Go down 
+3
Greenskin
Tringreen
Freathy
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Ali reportedly on his last legs Empty
PostSubject: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am

Sad to think of such an amazing sporting icon and funny man to be close to death. If there is any justice in life he will pass quickly with no more pain.

Imagine the beating he would give the klitschko brothers in his heyday? Probably take them both at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am

Just seen this. Very sad. I saw Muhammad Ali once when I was in Dubai in 1989. He was coming out of a hotel and was mobbed by a massive crowd who were waiting outside that went absolutely mad when he appeared. Sporting legends don't come any bigger.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 am

Indisputably the sporting genius of the 20th century.

'I'm so fast and I'm so pretty, I could kiss myself !' lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 pm

There seem to be conflicting reports about how close to the end he is but when he does go,without exaggertation, it will seem as if part of my life goes.My all time sporting hero,bigger than Nicklaus,Boycott,Davis,Mariner-and thats saying something.I'll never forget the feeling of numbed disbelief when he lost to Frazier in their first fight-it was impossible,he couldn't lose-i nearly died that night,it was just awful.Only matched by the euphoria and elation after the Rumble in the jungle-doubt if any other boxer in history would have had the gumption to fight the way Ali fought that fight and finally win back the title that those Kluxxers took away from him in 1967.To think we didn't really see him at his peak,utterly criminal-i don't think he'd have been beaten for years and years [if at all] had things run their natural course.I just can't imagine anyone being able to beat him at his best-handspeed,footwork,reflexes,ability to take a punch and recover,underestimated knock out power,it was all there.So sad and sobering to see him now-a stark reminder of human mortality,even for the greatest among us.

Float like a butterfly,sting like a bee.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

For me, you could throw a blanket over Ali, Nicklaus, and Pele in terms of being sheer geniuses and worldwide iconic sporting legends.

The two stand-outs I've had the privilege to watch live would be Woods and Gascoigne.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I absolutely agree with all of that Greenskin. I became a boxing fan when he appeared on the scene having not had a lot of interest before. He was around in the days when boxers were proper boxers and not fed on a diet of fodder to make a name for themselves. There were some great fighters around in his time unlike the crap of today who wouldn't be worthy of tying his boots. To see him in his present state is enough to make you weep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Subject of a brilliant song by Faithless too. Maxi Jazz was obviously influenced by Ali.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
I absolutely agree with all of that Greenskin. I became a boxing fan when he appeared on the scene having not had a lot of interest before. He was around in the days when boxers were proper boxers and not fed on a diet of fodder to make a name for themselves. There were some great fighters around in his time unlike the crap of today who wouldn't be worthy of tying his boots. To see him in his present state is enough to make you weep.

Yep,from Sonny Liston through Patterson,Chuvalo,Folley,Cooper to Frazier,Foreman,Bonavena,Quarry,Norton and Holmes [an abomination of a fight,for which King should have had his testicles removed with piano wire and replaced with perma agony causing devices],there were class acts all over the place back then.The nadir for me came when that British guy,can't even be bothered to remember his name, gobbed at his russian opponent in the pre fight build up,told you all you need to know about the man and the "class"on offer in the game these days.Only Tyson and Lewis have come anywhere remotely near the class [in the ring,anyway] of those guys in the past 20 odd years IMHO.If i was dying tomorrow and had one sporting event in the past that i could attend for a last request,it would be the first Clay v Liston fight-wow!

I shook up the world! I shook up the world!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lol! And he did shake up the world,too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Some brief clips from Parkinson interviews

ALI

A remarkable, remarkable man - the likes of which we're unlikely to see again
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Damn your eyes Mike, I was just sorting out a link to Ali and Parky! Mad Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 pm

WOW - what memories

Ali - THIS IS YOUR LIFE
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 am

I am the greatest
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am

I had no real interest in boxing before the young Cassius Marcellus Clay came along and then I couldn't wait for his next fight.

I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.

If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.

Muhammad Ali

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Just been watching this excellent youtube video on Muhammad Ali ,'The Greatest of All Time' .

Watch the Nixon clip at 22 min 35 secs. It struck a chord with me. How ironic for Nixon to say it.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Mike Searle wrote:
WOW - what memories

Ali - THIS IS YOUR LIFE

Wonderful. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 am

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
Mike Searle wrote:
WOW - what memories

Ali - THIS IS YOUR LIFE

Thanks from me too. Brought a tear to my eye.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am

Tringreen wrote:
Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
Mike Searle wrote:
WOW - what memories

Ali - THIS IS YOUR LIFE

Indeed twas fabulous watching that. What year was it? Ali looked as if he was in the early stages of his illness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
Mike Searle wrote:
WOW - what memories

Ali - THIS IS YOUR LIFE

Indeed twas fabulous watching that. What year was it? Ali looked as if he was in the early stages of his illness.

Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 2:26 pm

More here.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
More here.

I hadn't seen that one before - brilliant - many thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ali reportedly on his last legs   Ali reportedly on his last legs Empty

Back to top Go down

Ali reportedly on his last legs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: