Tgwu
Sir Francis Drake
Mock Cuncher
seadog
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Happy Days! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm

knecht wrote:
Stayed overnight in Mansfield over 40 years ago when I was hitching. The centre at night felt a bit like the Wild West even then.

Spent 2 hours in Mansfield over 40 years ago with a namesake and old schoolbuddy of yours .... with a broken down car ... and so hiring a 30 seater coach to get the seven of us, who had foolishly crammed into said big car, to Elland road to see the big Argyle cup game.
Being Leeds and the early 70s, needless to say we left the game early under a hail of bricks. The hired coach driver was not best pleased.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Mapperley, darling wrote:
[quote="Greenjock"
Looking back it's fun but I absolutely crapped myself that day and could've been seriously injured if we hadn't outrun the majority of them.

no problem doing that in mansfield now, theyre all fat bastards!

I had no idea it was such a shithole though. I was expecting a leafy extension of the nice areas of Nottingham Razz

To make things worse it was a boring 0-0 draw, the beer was shit and I dropped my chips when they charged towards us. I was feckin starving too Crying or Very sad

was that an opening day fixture? ive been to a couple of argo games there, both ended in draws, one was nil nil the other two each[/quote]

Yeah it was first game of the season, but I can't remember the year. There was trouble inside the ground because the away end was small and was full so a fair few Argyle fans were put in the stand above the Mansfield fans. Inevitably a few missiles were thrown and every now and then a fight would break out in the stand.

There was one mordenish pub which was a bit lively before the game, and when it began to fill up with Argyle fans, the Police paid it a visit and told us we had to leave and go to another pub. We went to a weird pub that was called The Jockey or something to do with horse-racing, and it looked like an old mans pub. Inside it was full of punks, goths and other assorted freaks and it was a right laugh in there.

When we left, a policewoman told us whatever we did it was best to avoid the market place, and of course this is where we were when we got chased. We only went there because their was a fish and chip shop open. It was when we were waiting for our food that 2 lads from Mansfield came in and clocked us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Penzance wrote:
knecht wrote:
Stayed overnight in Mansfield over 40 years ago when I was hitching. The centre at night felt a bit like the Wild West even then.

Spent 2 hours in Mansfield over 40 years ago with a namesake and old schoolbuddy of yours .... with a broken down car ... and so hiring a 30 seater coach to get the seven of us, who had foolishly crammed into said big car, to Elland road to see the big Argyle cup game.
Being Leeds and the early 70s, needless to say we left the game early under a hail of bricks. The hired coach driver was not best pleased.

The Mighty Leeds v the Even Mightier Argyle?! I was there having travelled cross country by train from the Midlands on my own. And then somehow ending up via very circuitous routes as the only person on Stalybridge station waiting for the last train. The most memorable thing for me was the performance of Roger Kirkpatrick - especially his "pretend" booking of Jimmy 'The Legs' Hinch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Happy days ??????????????????????
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I only ever got into 1 fight at an away game and ended up punching an Argyle fan out in swindon. I was walking with some home fans after the game and a group of about 6 Argo fans attacked us. Ended up being chased by the old bill and escaping into one of the swindon fan's house and having a cup of tea!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 pm

I've watched Argo at Millwall twice. First occasion (mid 90s) I was actually sat in the home end. I was sat in the stand adjacent to the Argyle fans who were in the upper tier behind the goal. Some Millwall fans behind me were picking out individual Argyle fans and saying"ee's firm" and "I know that geezer". When Argyle netted it was vey hard to surpress my delight before I realised it had been ruled out. Luckily no-one noticed. Then I had Millwall fans all around me shouting at the mistakenly celebrating Argyle fans "SIT DAAAAAAAN YOU FAAACKIN MAAAPITS!!!!!!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I was in the Devonport End for the FA Cup Quarter Final with Derby. Unfortunately the Derby fans had been allocated the Devonport End and my Dad's friend had gotten us the tickets from a friend in Chesterfield.

It was quite hairy before and after the game that day, but at least then the stewards showed some common sense and allowed us into the Mayflower End.

Even as a 13 year old the atmosphere was not pleasant, and I'm sure my Dad's friend helped us with his broad Derbyshire accent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 am

greengenes wrote:
Happy days ??????????????????????

Yes, me and the Fonz used to use inter city trains to go to footy matches in the 80's, we would meet up with a load of real mates, don our jesters hats and have a jolly good sing song in a pub before having a pasty and a pint. Those were the days. jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am

When I went away to QPR, I was in a pub and an Argyle fan had a radio with him that he decided to smash up - there was plastic everywhere. That was a great day out as we exited Loftus Road on a staircase that ran below the QPR social club/pub and were showered in cockney spit.

An individual I know doesn't go very often as there's no 'fun' in the lower leagues - he means that there's not much trouble as the away fans we get visiting tend to be the Aviva types on official coaches. I don't quite see how you can define 'fun' as smacking someone from Wales with a bottle but some people find it quite fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Days!   Happy Days! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Days!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2