GordonZola
GreenSam
Highwayman
Chemical Ali
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Joe Taylor (think he was one of Eddie Howe's cast offs that Fletch picked up) the young lad who was our chief scout looks to have left the club according to his twitter-

Quote :
Joe Taylor ‏@JoeTaylor437 2h
Another chapter over, good club with some great people there. Onto the next one... #pafc

he's not bitter though-

Quote :
Joe Taylor ‏@JoeTaylor437 10m
It was probably for the best as i would learn nothing off a manager like that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

A chief scout who is barely out of school though...really?

Maybe as a scout, but not a chief scout Laughing
Back to top Go down
Highwayman

Highwayman

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Yea Man wrote:
A chief scout who is barely out of school though...really?

Maybe as a scout, but not a chief scout Laughing

Agree with that but for one of Robert Baden-Powells teams with Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha,
Ging gang goo, ging gang goo chants.
Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Joe Taylor the Chief Scout's leaving was announced with all the other upheavals on May 1st. I expect he was working his contract out.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Did he really tweet that about learning nothing off a manager like that? It's not there anymore so he must have deleted it if he did.

‏@JoeTaylor437 24 May

Three non-league players i recommended to Plymouth have all signed for a Prem, L1 & L2 team in the last couple of days..sums it up #baffled

Interesting alternative perspective- perhaps not so quick to dismiss his abilities?

Back to top Go down
GordonZola

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Joe Taylor (think he was one of Eddie Howe's cast offs that Fletch picked up) the young lad who was our chief scout looks to have left the club according to his twitter-

Quote :
Joe Taylor ‏@JoeTaylor437 2h
Another chapter over, good club with some great people there. Onto the next one... #pafc

he's not bitter though-

Quote :
Joe Taylor ‏@JoeTaylor437 10m
It was probably for the best as i would learn nothing off a manager like that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That second tweet seems to have disappeared...

Perhaps him and Sheridan didn't see eye to eye... But I would rather have Sheridan than this jumped up school boy.
Back to top Go down
Gareth Nicholson

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Was he "Mole" on Pasoti then?
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Wouldn't surprise me to see him go on and have a very successful career- certainly seems driven to the core and his recommendations are only as good as the clubs who follow up on them. That said, I'm broadly very much behind Sheridan and what he's doing so I'm also happy to trust he knows what he's doing.

Btw Garteth...I know who Mole on Pasoti was and it wasn't him. I can see that the club employing a chief scout off his Pasoti postings wouldn't exactly be out of place in this day and age, but it's 2 and 2 making 5 there Laughing
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:18 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me to see him go on and have a very successful career- certainly seems driven to the core and his recommendations are only as good as the clubs who follow up on them. That said, I'm broadly very much behind Sheridan and what he's doing so I'm also happy to trust he knows what he's doing.

Btw Garteth...I know who Mole on Pasoti was and it wasn't him. I can see that the club employing a chief scout off his Pasoti postings wouldn't exactly be out of place in this day and age, but it's 2 and 2 making 5 there Laughing

Notice on his CV that he described himself as head of recruitment-bearing in mind the fact that the players that he presumably recommended nearly got Argyle relegated last year,then i wouldn't have thought that clubs would be in a hurry to employ him in a similar capacity.He lasted 6 months at Burnley and 6 months at Notts County,sounds like another example of the amateurism which has blighted the club in recent times-doubt if Sheridan could give two shits about what the bloke thinks,probably laughs at him.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Did he really tweet that about learning nothing off a manager like that? It's not there anymore so he must have deleted it if he did.

‏@JoeTaylor437 24 May

Three non-league players i recommended to Plymouth have all signed for a Prem, L1 & L2 team in the last couple of days..sums it up #baffled

Interesting alternative perspective- perhaps not so quick to dismiss his abilities?

So you'd take his word over his own abilities (no mention of who these players were) over the objective evidence, which is that the players we did recruit nearly got us relegated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Greenskin wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

Notice on his CV that he described himself as head of recruitment-bearing in mind the fact that the players that he presumably recommended nearly got Argyle relegated last year,then i wouldn't have thought that clubs would be in a hurry to employ him in a similar capacity.He lasted 6 months at Burnley and 6 months at Notts County,sounds like another example of the amateurism which has blighted the club in recent times-doubt if Sheridan could give two shits about what the bloke thinks,probably laughs at him.

sounds like he was a temp, anything to do with you dane?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Another one of team clueless gone, i think shezza is the only one at homepark who knows what a professinal club should be.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm

By chance I still had his twitter page open with the comment (about JS) on it-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh dear- not a very endearing tweet at all but I suppose at least he saw the error of his ways enough to delete it. Btw Chemical, apologies if that came across as I didn't believe you. It was meant more along the lines of 'crikey, did he really say that' than actually asking for proof.

I take the philosophical approach that it's tough to judge how good a chief scout is doing. Perhaps he recommended good players under Fletcher, we couldn't/didn't sign them and the likes of PCH/Griffiths weren't his calls. I personally wouldn't go as far as to say- a good chief scout=good signings and vice versa. He'll have had limited influence. I'm just playing devil's advocate as much as anything solid. Who's to say he didn't recommend for example, Joe Bryan? I will declare an interest here and say that although I've never met the guy or spoke to him online, he is a friend of a mutual friend so perhaps I'm overly inclined to see the good in him. Still don't think any of my points on the matter are particularly flawed logically though.

All that said- he's gone now and however good he was, I like the wider ethos of the way things are being done on the pitch at the moment and I'm happy to go along with what Sheridan's doing in terms of his staffing.
Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm

You also only have his word that he found these 3 non-league gems and recommended them and that they've now been snapped up by prem and CCC teams.

Ask him to name them and who he recommended them to at Argyle who turned them down. You might find he's not as keen to blow his own trumpet once pressed about it.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Well, I suppose for lack of knowing the situation that that's a possibility too. But I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of him making a successful career of it.
Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:48 pm

He may well be telling the truth and we've drop a bollock not listening to him, but I'd rather rely on John Sheridan's judgement than someone who's CV amounts to what he achieved on Football Manager and two weeks work experience at Notts County.

It might sound really patronising to young people but a football scout is surely one of the roles that does require experience in the world of football?

I know that at some stage people need to be given an opportunity or they won't gain experience but head scout? I would guess that he's bigging himself up a tad.
Back to top Go down
GordonZola

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Greenjock wrote:
He may well be telling the truth and we've drop a bollock not listening to him, but I'd rather rely on John Sheridan's judgement than someone who's CV amounts to what he achieved on Football Manager and two weeks work experience at Notts County.

It might sound really patronising to young people but a football scout is surely one of the roles that does require experience in the world of football?

I know that at some stage people need to be given an opportunity or they won't gain experience but head scout? I would guess that he's bigging himself up a tad.

Agreed.

A football scout I think should at least have had a career at a football club so that they know what is required. Not be some twenty year old who think cos they've seen a few games down the park they now what a good player is.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I spoke to somebody who works in football a while back who told me that only 2 League Two clubs have ex pros as their chief scout. The rest presumably go for people who know their football despite not having played. I genuinely think the rise of analyists and scouts who haven't played is a far wider trend than just Argyle and it's the way the game is going. My point isn't really to stick up for Argyle here but to look towards a wider paradigm. Ultimately this new wave of football workers will establish their own networking amongst themselves and the longer they work in football, the more ex-professional contacts they will make.

Again, no idea how good this one is specifically but lets not set the expectations too high for his replacement as far as his playing experience is concerned. I've seen far more succient analysis on football from some people who've never played the same at any serious level than I have from some ex pros. People will say 'AVB is a one off'. He's a one off in that he made it at the highest level yes but most League Two clubs and above are using scouts, analyists and chief scouts that never played to a greater or lesser degree. Bournemouth's head of player development is Eddie Howe's 18 year old nephew and they're doing ok for themselves.
Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
By chance I still had his twitter page open with the comment (about JS) on it-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Does he reckon Carl Fletcher would have taught him any better? John probably thought he was shit and given his background of football manager i support the logic of john sheridan over this no one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chief Scout gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chief Scout gone?   Chief Scout gone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chief Scout gone?
Page 1 of 1