Go down 
+2
zyph
away day travel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
away day travel

Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? Empty
PostSubject: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I am compiling a new fans guide for the coming season and am after real fans views of which are the best pubs on match days for both home fans & visiting supporters.

Which are the "main pubs" for home fans around the ground..?

Can you let me know the best 5 or so around the ground please and any local establishments that particularly cater for and welcome visiting supporters - pubs, restaurants, parking facilities attractions etc.

Also, any suggestions of pubs that you have visited at other away grounds which are good for away supporters on match days would be great.

Many thanks

Rob
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 4:02 pm

away day travel wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am compiling a new fans guide for the coming season and am after real fans views of which are the best pubs on match days for both home fans & visiting supporters.

Can you let me know the best 5 or so around the ground please and any local establishments that particularly cater for and welcome visiting supporters - pubs, restaurants, parking facilities attractions etc.

Also, any suggestions of pubs that you have visited at other away grounds which are good for away supporters on match days would be great.

Many thanks

Rob

PASALB (London Argyle Fans) do a very good away guide for its members....which includes proven Pubs throughout the league Real Ale/Lager/Food etc.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Luton - The Two Brewers. Excellent real ale pub on the outskirts of the town centre.

Exeter - The Imperial. Right by the railway station. It's more like a stately home than a pub. Just stay there because the away end at Exeter must be the worst in the football league. Huge outside area. Wetherspoons.

Cheltenham - Kemble Brewery Inn. Really friendly backstreet boozer. Lots of real ale and cider. Beer garden.

I can't remember the names of any others.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Luton - The Two Brewers. Excellent real ale pub on the outskirts of the town centre.

Exeter - The Imperial. Right by the railway station. It's more like a stately home than a pub. Just stay there because the away end at Exeter must be the worst in the football league. Huge outside area. Wetherspoons.

Cheltenham - Kemble Brewery Inn. Really friendly backstreet boozer. Lots of real ale and cider. Beer garden.

I can't remember the names of any others.

The three pigeons in Halifax was a good one.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 am

away day travel wrote:
Hi Guys,

Many thanks

Rob

If we answer his question, cherry tree or Brit, maybe Mutley plain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

The Duke of Cornwall (I think it was called) in Burton was good. The exiles from the south west really looked after our away fans and sold pasties on their matchday special menu. Good times.

The Barrels in Hereford was a good pub. Nearby was a pub called the victory with the bar designed as a ship.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Always used the Black Lion, Bayswater Rd, right opposite Hyde Park for West London games(QPR, Chelsea, Fulham, not that we get to play them much these days Sad ) A great traditional boozer with good food and a friendly atmosphere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Just googled it out of interest as I've not been there for a few years and sadly it seems it may not be a pub for much longer. Over 300 years of history as a pub in the greatest City in the world(Just imagine the famous and imfamous people that must've supped an ale in there) sold to wealthy investors/speculators for crazy money and destined to be yet more luxury flats.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Hip Flask

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:47 pm

The great northern in Burton is ideal, close to the ground and good beer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello mate, as TGWU says our closest pubs to the ground are The Cherry Tree which is one mile from the A38 turn off and about a mile east of HP, good town boozer but a bit tatty, it's where I usually go. Otherwise The Britannia is a Wetherspoons about Half a mile to the west Home Park which is pretty good on a match day. Otherwise get into the centre and walk half a mile to The Barbican where all the old pubs are The Dolphin being the best, great real ale and PROPER people in there. Taxi from there to HP about a fiver and ten minutes I would guess. Otherwise head to Mutley plain where there are several more good boozers The Fortesque and the newly re opened The Hyde Park being the best of them. Home park is about a twenty minute walk from the Plain or again about a fiver in a taxi.
Taxi no. 01752 222222
Good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

01752 222222 = A minicab driven by a Romanian, As Iggy says "Good luck"

01752 606060 = A Black Cab driven by an Englishman

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Controversial.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm

But with a 90ish% chance of being true, like I said, you pays yer money, you takes yer choice.  tongue 
Back to top Go down
away day travel

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks guys, all very useful!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:33 am

Met 4 Pompey fans in their home pub at our last game - Rose in June, proper boozer with brilliant garden to crash in, obviously we had good weather for it!! Strange one for us last season when we get off the train at North Road is James Street Vaults - although we also stop at The Great Western at St Davids on the way down also as we change trains there!! Of course I don't touch the wicked brew, Hahahahahah!! Off to Cardiff for stag weekender in morning - any real ale pointers gracefully accepted!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?   Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Home & Away Fans Pubs...?
Page 1 of 1