Tgwu
Czarcasm
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LondonGreen

LondonGreen

Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 pm

The rail situation at Dawlish is the image that seems to be capturing the most national attention. Be interesting to see how long Network Rail take to fix that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 pm

LondonGreen wrote:
The rail situation at Dawlish is the image that seems to be capturing the most national attention. Be interesting to see how long Network Rail take to fix that

i would say pretty quick once the weather settles as thats one of the main lines to london. If it was just going to Exeter than we are talking months Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:46 pm

6 weeks apparently !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:10 pm

I was working in Kingsand as it happens. Love a good storm, me.
Here is my youtube of the Institute ( part of the clocktower ) getting battered.

You can see how the foundations have disappeared. Talk of the cafe this morning as to how much it will cost to repair. Looks a bit dodgy to me.
Met a friend who lives in the village. Apparently one poor guy, who refused to be evacuated last night, got it in the head when the sea came through his window.
The swell outside the Breakwater was huge. I haven't seen it that big in the Channel often. The sea was boiling mad. More like what you get down where the Ocean starts for REAL far further West in Penwith Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 pm

A lovely place - Cawsand/Kingsand with a pleasingly healthy number of good watering holes. The only down-side is the number of second homes.

The gallery near to the clock-tower sold post-cards of a previous storm that over-topped it. I suspect they will have new material now. I really hope that tower is saved!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

I've always had my reservations abait the Wet Wok.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 pm

A favourite walk of mine from Cremyll/Edgecumbe, up over the top of the estate. Back along the coast path after some refreshment. The Rising Sun is my favourite. And the Kingsands village hall has been known to give the Calstock hall a run for their money with their gigs.

No one could get near the Devonport pub as the whole Kingsands beach was closed off by the coastguards. Probably a good idea I should imagine... rather too dangerous.  It might take a little while to open the pub again, unless they were very lucky and thorough in their preparation. I recorded that a good hour and a half after high tide. Must be flooded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Winter Green wrote:
A favourite walk of mine from Cremyll/Edgecumbe, up over the top of the estate. Back along the coast path after some refreshment. The Rising Sun is my favourite. And the Kingsands village hall has been known to give the Calstock hall a run for their money with their gigs.

No one could get near the Devonport pub as the whole Kingsands beach was closed off by the coastguards. Probably a good idea I should imagine... rather too dangerous.  It might take a little while to open the pub again, unless they were very lucky and thorough in their preparation. I recorded that a good hour and a half after high tide. Must be flooded.

I used to have an apartment at Fort Picklecombe halfway. I loved the stormy nights. Very keen to get one again...... anyone that has been close will know how wonderful that is.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 pm

It was taking a battering today Nikkkkkkk, big time. They also had a huge landslide very close by just a few years back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Winter Green wrote:
It was taking a battering today Nikkkkkkk, big time. They also had a huge landslide very close by just a few years back.

I'm sure. It was amazing to be on my balcony and watch storms. I miss that place badly. Hope not too long before I get a place back there. Wonderful memories as I'm sure a couple of viewers/ posters remember. Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 pm

My favourite walk around there is the one from the Coastguards at Rame Head along the coast to Cawsand.

The Cross Keys isn't bad, the Half-way House isn't bad but for quality of food & drink & a good welcome the Rising Sun is by far the best. That's the one I usually head for.

I was there a number of times last year. On a couple of occasions I went with a good friend who I was helping with some family history. Almost certainly her grandfather & great-grandfather were smugglers there. We went to the Rising Sun & she began to look at the photos on the wall. An old boy at the bar chatted with her & when she said her name his response was, "Ah.... he used to own half the village!" This conversation was repeated twice more in separate situations. Trouble was her dad & his second wife spent all the money.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 pm

knecht wrote:
My favourite walk around there is the one from the Coastguards at Rame Head along the coast to Cawsand.

The Cross Keys isn't bad, the Half-way House isn't bad but for quality of food & drink & a good welcome the Rising Sun is by far the best. That's the one I usually head for.

I was there a number of times last year. On a couple of occasions I went with a good friend who I was helping with some family history. Almost certainly her grandfather & great-grandfather were smugglers there. We went to the Rising Sun & she began to look at the photos on the wall. An old boy at the bar chatted with her & when she said her name his response was, "Ah.... he used to own half the village!" This conversation was repeated twice more in separate situations. Trouble was her dad & his second wife spent all the money.

Wonderful times in so many places. Just loved the winter when so many characters were free to talk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm

nikkk wrote:

Wonderful times in so many places. Just loved the winter when so many characters were free to talk.

I managed to be there for the May Day celebrations. That was pretty good. I even enjoyed the Morris dancing outside the Rising Sun ....... for a while.

I had never really noticed the church in Cawsand but we went in and it's a strange, interesting place.

And as for Kingsand Village Hall challenging Calstock .....  lol! 

http://calstockarts.org/whats-on/
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks for reminding me gents. I used to love walking from Cremyll to Kingsand. The missus and I must do that soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
Thanks for reminding me gents. I used to love walking from Cremyll to Kingsand. The missus and I must do that soon.

Lovely area Rich. Miss it. Sad 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 pm

My parents nearly bought the Cross Keys in the early eighties when it was known as the Smugglers, they bought a different pub and I was gutted I love it there, we have been down for New years eve a couple of times and that's a great night out, fancy dress and a good craic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 pm

So, who remembers who ran the Kingsand Halfway House in the early 1980s ?
Previous of the disappeared Valetort, and then to take charge of the Wellington.

Here's a clue....Napoleon was the full shilling.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 am

Winter Green wrote:

I did that walk many times as a kid. Fantastic views of the breakwater and Sound. I used to get excited if we saw the Roscoff ferry leaving. For some strange reason the Folly at the top of the Moun Edgecombe estate was another highlight.

My brother and I also enjoyed the pedallos on Cawsand beach, until we saw loads of floating turds in the sea from the sewerage pipe. The boat ride from Cawsand to the Barbicn was good also and was a lot more choppy thn the Cremyll ferry.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:32 am

knecht wrote:

The mention of family history reminded me of the link below, discovered by my daughter for her grandmother, my mother, a Looe girl.

My great grandfather Richard Pengelly[ Dick Clubs] and his father also Richard [Old Daddy] are in the last photograph. Another family member has traced this side of my family back to 1605 in and around Looe. In the family tree there is mention of a Bowden . My grandfather played football for Looe with Ray Bowden, who moved onto Argyle, Arsenal and England. My grandfather was offered professional terms with Exeter City but declined. The money was about £5 a week, about twice what he was earning as a welder at Devonport Dockyard.

http://www.cornwall24.net/2013/10/the-woodrow-pengellys-of-looe/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 am

Fascinating stuff, Tring. I shall read it properly later today. Who knows, we may find we're related.  Smile My family came from Falmouth, Menheniot & St Cleer. I've gone back to the mid-1600s. Garlands & Lynes mostly.

I had no interest whatsoever in history at school. Lists of "important" people going to war or becoming monarchs and going to war bored me silly. But in recent years I've read more & more stuff about how all that affected "ordinary" people. That's one reason I got into family history.

My good friend's ancestors appeared on census returns as "shipwrights" but then we realised that they increasingly owned several houses including one of the biggest in Kingsand. A bit of further research showed that shipwrights knew how to build secret compartments into boats and so bring contraband ashore. There was a famous siege of the Rising Sun when Customs Officers were besieged inside by an angry crowd (or was it the other way around.....) That sort of human level history helps bring it all alive.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 am

knecht wrote:
Fascinating stuff, Tring. I shall read it properly later today. Who knows, we may find we're related.  Smile My family came from Falmouth, Menheniot & St Cleer. I've gone back to the mid-1600s. Garlands & Lynes mostly.

I had no interest whatsoever in history at school. Lists of "important" people going to war or becoming monarchs and going to war bored me silly. But in recent years I've read more & more stuff about how all that affected "ordinary" people. That's one reason I got into family history.

My good friend's ancestors appeared on census returns as "shipwrights" but then we realised that they increasingly owned several houses including one of the biggest in Kingsand. A bit of further research showed that shipwrights knew how to build secret compartments into boats and so bring contraband ashore. There was a famous siege of the Rising Sun when Customs Officers were besieged inside by an angry crowd (or was it the other way around.....) That sort of human level history helps bring it all alive.

Indeed it does.I've quite enjoyed Paxman's Great War episodes thus far. Plenty of individual, human stories.

My great grandfather Dick Clubs was a 'huer' in later life. He was the biggest fishing lugger owner in Looe at the turn of the 20th century and had stopped personally going to sea. He was however, often to be found on the cliffs calling out to his boats and pointing to where the shoals of pilchard were. Sadly, he considered buying property like the hotel on Hannafore Point but decided against it, sticking to the boats. Of course, the pilchard then largely disappeared.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 am

I have Cornish and Plymouth fisherman blood in me also market gardners from the Tamar valley, fascinating stuff. My wife is a direct descendant of Black Sam Bellamy a notorious pirate who robbed and pirated off America until he was shipwrecked and died.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 am

Iggy wrote:
I have Cornish and Plymouth fisherman blood in me also market gardners from the Tamar valley, fascinating stuff. My wife is a direct descendant of Black Sam Bellamy a notorious pirate who robbed and pirated off America until he was shipwrecked and died.

Black Sam Bellamy ! pirat 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Bellamy
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Some fantastic footage around, I think it is pretty well established that nature is in fact the Daddy.

Scary stuff in that preview of what might be expected, beautiful sunny day here in Essex.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reservation at the Wet Wok?   Reservation at the Wet Wok? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Reservation at the Wet Wok?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Zoo Corner-
Jump to: