26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
Someone has quoted Barnsley as a town of 80,000.

It's actually 231,200 according to the 2011 census. Plymouth has a population of 256,400 according to the same census. Barnsley is only a town the size of Newton Abbot smaller. God knows where a figure of 80,000 materialised from?

Seems to be roughly the figures differentiating between Barnsley the town and Barnsley the metropolitan area;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Reportedly £200k - 20% Ipswich sell on fee then 50% football creditor debt reduction - £80k in the bank. If we pay a fee for a replacement I'll wear a Woolwich shirt at South West Spurs supporters club meeting.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
Reportedly £200k - 20% Ipswich sell on fee then 50% football creditor debt reduction - £80k in the bank. If we pay a fee for a replacement I'll wear a Woolwich shirt at South West Spurs supporters club meeting.

Straight into that pension fund.

Geddon.

Look how far weve came
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm

spowell92 wrote:
He won't leave.

The feck do I know then. Gotta say this one surprised me and really has disappointed me. Thought he was an Argyle legend in the making. Hopefully there's enough money in the kitty to find a suitable replacement.

Damon, any idea what order the money gets split? Do Ipswich get 20% of 50% or 20% of 100% and we pay 50% of 80% to F.C?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Ipswich'll have first dibs, for sure.

£200k amazes me. It really does.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Yes SFD, we pay 50% of the net receipts to the football creditors.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 am

Damon.Lenszner wrote:

We don't need to spend it like that. I can't think of a single player worth having who will be available for £80k. Look at our reaction when the first and second bids were in that region - it was laughable. Treble it and chuck in some add ons, and the board might meet to discuss it.

The £80k should go into a temporarily expanded wage budget for the next season. Blow it all on the wages of a good player on a 1 year contract on £1500 a week - so we can see the benefit in the here and now. This promotion push is vital.  That player should be Luke Summerfield by the way cheers
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 am

Good move for CH, and though the board had no option, Argyle win in this too. Better to cash in now
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 9:25 am

ejh wrote:
Damon.Lenszner wrote:

We don't need to spend it like that. I can't think of a single player worth having who will be available for £80k. Look at our reaction when the first and second bids were in that region - it was laughable. Treble it and chuck in some add ons, and the board might meet to discuss it.

The £80k should go into a temporarily expanded wage budget for the next season. Blow it all on the wages of a good player on a 1 year contract on £1500 a week - so we can see the benefit in the here and now. This promotion push is vital.  That player should be Luke Summerfield by the way cheers

Exactly what I was trying to say in my 2nd bottle of red state last night ejh. £200k fee is only £80k in the bank - not enough to pay a fee.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 9:46 am

Didn't Hartley go to Stevenage for about 80k? It is enough for a fee in the basement leagues. The freed wages are also available for whoever may come in on top. I'm not sure a fee will be necessary though. Plenty of players on soon to expire or expired contracts are already available. I think we'll be needing to bring in two midfielders to cover for Conor in case one doesn't quite hit it off, that's if we're aiming for promotion IMO - plus we lost a midfielder in Gurrieri who also needs to be replaced.

Agree with EJH that Summerfield would be decent, though I'd expect another midfielder on top of that. Conor Clifford is another name floating around. If we could get those two in, or similar, then I'd be happier about this.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 am

There are rumours that Clifford might be in talks with Argyle.......the problem is that he seems to of lost his way since we had him last.....doesn't get regular first team football anymore.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 am

That's why I'd expect another player in Zyph. Clifford is still only 22 and is obviously a decent enough player. If there's a lower league manager to get a midfielder like Clifford performing again then it's Sheridan. So I'd be keen on him coming in. But Conor Hourihane was Mr Reliable, having played a great deal of games already, so like you say he's a gamble in respects of 50apps in the season.

How about that Sam Clucas, the young Mansfield midfielder. He bossed it in the two games I saw him play v Argyle and heard some great things of him over the season. Believe he came 2nd or 3rd for L2 PoTY?
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 am

It's the way that he has gone that is frustrating. Shez said last season that he was building a squad around Hourihane, bit of a pisser to say the least when that man, whoever he is, leaves. As for Argyle I don't think they have much choice but to let him go, make him stay and we have a player who doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to make that tackle in case it fooks up that big wages move next season. Like I say a pisser but another chance to get some quality in. I am gob smacked about the fee to say the least, the days of big fees or many fees being paid in this league are a thing of the past it would seem.
It would also seem that Hourihane didn't buy into the promotion next season dream or he would surely still be here?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 am

Iggy wrote:
It's the way that he has gone that is frustrating. Shez said last season that he was building a squad around Hourihane, bit of a pisser to say the least when that man, whoever he is, leaves. As for Argyle I don't think they have much choice but to let him go, make him stay and we have a player who doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to make that tackle in case it fooks up that big wages move next season. Like I say a pisser but another chance to get some quality in. I am gob smacked about the fee to say the least, the days of big fees or many fees being paid in this league are a thing of the past it would seem.
It would also seem that Hourihane didn't buy into the promotion next season dream or he would surely still be here?

It is a gutter tbh, but the lad wanted away, so be it.

Now argyle have got to look for a replacement asap and show us [the fans] that they do mean business when they say promotion is the goal for 2014-15.

I would welcome back CC and as someone stated, JS may get the best out of him..
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 am

The galling thing for me about Hourihane going is that, at the age of 23, his best 5 years lie ahead of him. His performances for us have improved immeasurably since he arrived... Who knows how important to us he could have been as a 28 year old?

This is what inspires me about Conor Clifford. He was young, keen and raw when he was here before but he had undeniable talent. He's a bit older now and been around a bit and it hasn't quite worked out for him. His next contract could be last chance to make it as a pro.

But at 22 years of age his best years should be in front of him. Go get him, Sheridan, and sort his head out and we've got a more talented player in to replace Hourihane.

We like him, he likes us (I assume). Get it done!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am

spowell92 wrote:
Didn't Hartley go to Stevenage for about 80k? It is enough for a fee in the basement leagues. The freed wages are also available for whoever may come in on top. I'm not sure a fee will be necessary though. Plenty of players on soon to expire or expired contracts are already available. I think we'll be needing to bring in two midfielders to cover for Conor in case one doesn't quite hit it off, that's if we're aiming for promotion IMO - plus we lost a midfielder in Gurrieri who also needs to be replaced.

Agree with EJH that Summerfield would be decent, though I'd expect another midfielder on top of that. Conor Clifford is another name floating around. If we could get those two in, or similar, then I'd be happier about this.

And that £80k went down the pan - Hartley came in for one season, presumably on decent wages too, circumstances changed and 12 months later and he was gone for nothing.

So let's not make that mistake.

Reading the Shrewsbury forums last night, they rate Summerfield highly after last season, and are only resigned to losing him because they feel he is too good to consider League Two.

I just hope his hometown club make an enquiry to check if he is willing to make exceptions, if the money is right.

Summerfield was a very capable player in League One for us with his technique and passing, and when I saw Argyle away at Cheltenham he was exceptional against us - a great exhibition of playmaking, dangerous from long range and actually got stuck into the tackles. A better all round player than Hourihane in fact.

If we have the ambition he's our man - he's out of contract and we need to go and get him back.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The galling thing for me about Hourihane going is that, at the age of 23, his best 5 years lie ahead of him. His performances for us have improved immeasurably since he arrived... Who knows how important to us he could have been as a 28 year old?

This is what inspires me about Conor Clifford. He was young, keen and raw when he was here before but he had undeniable talent. He's a bit older now and been around a bit and it hasn't quite worked out for him. His next contract could be last chance to make it as a pro.

But at 22 years of age his best years should be in front of him. Go get him, Sheridan, and sort his head out and we've got a more talented player in to replace Hourihane.

We like him, he likes us (I assume). Get it done!

For many of these reasons I'd go for Clucas. 23, similar midfielder to Conor, ever present in Mansfield's team last season and has played pretty regular the last 2/3 seasons. 8 goals last term too. Surely we're a bigger club than Mansfield and could do to them what Barnsley have done to us. The only difference between he and Clifford or Summer is that he'd come with a price.

In an ideal world I'd like Clucas and Summers. Failing that Clifford and Summers. I really don't think 1 midfielder will be enough. Maybe we could swap Blizzard for someone?!  Wink 
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Summers don't really get my blood racing, never has either, although I remember him in a higher league.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 1:18 pm

[quote="spowell92"]
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Maybe we could swap Blizzard for someone?!  Wink 

I don't even think Bristol Rovers would have him back in the Conference.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:02 pm

ejh wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

And that £80k went down the pan - Hartley came in for one season, presumably on decent wages too, circumstances changed and 12 months later and he was gone for nothing.

So let's not make that mistake.

Reading the Shrewsbury forums last night, they rate Summerfield highly after last season, and are only resigned to losing him because they feel he is too good to consider League Two.

I just hope his hometown club make an enquiry to check if he is willing to make exceptions, if the money is right.

Summerfield was a very capable player in League One for us with his technique and passing, and when I saw Argyle away at Cheltenham he was exceptional against us - a great exhibition of playmaking, dangerous from long range and actually got stuck into the tackles. A better all round player than Hourihane in fact.

If we have the ambition he's our man - he's out of contract and we need to go and get him back.

For the love of god please no.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I can't see Summers coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if he joined his Dad at Burton- I think he would be a good signing for us though.

Not sure about Clifford- he was superb when we had him on loan, but since then I don't think he has performed- Yeovil fans didn't rate him, not sure how he did at Southend? Also think he would be similar to Cox- maybe this would allow more attacking wing play (if we have two DM's) which we did lack last season?
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Why would Summerfield want to come back here when all he got was abuse!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Hourihane has gone to a club with proper aspirations of returning to the Championship.

Replacing him with Summerfield, a player surplus to requirements at a club having just been relegated to League 2 is a bit of a red flag, for me.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Summers wasn't 'surplus to requirements', his contract ended and Shrewsbury have to adjust to a League 2 budget from League One finances. Just as Stevenage had to when they let Hartley go.

It is similar to when Argyle and Bhasera parted. Class player, but we couldn't pay him what he was worth. We made him an offer justso he knew he was wanted, but it was so low as to be futile. His agent didn't even bother replying.

Summerfield has played hundreds of times since we last saw him. He has got better and is battle hardened.

If we're talking rejects btw, what is Clifford's status having heen given away by Chelsea and Southend in the last 12 months? Not exactly red hot form I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Yea Man wrote:
Why would Summerfield want to come back here when all he got was abuse!

It wasn't abuse, just affectionate booing!

Summerfield used to be a teenage kid in a Championship full of quality.

He's now a senior pro in the prime of his career, and at Argyle would be 1 - 2 divisions below when he last played for us. So a much improved player against much lesser quality opposition.

Last edited by ejh on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hourihane - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hourihane   Hourihane - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hourihane
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next