argyl3
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
argyl3

argyl3

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Gawd they are talking about us doing a Wimbledon and moving up Brum way Franchise style doon on the farm..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Complete bollocks thread on pasoti! I started to read the OP then realised its just crap.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Cant believe someone has actually spent the time to sit and write that crap
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:14 pm

trolling so bad even dane would sigh in disbelief
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Angry wrote:
trolling so bad even dane would sigh in disbelief
Exactly, its a poor attempt.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 pm

If they wanted to troll with something like this I would post a long the lines of......

talking to someone I know connected with the club there is a lot of talk high up about Argyle doing a Wimbledon and ........ Very Happy 

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 pm

it wouldn't work, its too far fetched. What you need to do is say something like,

Ian Newell dresses as a woman on Friday nights ...........oh wait.........
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm

You can't stop there Dane, tell us more! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 am

It may be mad but I had a similar thought when we were looking at reserve team fotball and the combination league (or whatever it's called these days) wouldn't include Argyle because of the travelling.

The obvious thing to me was to play all our reserve home games in say Bristol. We've always sadly lacked gajmes for our reserves save when we joined the Penisula League and the players had great lumps kicking great lumps out of them.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 am

a reasonable idea it has to be said. wont happen mind.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am

Gary Penrice,as chief scout, was based in Bristol when Holloway was manager down here and that didn't seem to affect his performance in an adverse way.Very interesting idea actually and worth exploring.One downside that comes to mind would be players having to travel home after home games but a night on the piss in Plymouth could be one possible solution.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am

If the problem is simply a distance thing than maybe it should be explored, but I don't think it is. The two Bristol clubs are pretty much two hours from everywhere but it's never done either of them much good.

I see the distance thing as an excuse for failure rather than a genuine reason.
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 am

Barnsley have struggled in the Championship for years and they've got league rivals Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan, Doncaster, Bolton, Derby and Forest within short driving distances. It matters who plays for your team. Newcastle and Southampton are geographically isolated (Norwich too) but they do ok. It won't happen.

Plymouth can be an attractive place to live if you have a young family and Holloway didn't have a problem signing Ebanks Blake from Manchester and Hayles from London and some Hungarian players came here along with Siep. Even before that, we had Freeeee-oh and Larry-oh.

It's the shit league we're in.
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am

hairy j wrote:
Barnsley have struggled in the Championship for years and they've got league rivals Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan, Doncaster, Bolton, Derby and Forest within short driving distances. It matters who plays for your team. Newcastle and Southampton are geographically isolated (Norwich too) but they do ok. It won't happen.

Plymouth can be an attractive place to live if you have a young family and Holloway didn't have a problem signing Ebanks Blake from Manchester and Hayles from London and some Hungarian players came here along with Siep. Even before that, we had Freeeee-oh and Larry-oh.

We managed to sign some quality players during the league two championship days under Sturrock part 1.

I think it's the shit wages we pay. Laughing 
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 am

Yea Man wrote:
hairy j wrote:

We managed to sign some quality players during the league two championship days under Sturrock part 1.

That's the biggest factor but there is also the ambition and feel good factor. With the current regime along with its deceitful and bullying culture I think it will be quite a while before the word spreads around the FL that Plymouth Argyle is an ambitious and happy Club.
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 am

Yea Man wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Crap wages and lack of ambition are the main factors why its harder to attract good players here.

Lets not forget that players wanted to win trophies in their careers and will go play on the moon if their was a club on there that was ambitious, paid them well and wanted to succeed.

Players are a little fussy about playing for a club that would rather promote nandos and hotels rather than football.
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:22 am

How about, every new player gets a free mug and a car sticker? 

Come on Ian, force those players to have a car sticker, make them have one.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

Plymouth most certainly can be an attractive place to live. If it would entice players down I don't know why the club (and we now have a owner very interested in property) don't buy a few apartments on the Barbican, Royal William Yard etc for players to lodge in. Maybe they do something similar anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

GOB wrote:
How about, every new player gets a free mug and a car sticker? 

Come on Ian, force those players to have a car sticker, make them have one.
Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 am

If only he had the power eh! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Owning an apartment in RWY would mean the club had an asset that would have been stripped by now.

There are two obvious answers to the recruitment problem: recruit locally and recruit from abroad. In each case the reluctance of players to move within England is eradicated at a stroke.

Local recruitment would entail a long term commitment to a Youth scheme but I don't see why it shouldn't work because our local kids are just as keen on football as anybody else's. Foreigners won't care that Plymouth is where it is; they just want to play in England.

If you count "foreign" as Scottish and Irish isn't that what we, and most other English clubs to be truthful, have always done in the past and isn't it exactly the strategy that worked so well for Sturrock?

Just imagine a team comprising mainly of local talent (e.g. Wotton, Evans, Adams, Beswetherick), topped up with a few foreigners (e.g. Friio, Larrieu, Coughlan, Worrell, Keith) with a few Englishmen who actually want to be here (e.g. Hodges, Phillips, Stonebridge)... It's a crazy plan but it just could work!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Dougie

Dougie

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 12:39 pm

What if a fans trust bought a property and used it for the benefit of the club in an arms length relationship? Surely that could work without any problem?
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Ah but it's all about to change because when the dressing rooms are built they will attract a better class of player who wouldn't normally consider us because we don't have power showers and heated towel rails.
Back to top Go down

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Owning an apartment in RWY would mean the club had an asset that would have been stripped by now.

There are two obvious answers to the recruitment problem: recruit locally and recruit from abroad. In each case the reluctance of players to move within England is eradicated at a stroke.

Local recruitment would entail a long term commitment to a Youth scheme but I don't see why it shouldn't work because our local kids are just as keen on football as anybody else's. Foreigners won't care that Plymouth is where it is; they just want to play in England.

If you count "foreign" as Scottish and Irish isn't that what we, and most other English clubs to be truthful, have always done in the past and isn't it exactly the strategy that worked so well for Sturrock?

Just imagine a team comprising mainly of local talent (e.g. Wotton, Evans, Adams, Beswetherick), topped up with a few foreigners (e.g. Friio, Larrieu, Coughlan, Worrell, Keith) with a few Englishmen who actually want to be here (e.g. Hodges, Phillips, Stonebridge)... It's a crazy plan but it just could work!
Sine when has Liverpool been local baba?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Bessie was born in Liverpool, but he played for Plymouth schools, I'm pretty sure of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Franchise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franchise   Franchise Empty

Back to top Go down

Franchise
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: