Lord Tisdale
downthetrack
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Strange Films. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 am

Guest wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The World According To Garp.

That's a strange one.

I love that film.

I'll add Twelve Monkeys.

Garp is currently being serialised on R4. The first 2 episodes are on iPlayer should anybody want to listen to them.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
bjorn_yesterday

bjorn_yesterday

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm

If it's Lynchian you want it has to be Erazerhead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 pm

bjorn_yesterday wrote:
If it's Lynchian you want it has to be Erazerhead.

That certainly fits the bill.

Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil' is another.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Another vote from me for Eraserhead. That bleddy dripping, and I seem to remember a lift somewhere.

Talking of strange unsettling "entertainment", may I recommend Scotland's Ivor Cuttler and Phyllis King currently being repeated on Radio 4 Extra comedy nights, roughly at 11 to 12pm.
Comedy it ain't, and I'm still not sure what it is. Poetry ? possibly, he was known as a poet, but it's as enigmatic as any French art house rustling reeds, but with that unmistakable Northern climes fateful darkness and mundanity. I'm the only one that finds it a little compelling in my household. Check it out if you like strange. The iplayer will have last night's episode available. Even more weird because he's already long dead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 pm

If we're branching out from films then Ivor Cutler certainly fits the bill. I have a cd of his and it's certainly ........ err ..... strange.

As for comedians, my favourite strange comedian has to be Emo Phillips - an unsung genius.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Emperor of the North with Lee Marvin and some tough guy whose name I cant recall at the moment. Strange but entertaining.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Remembered the other guy Ernest Borgnine, its about hobo's riding trains. Borgnine is a guard and the one who can ride his train is "Emperor of the North", Lee Marvin of course.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 pm

pepsipete wrote:
Emperor of the North with Lee Marvin and some tough guy whose name I cant recall at the moment.  Strange but entertaining.

That, sir, is a BRILLIANT film. I wouldn't call it strange though. Brutal is the word that springs to mind.

Utterly compelling though.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Films.   Strange Films. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange Films.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2