The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Danny Salman's column

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Danny Salman's column Empty
PostSubject: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Former Plymouth Argyle star Danny Salman's forthright column

FIRST of all, congratulations to the Argyle players and manager John Sheridan for their improved set of results.

Eight points from 12 or, if you like, unbeaten in four has given them a platform to try and climb away from the relegation places.

all right, the performances may not have been all that we'd like from a club the size of Argyle, but needs must and there is now an air of positivity around Home Park which wasn't there a couple of weeks back.

Credit where it's due. I think two wins and two draws, plus two clean sheets after three defeats in a row in January, is very good going.

We've taken points from clubs around us and also in our favour is that most of the fellow strugglers have not taken advantage of games in hand, so we're better off in that sense, too.

I think Argyle's recent good form will be tested on Saturday at home to Oxford United, who are mid-table.

This is a game the manager will want to win, but I'm sure Oxford's manager will be targeting Plymouth as a game he thinks they can win.

We've then got another pretty tough team to visit, Northampton Town, on Saturday-week, before going to AFC Wimbledon at the end of month, who are fighting for their lives to stay in the Football League, so it will be difficult.

Hopefully, Argyle can get another result on Saturday against Oxford and then go to Northampton and Wimbledon with even more confidence – and, just as importantly, having put distance between themselves and the bottom two, whoever they may be.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We know what a cruel game football can be and how quickly a good run can go wrong.

Confidence is key in most things in life and for a professional footballer it's just as important.

I think Guy Branston has helped tighten things up at the back with his experience and ability to organise – and we've got more options in midfield and up front.

Winning at Aldershot last Saturday, through a combination of opportunism and resilience, will have put the players in good heart.

The large number of Argyle fans who made the trip were justly rewarded with a win and with a similar focus on Saturday, the undefeated run can be extended.

Again, though, the onus is going to be on the result over performance, which is something the powers what be will address at the end of the season – hopefully when we're safe from relegation.

I'd like to see an end to the revolving door policy at Home Park, less use of the loan policy and more continuity in terms of manager and playing staff.

I know short-term loans seem to be a way of life now, especially in the lower leagues, and if John thinks bringing in a loanee will improve his squad, then I'll back him all day long.

But at some stage, and I think the Green Army will agree with this, a re-think has to be taken by the board on how we go forward.

The fans deserve that and I think a club of Argyle's size does, too. But let's get safe from relegation, first.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Follow us: @thisisplymouth on Twitter | thisisplymouth on Facebook

Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Tgwu wrote:

FIRST of all, congratulations to the Argyle players and manager John Sheridan for their improved set of results.

Eight points from 12 or, if you like, unbeaten in four has given them a platform to try and climb away from the relegation places.

all right, the performances may not have been all that we'd like from a club the size of Argyle, but needs must and there is now an air of positivity around Home Park which wasn't there a couple of weeks back.

Credit where it's due. I think two wins and two draws, plus two clean sheets after three defeats in a row in January, is very good going.

We've taken points from clubs around us and also in our favour is that most of the fellow strugglers have not taken advantage of games in hand, so we're better off in that sense, too.

I think Argyle's recent good form will be tested on Saturday at home to Oxford United, who are mid-table.

This is a game the manager will want to win, but I'm sure Oxford's manager will be targeting Plymouth as a game he thinks they can win.

We've then got another pretty tough team to visit, Northampton Town, on Saturday-week, before going to AFC Wimbledon at the end of month, who are fighting for their lives to stay in the Football League, so it will be difficult.

Hopefully, Argyle can get another result on Saturday against Oxford and then go to Northampton and Wimbledon with even more confidence – and, just as importantly, having put distance between themselves and the bottom two, whoever they may be.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We know what a cruel game football can be and how quickly a good run can go wrong.

Confidence is key in most things in life and for a professional footballer it's just as important.

I think Guy Branston has helped tighten things up at the back with his experience and ability to organise – and we've got more options in midfield and up front.

Winning at Aldershot last Saturday, through a combination of opportunism and resilience, will have put the players in good heart.

The large number of Argyle fans who made the trip were justly rewarded with a win and with a similar focus on Saturday, the undefeated run can be extended.

Again, though, the onus is going to be on the result over performance, which is something the powers what be will address at the end of the season – hopefully when we're safe from relegation.

I'd like to see an end to the revolving door policy at Home Park, less use of the loan policy and more continuity in terms of manager and playing staff.

I know short-term loans seem to be a way of life now, especially in the lower leagues, and if John thinks bringing in a loanee will improve his squad, then I'll back him all day long.

But at some stage, and I think the Green Army will agree with this, a re-think has to be taken by the board on how we go forward.

The fans deserve that and I think a club of Argyle's size does, too. But let's get safe from relegation, first.

Think Board & Forward-seeing those three words together in a sentence about PAFC must be a first
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Tgwu wrote:

Excellent as always from Mr Salman
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Yep punchie, he's spot on every time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 pm

He's stating the bleddy obvious which it has been to the majority for a very long time. And he probably gets paid for it as well.
Back to top Go down
Old Timer

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 am

Should he state falsehoods and not get paid ?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
He's stating the bleddy obvious which it has been to the majority for a very long time. And he probably gets paid for it as well.

Thing is SG, he's the only one who has the tools to communicate to the wider world outside t'internet who has consistently told it like it is with no thought to any consequences to himself if the club decided to be awkward.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman's column   Danny Salman's column Empty

Back to top Go down

Danny Salman's column
Page 1 of 1