lawnmowerman
shonbo
Dougie
Chemical Ali
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Herald's Dorchester Preview Empty
PostSubject: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 am

Dorchester Town boss, Phil Simkin, gives his views on Argyle and Kevin Nancekivell -

Quote :
Dorchester boss Simkin has healthy respect for Argyle coach Nancekivell
Thursday, November 01, 2012Western Morning NewsFollow
First-team coach Kevin Nancekivell will renew a long-time rivalry when Plymouth Argyle visit Dorchester Town in the FA Cup this weekend.

Nancekivell and Dorchester boss Phil Simkin were regularly on opposing sides during their playing days in South West non-league football.

Now they will come up against each other in an ESPN-televised FA Cup first-round tie on Sunday.

Nancekivell had two successful spells at Tiverton Town, either side of a short period with Argyle in the 2000-01 season.

During his early days with Tiverton they used to play Bridport in the Western League and that brought him up against Simkin.

While Nancekivell spent much of his career at Tiverton, Simkin also appeared for Weymouth, as well as Dorchester.

Simkin had a lot of respect for Nancekivell as a player and has heard good reports on his coachingability.

"I don't know [Argyle manager] Carl Fletcher personally but I have known Kevin Nancekivell for more years than I care to remember," said Simkin. "I played against him when he was at Tiverton and he was very good at that level. He had a great engine.

"As I understand it, he's now a very good coach. I think he has a lot of input on the training ground."

Simkin was appointed as Dorchester's manager in April after the departure of former long-serving Portsmouth goalkeeper Alan Knight.

He had previously been the caretaker boss for a spell towards the end of 2011 after the departure of Ashley Vickers.

Dorchester finished 11th in the Football Conference South last season and now, in Simkin's first full campaign, they are tenth after 12 games.

Exeter City, and their director of football Steve Perryman, have been very supportive of Simkin, and Dorchester. Striker Tom Nichols was loaned to the Magpies last term and scored nine goals in 12 games.

Two of Exeter's young prospects, midfielder Jake Gosling and striker Jamie Reid, are with the Magpies and have put in impressive displays.

Gosling has not been allowed to play in the FA Cup for Dorchester, who have already won three home ties in the competition this season.

Reid, however, has had his loan extended by an extra three days so he can play against the Pilgrims.

Dorchester had boasted a 100 per cent home record until they lost 2-1 to Tonbridge Angels in the Conference South last Saturday.

Simkin said: "We haven't got the biggest of squads and Exeter City have helped us out by loaning us a couple of really good young lads. Like a lot of clubs at our level, we do rely heavily on loans.

"We are very grateful to Exeter City for that. I have a good relationship with Steve Perryman and long may that continue.

"I'm delighted with the way the season has gone so far and I'm hoping with the money we make from our FA Cup run the club will invest a bit more in our budget."

Like Argyle, Dorchester have experienced financial troubles in recent times but they are now on a much firmer footing.

Both clubs will receive a £63,800 broadcast fee for their first-round clash being screened live on ESPN.

"It's a nice boost to get a cash windfall like this," said Simkin. "It has been a rocky road over the last couple of seasons and things haven't been easy.

"This situation we find ourselves in, with the FA Cup prize money and TV cash, is massive for us."

Simkin was thrilled when he found out the game against Argyle would be broadcast to the nation on ESPN.

Dorchester officials are forecasting an attendance of 2,500, in addition to the TV audience. Simkin said: "It's a Westcountry derby, I suppose, and it has got all the makings of a good FA Cup tie.

"It has been pretty hectic over the last week with lots of meetings about the game and we have upgraded one or two things safety-wise."

The Avenue Stadium opened in 1990 on the outskirts of Dorset's county town and has good facilities.

Bournemouth and Yeovil Town have both used the ground in the past to play home Football League games.

Simkin said: "The facilities are very good. It's a nice place to play football. It does bring out the best in other teams as well. The changing rooms are comfortable. This year we have invested in the pitch and the surface is very good.

LINK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am

Ahhhh good, football clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

I thought it would attract a bigger gate than they are expecting.

I was going but following recent revelations I can't trust myself to steer clear of purposely bumping into a few people I would like some answers from!

Added to the fact that I don't feel like the club give a feck about what is being discussed recently, or may even be involved in what is being discussed.

I get the distinct impression that "people like me" are not welcome as Argyle fans anymore, and I know quite a few people who share that view.

Silence from the club over some pretty disturbing revelations, which seem to be growing daily if recent PM's and phone conversations are anything to go by.

It's sad to think that a club struggling like we are can afford to stick two fingers up to the fans, or at least some of them, just to keep another set of fans happy.

If that's what Peter Jones and James Brent want then feck them!

I'm not one for switching allegiance and suddenly becoming a Man Utd or Chelsea fan, but right now I've pretty much ran out of Fucks to give about Plymouth Argyle.

All that means is the club loses another supporter of 30 years or so. No-one else will gain from it except my family, but there must be potential supporters right now thinking along the same lines as me and deciding to get Sky Sports rather than turn up at Home Park and part with their cash.

Sure they'll come flooding back if we ever make the 3rd round of the FA Cup again and draw Liverpool, but week in week out these people are being lost.

Somebody must know this surely?
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 am

As close to a banker away win as you can get I would have thought. I know the cameras are there waiting for an upset but 99/100 we shouldn't lose or expect to lose.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

I was going to go, but don't think I'll be bothering now. Losing heart with all of this.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 12:03 pm

shonbo wrote:
I was going to go, but don't think I'll be bothering now. Losing heart with all of this.

Feel exactly the same as you . Why should I bother when the club does fookall to sort things out. Still want us to win but losing interest very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Has there been any word on whether our loanees are allowed to play?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 3:01 pm

The chappy Champion from ESPN says in the Herald he thinks Argyle will go through to round two [he states Argyle are much improved from last season] and i agree with him. I think Argyle will give Dorchester a good old spanking.

I was looking at the Dorchester fans forum and it appears the Town is buzzing for this cup tie. One Dorchester fan bought tickets and his were numbered in the 1,500 mark.

So it looks likely that it will be a sale out,with POTD aswell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Dougie wrote:
Has there been any word on whether our loanees are allowed to play?

I believe Griffiths and Mad Jo can, Maccy D can't.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am

Flying to Spain on Sunday so I shall miss the one and only TV appearance this season.

As we're going over to complete a purchase of a property on a golf course, (Greenskin, please note Very Happy ), I'm sure I'll cope.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:10 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Flying to Spain on Sunday so I shall miss the one and only TV appearance this season.

As we're going over to complete a purchase of a property on a golf course, (Greenskin, please note Very Happy ), I'm sure I'll cope.

Not Estepona by any chance?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am

Mike Searle wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

No, Sucina, just outside of Murcia.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
The chappy Champion from ESPN says in the Herald he thinks Argyle will go through to round two [he states Argyle are much improved from last season] and i agree with him. I think Argyle will give Dorchester a good old spanking.

I was looking at the Dorchester fans forum and it appears the Town is buzzing for this cup tie. One Dorchester fan bought tickets and his were numbered in the 1,500 mark.

So it looks likely that it may be a sell out,what with POTD aswell.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Mike Searle wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

No, Sucina, just outside of Murcia.

Sucina v a combined Hurdwick/Sparkwell team next year? Can't imagine walking off a tee and sliding on your arse out there. lol!

Can't agree with some the comments about banker away win on Sunday.Dorchester are a better side than Stourbridge and although Argyle are improved,i would bite hands off for a draw on Sunday.Very tough assignment IMHO.

Look how far we've come. lol! jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I see us losing this one.
I remember when Argyle, almost up to the 80s, were one of the very few league clubs never to have lost to non-league opposition in the FA Cup.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Penzance wrote:
I see us losing this one.
I remember when Argyle, almost up to the 80s, were one of the very few league clubs never to have lost to non-league opposition in the FA Cup.

I think it was Worcester City who broke our record in Malcolm's second spell at Argyle.Quite a few since then,Dagenham,Chester and that disaster last season spring to mind.Vaguely remember Bicks scoring a few against Corby in the 1960's and a near riot at Twerton Park against Bath between Argyle fans and some Bristol Rovers people out for a day's violence.My dear old dad once caught a special train to watch Argyle at Gainsborough Trinity which also was for Torquay supporters going to Notts County-apparently it was a twelve coach train and there were a total of 14 people on board! At least Argyle won,as you say it was a virtual foregone conclusion back then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I remember Argyle scoring two late goals at Dartford back probably in the 70's to scrape through 2-1.....phew a near thing.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 5:02 pm

If anyone was under any illusions about just how tough tomorrow could prove to be;

Chelmsford 3 Colchester 1
Swindon 0 Macclesfield 2
Torquay 0 Harrogate 1
Hereford 3 Shrewsbury 1

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Dorchester are about our level so it'll be a more even affair than we're used to in the league. Carl the clueless will ensure Dorchester go through to round 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herald's Dorchester Preview   Herald's Dorchester Preview Empty

Back to top Go down

Herald's Dorchester Preview
Page 1 of 1