mouldyoldgoat
Mock Cuncher
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Floods in the UK - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

happy soul, me  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
the nene floods regularly down the hill from northampton.  from memory i believe the river is willow lined along that section, but even that doesnt stop it flooding. we should be building in the hills in readiness for the great flood as the ice melts in greenland and the antarctic

I used to do a lot of Willow bank lining for Highways and Environment agency. Used to work a treat for bank erosion and paid well too.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Environment secretary Owen Paterson says something sensible:

"Dredging is often not the best long-term or economic solution and increased dredging of rivers on the Somerset Levels would not have prevented the recent widespread flooding."

Then two days later David Cameron said:

"We now need to move more rapidly to the issues like dredging, which I think will help to make a long-term difference. It is not currently safe to dredge in the Levels. But I can confirm that dredging will start as soon as it is practical, as soon as the waters have started to come down."

FFS Cameron you fookin tit.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Environment secretary Owen Paterson says something sensible:

"Dredging is often not the best long-term or economic solution and increased dredging of rivers on the Somerset Levels would not have prevented the recent widespread flooding."

Then two days later David Cameron said:

"We now need to move more rapidly to the issues like dredging, which I think will help to make a long-term difference. It is not currently safe to dredge in the Levels. But I can confirm that dredging will start as soon as it is practical, as soon as the waters have started to come down."

FFS Cameron you fookin tit.

You don't half talk bollox, Mock. Tits are useful. How you can confuse a tit with Cameron is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:35 pm

I was talking to a couple of Argyle fans on Saturday who live right beside the floods on the Somerset Levels. They have 8 Swans swimming around the bottom of their garden and hundreds of ducks and various other wading birds. They're lucky their garden is 75ft long with a steady rise to their house and not much chance of the water getting that high but opposite the bottom of the garden a 5 bar gate is underwater and all they can see for miles is water.

We mentioned dredging, which they agreed might help but they were telling us how farmers had filled in some of the rynes ( drainage ditches ) to make the fields bigger or make it easier for tractors to get around. Farmers had also cut down hedges in some areas to again make the fields bigger. Stories about the council pruning trees in their street and half the branches ending up in the stream that flows past their house. Their view was half the problem wasn't just the rivers but all the rynes that had been put in for a reason were now filled in, partially blocked or hadn't been cleaned out in years and that wasn't the fault of the Environment Agency but local people themselves.

They also thought Cameron had made himself look a prize prat by saying he was sending the Army in. We had a few laughs at the idea of long lines of thousands of soldiers with buckets trying to get the water to the sea and scratching their heads as they wondered how to get past the M5.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm

valetines day is coming soon so this year rather than wisk your love ones to vencie for the weekend...save the cash and go to somerset where every marine landing craft you tour the ancient county in will have a wurzel serenading you with timeless classics.

yes come to somerset you randy people and keep it local...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:19 am

The Tamar outside my window is the highest I've seen it. The fields are beginning to flood on the other bank in England. Below me the boatyard & jetties are covered. For those of you who know Calstock, the car-park was under water before high tide. Nobody is at risk - not like elsewhere - but it is dramatic.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 am

knecht wrote:
The Tamar outside my window is the highest I've seen it. The fields are beginning to flood on the other bank in England. Below me the boatyard & jetties are covered. For those of you who know Calstock, the car-park was under water before high tide. Nobody is at risk - not like elsewhere - but it is dramatic.

Knecht Calstock had a nice lady visitor yesterday, did you meet her?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 am

Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:

I don't know any nice ladies.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 am

knecht wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:

Babe was there for lunch and a little drinky
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 am

'Twas a 5.8m high this morning. I may grab the camera tomorrow, the high tide in the evening is gonna be accompanied by a full-on southerly blow gusting to 70mph. Love it on the Hoe when it gets like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:

Not so little.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
'Twas a 5.8m high this morning. I may grab the camera tomorrow, the high tide in the evening is gonna be accompanied by a full-on southerly blow gusting to 70mph. Love it on the Hoe when it gets like that.

Bleddy good idea, Czarky. I might get up there myself to test out my new lens.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 pm

knecht wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
knecht wrote:

Not so little.

What have she got that not so little, and is she a lady

Last edited by Tgwu on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm a bit pished off that Tinside Pool was closed because of flooding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 pm

GOB wrote:
I'm a bit pished off that Tinside Pool was closed because of flooding.

A bit cold for a dip, init?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:22 pm

I was thinking more of surfing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

My sisters off to swim in Torbay somewhere, FOOKIN mental going in there without a board! My family are all mental btw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 pm

GOB wrote:
I was thinking more of surfing.

It was going off at Harlyn in that last big storm we had. It's offshore there in a southwesterly and that day it was good double overhead. A guy was getting stand up barrels in the shore break and the left hand side had a nice wedge going, I'm too old and broken for that shit nowadays but it makes me quite wistful watching them.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Largest waves in the world will hit Cornwall on Wednesday

According to the website’s forecast, these will be the largest waves recorded on the face of the Earth at that time with usual big wave spots such as Australia, Hawaii and Fiji falling short.

The Met Office, the Exeter-based national weather forecast company, has issued a wind warning on Wednesday with 80mph gales set to accompany the huge waves.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interesting piece from magic seaweed looking at the run of massive waves we've had this year.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

More Monbiot. More sense.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Floods in the UK   Floods in the UK - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Floods in the UK
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-