Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league

Go down 
+2
Lord Tisdale
Dane
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dane

Dane

Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  Empty
PostSubject: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:08 pm

heres mine

Seaman ,

Neville
Adams
Ferdinand
cole

Beckham
Gazza
ince
scholes

Shearer
rooney
Back to top Go down

Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Not much different too yours

Seaman

Neville
Campbell
Adams
A Cole

Beckham
Ince
Gerrard
J Cole (no other choice really)

Owen
Shearer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Seaman

Cole
Adams
Des Walker (he did play in the Premier League)
Gary Neville

Steve McManaman
Paul Scholes
Gazza
Hoddle

Shearer
Le Tissier

Are we allowed subs? I didn't pick Rooney, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Lampard, Carrick, Ferdinand.... so many. Gary Linekar FFS
Looking at Wikipedia for most of mine to see if they were pre-Premier League.

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...
Shilton (believe it or not)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:40 pm

hairy j wrote:
Seaman

Cole
Adams
Gary Neville

Steve McManaman
Paul Scholes
Gazza
Hoddle

Shearer
Le Tissier

Are we allowed subs? I didn't pick Rooney, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Lampard, Carrick, Ferdinand.... so many. Gary Linekar FFS

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...
really Le Tissier :s
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm

NO subs !!! !

just starting 11's
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Ah.

Seaman wins it over James, but only without that stupid fecking pony tail.

Toss up between Neville and Dixon, Neville wins.
I would love to see Rio and Des Walker together in their prime.
Pearcy over Cashley just for the balls.

Gazza and Scholes shoe ins with Bryan Robson doing the dirty work and Tony Daley to add some pace.

S&S up front.

Bench
David James
Sol Campbell
Trevor Steven
Gerrard
Rooney
Owen

Mind you we still wouldn't win feck all.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 pm

hairy j wrote:

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...

Erm, isn't that a X, with two keepers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...
Erm, isn't that a X, with two keepers?
Unless he means Sam Shilton
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 6:55 am

Prem started in '92? I think a few suggestions there are deffo pre-92.

Not sure Hoddle was playing when the Prem started, but him Gazza and Scholes playing together would be a passing purists dream trio. You could even add Beckham to make that a quartet that would pass any team in the world to death (apart from maybe the great Brazil sides of Pele's era.)

Had to larf at Tis opting for Captain Marvel. Probably the biggest travesty of a generation was Ron Greenwood overlooking Hoddle dozens of times in favour of adopting a style that suited Bryan Robson. Hoddle got about 50 caps less than he would have got, and deserved, with more expansive forward creative thinking England managers.

Good thread Dane, btw.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 7:11 am

Shilton

Cole

Campbell

Ferdinand

Pearce

Beckham

Hoddle

Scholes

Gascoigne

Owen

Shearer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 7:19 am

Hoddle was player manager at Chelsea and played 31 games in the Premier League. Shilton did sign for a Premier League club but never played - Wimbledon.

An Exeter XI just for Tis

Dean Moxey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 am

Angry wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Seaman

Cole
Adams
Gary Neville

Steve McManaman
Paul Scholes
Gazza
Hoddle

Shearer
Le Tissier

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...
Yep - it's my team. He's an amazing footballer. If Youtube was around when he was at his peak, he'd be regarded far more highly. Your team's fairly recent. Your lack of Glenn Hoddle angers me. Also, nobody has picked Waddle!
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 am

Czarcasm wrote:

Had to larf at Tis opting for Captain Marvel. Probably the biggest travesty of a generation was Ron Greenwood overlooking Hoddle dozens of times in favour of adopting a style that suited Bryan Robson..
Durr, Greenwood was a big fan of Hoddle and picked him regularly following his debut, admittedly he came a little late to the party but I don't recall Greenwood setting England up to suit Robbo, Shirley a box to box midfielder who defends for his life and still scores a hat full of goals fits just about any system, perhaps you could explain exactly why you feel that the leopard credited with founding the West Ham Academy would have changed his spots?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 11:01 am

hairy j wrote:
Angry wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Seaman

Cole
Adams
Gary Neville

Steve McManaman
Paul Scholes
Gazza
Hoddle

Shearer
Le Tissier

Here's an Argyle XI

Button

Marker
Morrison
Edworthy
Hayles
Halmosi
Mackie
Buzacky
Erm...
Yep - it's my team. He's an amazing footballer. If Youtube was around when he was at his peak, he'd be regarded far more highly. Your team's fairly recent. Your lack of Glenn Hoddle angers me. Also, nobody has picked Waddle!
I remember Le Tissier goals well however he only played for England 8 times i wouldn't myself put him in an all time England time from the premier leagues,

Also Hoddle and Waddle (diamond lights) weren't in their prime when the premiership came into play so i wouldnt have picked them.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Had to larf at Tis opting for Captain Marvel. Probably the biggest travesty of a generation was Ron Greenwood overlooking Hoddle dozens of times in favour of adopting a style that suited Bryan Robson..
Durr, Greenwood was a big fan of Hoddle and picked him regularly following his debut, admittedly he came a little late to the party but I don't recall Greenwood setting England up to suit Robbo, Shirley a box to box midfielder who defends for his life and still scores a hat full of goals fits just about any system, perhaps you could explain exactly why you feel that the leopard credited with founding the West Ham Academy would have changed his spots?
Hoddle was nearly 23 before Greenwood gave him his full debut. We're talking about probably the most talented player of his generation.

Hoddle was to the 80's, what Gazza was to the 90's.

He ended up with just 53 caps. Whatever way you look at it ( and tbf, Bobby Robson overlooked him too sometimes) that's a travesty for someone with his talent.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:21 pm

-------Green
Mills King Powell Bridge
Milner Butt Palmer Wilcox
----Ricketts Davies
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 pm

I picked players at their prime who played in the Premier league Angry so nuh nuh nuh! Le Tissier didn't get picked much as he played for Southampton. It's my team anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Lord Tisdale wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Hoddle was nearly 23 before Greenwood gave him his full debut. We're talking about probably the most talented player of his generation.

He ended up with just 53 caps. Whatever way you look at it ( and tbf, Bobby Robson overlooked him too sometimes) that's a travesty for someone with his talent.
Hoddle wasn't a bad England manager either, e certainly deserved longer in the job IMO. if it weren't for the PC brigade that pushed for his sacking we wouldn't have had to stomach Keegan's joke of a reign.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

That's as maybe but your point was that Greenwood set up his teams to suit Robbo and that was in some way had a deleterious effect on Hoddle's career.

Hoddle was regliar in the U21s during an era when players generally progressed to the England side when somewhat older than they do today, much less panic press could be the reason for that I guess. Greenwood took over a clusterfook of a set up from Revie and was unlucky not to still get to Argentina when his team couldn't score more than 2 agin Lux, I remember that as though it was yesterday, he had an excellent winning percentage in an era when there weren't 270 ex Soviet block minnows to scoop up easy wins agin, we qualified for the Euros and WC on his watch and he tried to play good football at all times despite a lack of depth of talent available.

So once again I should be happy to hear an in depth explanation of exactly what it was Greenwood did to set his teams up to 'suit Robbo', or was that just bull shit to deflect attention from your somewhat embarrassing yet quite obvious man love for Hodds with his long hair and v v tight shorts?

Perhaps the biggest problem managers had with Hoddle was that he stooped scoring goals once he got into the England team. [/quote][/quote]
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:51 pm

hairy j wrote:
I picked players at their prime who played in the Premier league Angry so nuh nuh nuh! Le Tissier didn't get picked much as he played for Southampton. It's my team anyway.
I thought that was implied, no point comparing players when some were in their prime and others should have been out to grass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:03 pm

hairy j wrote:
but for england that was the Question plus he was a trick pony of a player and lazy i wouldnt have picked him myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

That's why I loved Le Tissier. He was the anti-thesis of the "English player". I remember reading that Linekar got a bollocking from the Barcelona manager when he signed for them because he tracked back - he was told, you are a striker, score goals - Linekar didn't understand it.
English fans/supporters seem to put an emphasis on 'effort' and talent comes next. I'd happily watch a lazy Le Tissier every single day over a player like Reuben Reid who "runs his socks off". Le Tissier didn't have to run around all day to be good at what he did - and that was pass and score like no other player of his generation. The fact he stayed at Southampton also angered a lot of people; he could have earnt double/triple at the time but he stayed loyal to Southampton. I loved him, he was stupidly talented.
The current England youth players all seem to be super-fit clones and none of them have a personality and none of them are outlandishly talented.
Le Tissier! Whadda player.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Azzer

what a man you are
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

hairy j wrote:
That's why I loved Le Tissier. He was the anti-thesis of the "English player". I remember reading that Linekar got a bollocking from the Barcelona manager when he signed for them because he tracked back - he was told, you are a striker, score goals - Linekar didn't understand it.
English fans/supporters seem to put an emphasis on 'effort' and talent comes next. I'd happily watch a lazy Le Tissier every single day over a player like Reuben Reid who "runs his socks off". Le Tissier didn't have to run around all day to be good at what he did - and that was pass and score like no other player of his generation. The fact he stayed at Southampton also angered a lot of people; he could have earnt double/triple at the time but he stayed loyal to Southampton. I loved him, he was stupidly talented.
The current England youth players all seem to be super-fit clones and none of them have a personality and none of them are outlandishly talented.
Le Tissier! Whadda player.
When you consider that he was twice the player that Chris Waddle was and that Waddle got 62 caps for England, it's amazing that Le Tissier didn't get more of a chance for England.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Waddle did work in a sausage factory though. There were lots of players who got more caps than Le Tissier. Carlton Palmer, Andy Sinton, Steve Stone, Les Ferdinand, Nick Barmby.... arghhhhhhhhh life is rubbish sometimes.

Here's Taylor, Venables and Hoddle's teams
http://www.myfootballfacts.com/England1990-1999Taylor-Hoddle.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league    Healthy debate  - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league  Empty

Back to top Go down

Healthy debate - Best england starting 11 since the start of the premier league
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next