+4
Freathy
Chemical Ali
Sandford_Grecian
Tringreen
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:45 am

Gary Johnson anybody?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am

Cobi Budge wrote:
Gary Johnson anybody?

Assuming he is allowed to bring in a few players, he must be a better bet than a complete novice like Fletch. The clock is ticking towards the BSP ffs !
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am

One of the jokers in the pack? lol!

If he's still unemployed in the summer, would be a good bet to get you out of the BSPL within 6 years, given the time of course lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:28 pm

I have always seen him and Argyle as a perfect fit, he likes the area and is a very well connected lower league manager.

Sacking season is upon us and I cant see Johnson being out of work for very long a 42% win ratio says it all.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Similar Manager to Sturrock (but adapted to the Championship better [Lansdown's millions probably helped]). I've always thought he was a good manager and he knows the conference (if we go there). Get him in as Director of Football (stuff Ridsdale).
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

At least he is a manager. Fletch is waaaaaaaaay out of his depth.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm

fletch has JUST been given the role, why on earth would the riddler bring in a new manager at this point? non starter this is
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
X Isle

X Isle

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:02 pm

However you view the appointment, Fletch will be in post until at least Christmas. Ridsdale would have to admit he got it wrong otherwise and you've got more chance of platting snot than getting him to admit to a failing.

Personally I reckon a couple or four good stout men in that team and we'll get enough results to become bouyant again.

Johnson would be a good lower league manager, but the position will not become vacant in the next 6-7 weeks at least. And I say more power to Fletch and Ro's elbown in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I am 100% confident we will still be bottom of the league after the Christmas period under Fletch and this current bunch of 'players'. Reid clearly had to go but the untried Fletch's appointment was an extremely cheap option as obviously he was already employed. Gary Johnson is just what we need but as others have probably quite rightly said, unfortunately we're stuck with Fletch.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 pm

I would jump at the chance of Gary Johnson coming here. I was very impressed with his efforts at Yeovil and Bristol, both of whom played good football while achieving lower league sucess. After a good start at Bristol, I'm not quite sure what happened there ... probably got caught up in all the Lansdowne property World Cup nonsense.

Jonah Fletcher was so obviously an economic, tactical and political decision with no regard to whether he could actually do the job. With his past history, this club needs a new start ... but it isn't getting it. It's got a manager up to his neck in thumbsgate and previous fall outs, a football chairman brought in by Stapleton, and an extremely football naive owner being nudged by a bunch of the same old superfans who thought Toddy was the second coming. It's another car crash.
We were given the bullshit of all these 7/28/100 day nonsenses that had been supposedly planned. Can anyone tell me what the 7 day plan was then and how it has helped our cause ? And the 28 day plan is due on the table in less than 2 weeks.... can't wait for that one.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
I would jump at the chance of Gary Johnson coming here. I was very impressed with his efforts at Yeovil and Bristol, both of whom played good football while achieving lower league sucess. After a good start at Bristol, I'm not quite sure what happened there ... probably got caught up in all the Lansdowne property World Cup nonsense.

Jonah Fletcher was so obviously an economic, tactical and political decision with no regard to whether he could actually do the job. With his past history, this club needs a new start ... but it isn't getting it. It's got a manager up to his neck in thumbsgate and previous fall outs, a football chairman brought in by Stapleton, and an extremely football naive owner being nudged by a bunch of the same old superfans who thought Toddy was the second coming. It's another car crash.
We were given the bullshit of all these 7/28/100 day nonsenses that had been supposedly planned. Can anyone tell me what the 7 day plan was then and how it has helped our cause ? And the 28 day plan is due on the table in less than 2 weeks.... can't wait for that one.

What have you done.......... moan, moan, moan ! ?

lol!
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:24 pm

I would love to see Johnson here. Fletcher may well turn out to be a good manager, but we have no way of knowing, and we are not in a situation where we have the luxury of finding out!

Make Fletch assistant by all means, but player-manager roles very rarley work.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Womble wrote:
I would love to see Johnson here. Fletcher may well turn out to be a good manager, but we have no way of knowing, and we are not in a situation where we have the luxury of finding out!

Make Fletch assistant by all means, but player-manager roles very rarley work.

Especially at Argyle.In my time Messrs Ufton,Stuttard,Kelly,Lawrence,McCall and Summerfield,although not player/managers,were promoted from within to the seat for different periods of time and under different circumstances,but all had to relinquish the post in the end and give way to more experienced heads.I guess the only two successful player managers were Rowley and Shilton, and Shilts had essentially packed up when he achieved his best at Argyle.I have sympathy for Fletcher,which is probably a lone voice on this site,our squad is simply not good enough and without an influx of players,no manager will turn results around.I suppose the question of the ability to attract players comes into the equation,but who knows what Argyle are offering players to get them down here and whether this would be any different under an experienced manager.As regards Johnson,he lost the plot after his initial successes at Ashton Gate,in spite of Lansdowne's money [he made quite a few bad signings] and seemed to struggle at Peterborough and Northampton,so i'm not sure about him.Rather see Ronnie Moore,personallly.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

To be fair Summerfield did well in his caretaker spells.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Womble wrote:

I can't remember the run of games previous, but after the 4-1 loss at Oldham (although the worst ref in the world- Mark Cowburn didn't help) I think that accelerated Bobby's appointment. Summers always struck me as a good football man, but wasn't strong enough to manage (a bit like McLaren).

I thought Argyle's best assistant was McGovern who I always classed as the brains in the Shilton era- when he left it all seemed to go downhill.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Womble wrote:

You're right there, I thought he did a good job, but he was like a rabbit in the headlights with the media. He hated it and always preferred the 2-i-c / coaching role.... I don't think there's anyway we could say that about Jonah... he's fancied the role ever since his long time admirer and sponsor Sturrock was pushed out, and much has been speculated about the influence he has wielded in the changing room during our demise. He needs to stop thinking about his own future career, move aside and give a proper manager a chance to save the club.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:18 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Womble wrote:

You're right there, I thought he did a good job, but he was like a rabbit in the headlights with the media. He hated it and always preferred the 2-i-c / coaching role.... I don't think there's anyway we could say that about Jonah... he's fancied the role ever since his long time admirer and sponsor Sturrock was pushed out, and much has been speculated about the influence he has wielded in the changing room during our demise. He needs to stop thinking about his own future career, move aside and give a proper manager a chance to save the club.

Sumerfield did a fine job, but it was clearly a role he was unconfortable with, as the media problems showed. To me that makes hs performances even more admirable.

As for Flect, I have never heard any speculation about his influence, care to elaborate? I dotn want him as a manager, but I do want our best player back on form again.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm

In the Mariner days, it was common parlance that nice guy Mariner almost always deferred to Jonah's opinion.... Fletch this, Fletch that.
Not only that, during the Seipgate and subsequent thumbsgate, now being rescreened on pasoti screen 3 at the behest of IJN for a belated poke at one of his disliked posters, Fletch was up there thumbing it more than most.... just like he was up front with the strike threats prior to his promotion upstairs.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Womble wrote:

I can't remember the run of games previous, but after the 4-1 loss at Oldham (although the worst ref in the world- Mark Cowburn didn't help) I think that accelerated Bobby's appointment. Summers always struck me as a good football man, but wasn't strong enough to manage (a bit like McLaren).

I thought Argyle's best assistant was McGovern who I always classed as the brains in the Shilton era- when he left it all seemed to go downhill.

Your assumption regarding McGovern is correct Ali, a friend of mine was a first year professional at Argyle during the Shilton tenure and he has always maintained that Shilts was rarely involved in the training sessions or team tactics. Bowyer and McGovern were the football brains of the operation Shilton was merely a figurehead.

The best football I have witnessed from an Argyle side in all my time thats for sure.
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
In the Mariner days, it was common parlance that nice guy Mariner almost always deferred to Jonah's opinion.... Fletch this, Fletch that.
Not only that, during the Seipgate and subsequent thumbsgate, now being rescreened on pasoti screen 3 at the behest of IJN for a belated poke at one of his disliked posters, Fletch was up there thumbing it more than most.... just like he was up front with the strike threats prior to his promotion upstairs.

Sounds like bullshit to me
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Womble wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

Which part?
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
Womble wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

Which part?

The inference that Fletch is a disruptive influence. The inference that he bullied Mariner into making decisions. The disrespectful use of the name Jonah. The implication that it was an opinion shared by everyone.

The misuse of the word parlance Smile
Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Womble wrote:
The misuse of the word parlance Smile

I thought he was great actor ... we could do with him now at the back. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: The People's President   Gary on the cards? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I feel having a proper manager would give us the best chance of staying up and would be pleased if Brent made the cold decision to replace the strike breaker-as much as anything it'd affirm some respect for Brent, for me. As for who it is, Gary Johnson is proven at this level so would be as good an appointment as any other. I'd imagine he has a wealth more contacts than our superb captain of two and a half relegations, anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

Gary on the cards? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary on the cards?   Gary on the cards? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gary on the cards?
Page 1 of 1