Lord Tisdale
Tringreen
Czarcasm
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Two weeks solid sunshine Empty
PostSubject: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 7:58 am

Can any of you old(er) fuckers remember a time when Plymouth has had wall-to-wall sunshine for this amount of time? I was only a nipper in '76 so can't really remember the heatwave, but I can't recall ever having virtual total blue skies for this amount of time during my adult life. We get spells of a few days here and there, maybe a week. But 14 days solid sun with more to come is nuts.

sunny 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 am

It's too much FFS. Bring back scraping off the windscreen in the mornings.What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 am

I'm spending a few days in Plymouth/ Cornwall in August. That should bring on the storm clouds8) 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:11 am

Tringreen wrote:
I'm spending a few days in Plymouth/ Cornwall in August. That should bring on the storm clouds8) 

Storm clouds seem to follow you around, Tringers! albino 
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:18 am

Person Of Interest wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Storm clouds seem to follow you around, Tringers! albino 

Indeed. Thought I might get in touch with Sad Act and go for a stroll around Freathy. Best to avoid the cliffs though.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 am

76 had more impact because far fewer of us had spent much time abroad, next to no cars had AC and it went on for a month.

I had the good fortune in that May to move from the scabbiest old wreck of an office building in Hammersmith to the air condition HQ of FMC in leafy Essex, that made work a lot more pleasant but did turn the 100 yard stroll for a lunch time beer into a bit of a sweat fest.

I am shore we shall have all the "climate change" arse wipes reappearing from under their rocks if it keeps up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Im sure that '76 went on for longer than a month, more like 3 months, but it could be my glass half full approach to life?
I was living in North Devon at the time, I remember the standpipes going up in our road and within three days it was pissing down, and I mean monsoon like rain, my old man and a couple of neighbours got some tools and turned the whole street back on, total anarchy.
Talking of anarchy the riots in Brixton started in a long hot summer.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 pm

three hot nights in succession in Belfast...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
three hot nights in succession in Belfast...

That'l be the all them petrol bombs.clown 
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I think 1995 might have been similar to this year, not as hot or long as '76, not that I can remember it though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I remember 76. Endless days trying to keeping cool at Mount Wise pool and Ernesettle Creek.. I remember when the rains came as well. Everyone around our street (Rochford Cesent, Ernesettle) were literally out in the streets dancing in it!! Bizarre!!
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:13 pm

can remember 2 previous long hot summers 1947 and 1976, even when young I got fed up with it. The 1947 winter was brilliant 5 foot snow drifts and all the schools closed.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 pm

06 was pretty hot which finished off with a massive thunder storm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 pm

I was in the Sahara desert in 1976 listening to the Beeb on a short wave radio when I could get a signal. I used to laugh at the idea that temperatures of 30C were unbearable as I 'relaxed' in the 40C heat.

I laughed even more when the government created a Minister for Drought, Dennis Howell, and it immediately caused floods. Where I lived they had a particularly wet year because they had two days of rain!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:43 pm

we did used to get a few weeks of decent weather in the 90's mid june - mid july but the last few years have been dismal.
2011 was incredibly dry where as 2012 was sodden.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Dane. wrote:

I remember driving across the A38 (Plymouth bound) just before Deep Lane with lightning less than a mile away on the moors, shitting myself. 2006 was the last decent summer we had.

Level 3 Weather warning for the SW for this weekend has been announced today cherry 
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Elias wrote:
we did used to get a few weeks of decent weather in the 90's mid june - mid july but the last few years have been dismal.
2011 was incredibly dry where as 2012 was sodden.

Therein lies the problem, the 'really clever feckers' can't tell the difference between weather and climate.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I remember 1976 ... Me and my friend were going to volunteer to take water from the stand pipes to old people, as a way of getting some time off school. Naturally, it then started to rain and the heatwave was pretty much over by the time the summer holidays started.

Last night I tried some of the BBC advice on getting a good night's sleep in the heat. It involved a certain amount of cold water and felt a bit weird at first, but it was the best sleep I've had in about two weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Dane. wrote:

I remember driving across the A38 (Plymouth bound) just before Deep Lane with lightning less than  a mile away on the moors, shitting myself. 2006 was the last decent summer we had.

Level 3 Weather warning for the SW for this weekend has been announced today cherry 

Thats the summer gone then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Just watched the forcast for next week. A slight lull over the weekend and then 35+ FFS.affraid 

We're all going to die.What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Long way to go to catch up 1976;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Feck me, it was hot in that summer,dear old Tony Greig couldn't make the West Indies grovel though.Wonder how long it'll take for the water people to start whinging this time? 1975 was pretty good as well as i recall.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Long way to go to catch up 1976;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Feck me, it was hot in that summer,dear old Tony Greig couldn't make the West Indies grovel though.Wonder how long it'll take for the water people to start whinging this time? 1975 was pretty good as well as i recall.

I was just discussing the same with wifey, re water. I give it another week for the start of talk about water shortages.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:38 pm

'76 was also the infamous year when the Argyle board reveal their true ambitions for the club, which had attained the 5th highest gate in the second division the previous season, by selling the best player in the club's history to a market town club in East Anglia.

DANIEL OUT! SKINNARD OUT! BOARD OUT!Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 am

Greenskin wrote:
'76 was also the infamous year when the Argyle board reveal their true ambitions for the club, which had attained the 5th highest gate in the second division the previous season, by selling the best player in the club's history to a market town club in East Anglia.

DANIEL OUT! SKINNARD OUT! BOARD OUT!Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Top flight club with Bobby Robson as manager.

Had we offered Mariner a king's ransom to stay for a season and invested further in the team, we could well now be looking at a very different club, ground and status.Attendances at HP for a genuine promotion push could have been huge.
What's the worst that could have happened ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks solid sunshine   Two weeks solid sunshine Empty

Back to top Go down

Two weeks solid sunshine
Page 1 of 1