There is a caveat in the article that says "subject to Football League approval", but I think I can give a small sigh of relief that we have him until the end of the season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

means nowt without wins
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I was under the impression that he was signing for 18 months.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Phenom wrote:
means nowt without wins

Agreed.

Hopefully though, part of getting those wins is shoring up our ever so leaky defence.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Greenskin wrote:

His wages in the conference ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

This is a good point.

It'd be interesting to know which side of the deal stipulated the 6 month contract.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

and despite being painted as the greatest defender of all time by a few he is on his last legs in terms of his playing career. A deal till the end of the season is good thinking as if he can play on another season i club can extend it if not he leaves hand shakes all round maybe to another club maybe on to do his coaching badges.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Just shows what we are up against in trying to sign players. Here you have someone who original waited to come to us even pitching up at Yeovil in the meanwhile, who obviously loves it down here, seems settled and fitting into the team whislt being a good influence yet despite all that he's only committed to the end of the season with relegation staring us in the face.

How we turn the heads of any other decent players of the same standard in anyone's guess and by golly we need 4 or 5 Purseseses.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Dougie wrote:
Just shows what we are up against in trying to sign players. Here you have someone who original waited to come to us even pitching up at Yeovil in the meanwhile, who obviously loves it down here, seems settled and fitting into the team whislt being a good influence yet despite all that he's only committed to the end of the season with relegation staring us in the face.

How we turn the heads of any other decent players of the same standard in anyone's guess and by golly we need 4 or 5 Purseseses.

he's 34 he wont earn a longer deal anywhere else to be honest. 6month to a year max.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm

So much for the 18 month contract that was being talked about as gospel.

Seems a bit strange only signing until the end of the season. Could have just added a relegation release clause into a longer contract. That way Purse can leave if he wishes and the club aren't stuck paying his wages. Or maybe I play too much football manager.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Maybe his wage demands are relatively high and an 18 month contract would never have got Football League approval?

They are keeping a close eye on us after all.

**edited cos I'm crap at spelling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I never believed the "Bleeds green" routine we were asked to swallow. perhaps now he's been down here a bit, he realises relegation IS a real posibility

And, on the other hand, I wouldn't be offering long term contracts to anyone while we peer over the precipice. Still, Webby's there, Plymouth's football intelligentsia..... sorry Ultra.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I haven't bothered to look this up on any official announcement as they normally only trot out the "he signs" and "glad to be here" lines. But, I can't see anything wrong with this being until the end of the season and maybe it offers both sides the option of extending if we stay in the football league. We made the mistake of handing out longer contracts before and then got relegated which ultimately lead to our almost demise. Perhaps somebody at the club has had a wave of wisdom in contract negotiation. I also don't see why this should deter others from signing if they get an opportunity. The length of other contracts might well depend on the wages agreed. If at the lower end then maybe a longer period might be justified but if higher than could be afforded one league down then short is best for everybody.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Maybe Purse was sold a bit of a dud one the same as Brent was when some fool told him we were only a couple of players off a decent side!
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:

he's 34 he wont earn a longer deal anywhere else to be honest. 6month to a year max.

Good point. Guess I swallowed the 18 months contract as a given.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 pm

I wonder why Chadders was given an 18 month contract if the club were thinking in such a short term manner.Comes from a non league club and would almost certainly demand a lesser wage but he's hardly going to uproot his family for a pittance,i wouldn't have thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Dougie wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:

well true to form the president told me rather bluntly that he has a 6month deal and then an automatic 12month contract should we stay up.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:

well true to form the president told me rather bluntly that he has a 6month deal and then an automatic 12month contract should we stay up.

You have the confidence of the president?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Dougie wrote:

You have the confidence of the president?

yes Obama is doing a fantastic job Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purse signs (almost)   Purse signs (almost) Empty

Back to top Go down

Purse signs (almost)
Page 1 of 1