Lord Melbury
tigertony
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tigertony

tigertony

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Coming up to Plymouth Thursday and need a used black boot lid for my Saab Convert. (1997) Not really knowing much about used car spares firms can anyone reccommend the most likely breakers in Plymouth where I may find one.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Can only think of Clean Spares in Valley Road, Plympton & RPB near Cattedown Wharf.

Sadly gone are the days when you could wander into numerous scrapyards with a spanner or two & dismantle bits yourself Sad
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 10:12 pm

RPB  beside interfish as car spare are finish, only do tyres now, old man move to a new MOT garage further down the RD.

Thistle Park Garage Lt
4 Barbican Approach, Plymouth
01752 256050

Just off Sutton Rd

TT you mate from exe web should fix you up.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks guys - I'll try them. Could respray mine for £150 ish just after a cheaper option. Did find one in Midlands! Wanted total of £140 to get it down to me - and probably used last by a DNB so would require a good nitty gritty clean.
Back to top Go down

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 am

Breakwater spares is just around the corner from the one TGWU said about, round the corner from the Breakwater pub. RIP. small stock though.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 pm

tigertony wrote:
Thanks guys - I'll try them. Could respray mine for £150 ish just after a cheaper option. Did find one in Midlands! Wanted total of £140 to get it down to me - and probably used last by a DNB so would require a good nitty gritty clean.

If you're not looking to respray it, then the chances of a Plymouth breakers carrying a boot lid in a certain colour on a pretty obscure 18yr old motor, is slim. Best bet is Yellow pages>>Car Breakers, Plymouth>>ring them. May save you driving round aimlessly.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 1:59 pm

While we're on the subject of ancient cars: I followed a Mk 1 Fiesta into work today. I had one of those bad boys as my first ever car. Its end came when some pillock in a Maestro drove into it when it was parked and it completely disintegrated. I dread to think what would happen to anyone who actually had a shunt in one. The perils of very light rust-prone cars I guess....
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 2:44 pm

FY 310 wrote:
Can only think of Clean Spares in Valley Road, Plympton & RPB near Cattedown Wharf.

Sadly gone are the days when you could wander into numerous scrapyards with a spanner or two & dismantle bits yourself Sad

Had to smile when you mentioned wandering around scrapyards with a spanner or two.......handing back old cars for a few quid in part exchange as they did a while back killed off the old spares market.....straight in the crusher many went.

A few years back when my son was around twenty he needed the short hose link between the filler cap and the petrol tank on a very old mini.....long gone were the day when it was buyable in the spares shop.

One Sunday morning in East London wandering around a huge scrap yard in the rain and mud......my lad recognized a similar model four up in a stack of old cars. Opened our tool box and took a few useful  tools out and slipped them in his back pocket.....and proceeded to climb up this stack of cars....whilst I tried to stop them toppling over by leaning against the pile.....my son actually disappeared inside this mini with his feet hanging out a window....laying on his back removing the length of hose (only about 4in long) twenty minutes later he had remove it.....whilst I kept trying to counter balance this pile of cars and getting soaked to the skin whilst peering upward into the rain.......they charged him two quid for it.....we both needed a bath once we got back home......those where the days.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 5:04 pm

My first ever car in 1979 was a Mini 1275GT, ran out of coolant on the M5 once and I topped it up with two cans of orange fizzy drink, did need a new head (from scrappy) after that but the whole repair was £45 - great car.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 am

Used to go out almost every Sunday with my brother to scrappies looking for parts for our cars (both had Fords, me a Mk3 Cortina and he had a Cortina and then a Capri).

I remember climbing up a pile of cars to get some bits at a yard in Colnbrook near Heathrow and a plane going over very low after take off and the lot I was on shaking like an earthquake. I almost shit myself!

After that if the car wasn't on the ground or the next one up my little bruv went up. Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 am

PatDunne wrote:
My first ever car in 1979 was a Mini 1275GT, ran out of coolant on the M5 once and I topped it up with two cans of orange fizzy drink, did need a new head (from scrappy) after that but the whole repair was £45 - great car.

I had a couple of minis as well, not a posh 1275GT (although the cooper 1100s was the best they ever made) I had a 1000 clubman and an old 850. The 850 went as well as the clubman although the floor was rotted. I patched the floor with baked bean cans that I opened out, hammered flat then pop riveted them in place with plenty of bitumen, worked a treat. I've had to change the rocker assembly in one of them, £3 from the scrappy removed myself and swapped over in the yard in a couple of hours. Tax in post sticker in the window, insurance feck all, siphon the odd bit of petrol, those were the days.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:41 am

My first introduction to Mini's...was when a work mate lent me his in the dinner break so I could pop up to New Cross to replace a broken sparking plug for my Austin A35........couldn't start the damn thing.....he had to show me that the starter was a button on the floor nearly under the driving seat......why ?
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 am

I couldn't find the battery at first in my 'posh' 1275GT, who would have thought it was in the boot Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 10:21 am

And the dip switch for the headlights was on the floor to the left of the clutch. Before I fixed the leaks in the rear wheel arches the car would fill up with water and the lights would stick on full beam. And the windscreen wipers broke driving back from Brizzle one night. Whilst the nostalgia is nice I wouldn't swap my van for a mini.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 11:51 am

Dip switch for the Austin A35 was literally behind the clutch as well......you could wipe the rear window by reaching over from the driving seat......of course not when your driving.

Dreadful steering system.....worm and pinion......had to continually adjust the pinion to take away the free movement in the steering.....just held in the worm with a lock nut....kept working loose, quite nerve wracking at times on a long journey, especially in the dark.

That was my first car.....bought for the princely sum of £200......a lot of dosh in the mid nineteen sixties.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Used car spares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Used car spares   Used car spares Empty

Back to top Go down

Used car spares
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: