Mock Cuncher
Sir Francis Drake
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Does beer go out of date? Empty
PostSubject: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:32 pm

I am at work and we have just found a case of Carlsberg Export (5% ABV). Nobody is sure why it is here but it is going free to a good home.

I have just been asked if I want it. The only issue is that it is 2 years out of date. "Best before 21/03/11."

This raises a few issues for me. Was Carlsberg Export ever best before any given time? If I take it will it kill me?

I'd appreciate advice from anybody who has experience of drinking out of date ale and I can think of nowhere better to ask than here.

WWATDD?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

yes it does and unless you plan to lose alot of weight and invest in andrex i wouldnt chance it. Will taste funny too.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Not a chance.

It matures like cheese.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

We seem to have a conflict of opinion here but beer as a slimming aid sounds attractive.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Export is alright too.

Grolsch-y.

Drive it to Pompsmouth an I'll have it
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
yes it does and unless you plan to lose alot of weight and invest in andrex i wouldnt chance it. Will taste funny too.

As above, leave well alone. I once had a 4-pack of Tetley's that was about a year out of date and the aftermath wasn't pleasant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:04 pm

This is definitely the right place to ask such a question. You'll be fine. I know these things. If you're not it's probably something you ate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Where is Chemical Ali when you need him....?
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm

beer dont go out of date,folk been drinking it for centuries
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Beer is at its best for upto a few months after brewing. After that the flavour degrades over time. Sealed properly beer is a pretty hostile environment for microrganisms. It won't kill you but it won't taste good either.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Tinned beer is pretty sterile, not even any yeast in it.

"Normally, bottled and canned beer had to be pasteurized to kill the active yeast left in the beer after brewing was completed, otherwise the buildup of gasses in the bottle would explode them on store shelves or ruin the taste of the beer even if the bottles stayed intact"

Straight from Wiki!

have a can, if it tastes shite ditch it, if not get in.

I have drunk OOD beer on many occasions, sold to ships cheap, not sure about 2 years though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I have never had beer in the house for more than a couple of days so no idea drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I drank some Lowenbrau in Thailand that was five years out of date and me and the missus were both really Ill for a couple of weeks. We found out later that the beer had all been retrieved from the bottom of the canal that was like an open sewer, but as long as it isn't stored in this way it will be fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Take it home, don't drink it, just "lay it down" in your cellar and wait for 20 years. It will be worth a fortune. A sound investment.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Gert Loinz wrote:
Beer is at its best for upto a few months after brewing. After that the flavour degrades over time. Sealed properly beer is a pretty hostile environment for microrganisms. It won't kill you but it won't taste good either.

I'd go with this. Best before dates are put on food products to indicate a potential decline in quality from that date, whereas Use by dates are usually due to potential spoilage/ food poisoning concerns.

Try some and if it tastes ok then it should be ok. Or give it to someone with poor eye sight (if you don't know one of them a scotsman will do) as a gift.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Gert Loinz wrote:

I'd go with this. Best before dates are put on food products to indicate a potential decline in quality from that date, whereas Use by dates are usually due to potential spoilage/ food poisoning concerns.

Try some and if it tastes ok then it should be ok. Or give it to someone with poor eye sight (if you don't know one of them a scotsman will do) as a gift.

affraid drunken No
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Make me stronger!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:48 pm

I turned the offer down.

It was only bloody lager after all.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Take it to a party and then drink the good stuff! bounce

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:21 am

With a bit of tending this thread could push Guest's* Mundane into 3rd place.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:38 pm

seadog wrote:

And that's a good thing because ... ? (Six sentences or less, please)

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Take it to a party and then drink the good stuff! bounce

Now that's enterprising Razz
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Peggy * wrote:
seadog wrote:

And that's a good thing because ... ? (Six sentences or less, please)

Cool

Fishing does not always involve catching, but sometimes one gets a good nibble, no pineapple involved.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does beer go out of date?   Does beer go out of date? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does beer go out of date?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next