+2
Sir Francis Drake
Czarcasm
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Classic World Cup TV theme tunes Empty
PostSubject: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 11, 2014 8:21 am

The most important aspect of any WC??  The theme tune - obviously.

For me, Argentina '78 is the all-time classic, though Spain '82 runs it very close...

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 11, 2014 8:34 am

Feck me, '86 thru '94 were true wilderness years (unless you're a fan of fat Italians). ITV's USA'94 effort sounds like feckin' Cliff Richard. They redeem themselves for France '98 though with a bit of Jean Michel Jarre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 11, 2014 10:29 am

NO competition!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptyMon May 12, 2014 9:36 am

I was 24 for Italy in 1990 and gainfully employed in what was basically just a crappy job. At the time I had no commitments and very little in terms of meaningful responsibility.

If I had my time over again one of the very few things that I'd change would be the fact that I did not go. I could easily have put some money aside to bankroll the escapade, loaded a few togs in a backpack, taken my chances from there and gone. I wish I had.

It might have been a duff tournament with negative football and few goals but from an England fan's perspective it pretty much had it all except for the very end result.

I suppose much the same could be said for 1986 but I had no job, a ticket for Glastonbury (I didn't ever see the Hand Of God game and only caught the last few minutes on a radio - how did Lineker not score at the end?) and it would have been far more expensive and difficult to achieve.

Italia '90 would have been like falling off a log in comparison.

My advice to young people today is to take your chances and make the most of a lack of responsibility, whether that means growing a Mohican and then dyeing it blue or being completely irresponsible and jacking everything in and hitting a World Cup somewhere, while you can because once the chance has gone it's gone a long, long time.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySat May 24, 2014 10:04 pm

too late for me im afraid
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 1:53 pm

There was the 52 cup in Sweden on BBC2 earlier. People who think the game was better then are mad. The pace of those games was so pedestrian. The goalkeepers were terrible. The Russian keeper was wearing a flat cap. One game they showed had just 4000 people in the ground.
Seeing Bobby Robson as a young man was lovely though. Born in the 70s, I've always thought of him as a kindly old gentleman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 2:09 pm

great programme that.
i thought the bit with the lad hitchhiking and getting picked up by some posh guy in a big car was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Can you imagine Ronaldo being time travelled back to 52 with Bale, Messi and Maradonna. They'd single handedly win everything. I think even the current England womens team would do well against 50s players.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Bobby Robson truly was a gentleman. I saw him a few times at matches and he was always fantastic with the fans even if they weren't his team's fans.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 4:16 pm

hairy j wrote:
Can you imagine Ronaldo being time travelled back to 52 with Bale, Messi and Maradonna. They'd single handedly win everything. I think even the current England womens team would do well against 50s players.

Nah, they would have their cruciate anterior ligaments wrapped around their tonsils in the first couple of tackles and wouldn't feature again. Better or worse it wasa lot different foreshore.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes EmptySun May 25, 2014 5:09 pm

hairy j wrote:

Blatant sexism. Uncalled for and unexpected from a manperson with such impeccable social awareness  rabbit 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic World Cup TV theme tunes   Classic World Cup TV theme tunes Empty

Back to top Go down

Classic World Cup TV theme tunes
Page 1 of 1