The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We will not forget

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 am

On this day my Great Uncle John Solway died 100 years ago
He was buried with no age on his headstone, as he lied about his age to be allowed to join up, he was only 17.
I only found out about him ten years ago and have visit the grave many time. I was pleased that I took my mother over there to pay her respect before she passed away.

He was in the 1st Bn Devonshire Regiment, he is buried in the CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ in FRANCE but was kill in Belgium at the battle for Mons.

Rest in Peace John
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 10:23 am

There are so many poignant tales, a brave man, thank you John Solway.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 10:26 am

A tragic loss of so many lives. RIP
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 am

My great-grandfather died on 1 November 1914, so two days short of the centenary. He was 23, and a private in the German army. As far as we can work out, he never got to meet his daughter (my grandmother). Please remember the killed soldiers of all nationalities, who were all equally blameless.
Back to top Go down

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 pm

I recall seeing several coaches of school children when i was in Antwerp being dropped off outside the war cemetery who went on to spend the whole day cleaning all or as many allied forces war graves from both conflicts (however i always say WW1 didn't finish in 1918 but 1945) as they could from dusk till dawn as a mark of respect.

I was later told that this was a tradition that started from 1946. Even today what they did for their country hasnt been forgotten and never will.

Back to top Go down
Tgwu

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Agree with every think said above, to many lives lost for so little, both side I salute you all. I do spend some days over in Belgium just walking through the different battle fields from Waterloo to 1945. I still cannot get over the size and the large numbers of cemeteries there are over there. Been in town this morning with the soldiers of today.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Angry wrote:
I always say WW1 didn't finish in 1918 but 1945

Yes, there's a lot to be said for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

We will not forget Empty
PostSubject: Re: We will not forget   We will not forget Empty

Back to top Go down

We will not forget
Page 1 of 1