Poor old them Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:44 pm

hairy j wrote:
Not the club. The new shop. LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Poor old them Very Happy

Shouldn't you be playing computer games?!
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 pm

It's 'videogames' you ingrate.
Back to top Go down
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 pm

hairy j wrote:
It's 'videogames' you ingrate.

lol!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Don't be so mean Hairy!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 am

John Lewis is fookin shite anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
John Lewis is fookin shite anyway.

That's racist
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Exeter is fast leaving Plymouth behind i fear adn what is our council doing about it are they looking to make the airport more viable? are they talking to big name stores to come to our high street to replace all the other shops that are shuttting down? or are pushing ahead with new ways to make plymouth attractive? no they are busy pushing for postboxes for bronze medalist and pretty much bowing to James Brents ice rink arena idea.
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 4:06 pm

There's not much any council can do about it Renee... and nothing to do with an airport either.
Apart from the extra 45 minutes down the road, it's the very nature of Plymouth that's it's own worst enemy. Some retailers who value their brand wouldn't dream of trying to sell out of Plymouth.
This is a garrison town, similar to Portsmouth, with a culture to match ... Exeter is quite, quite different, it's an old university county town that many people recognise as somewhere they would live.

Exeter University have been told in no uncertain terms ... divorce Plymouth, and you can re-join our red brick university lifeboat ... says it all...
As the new economic portcullis comes down on vast swathes of the UK, Plymouth WILL be on the wrong side of it.
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Penzance wrote:
There's not much any council can do about it Renee... and nothing to do with an airport either.
Apart from the extra 45 minutes down the road, it's the very nature of Plymouth that's it's own worst enemy. Some retailers who value their brand wouldn't dream of trying to sell out of Plymouth.
This is a garrison town, similar to Portsmouth, with a culture to match ... Exeter is quite, quite different, it's an old university county town that many people recognise as somewhere they would live.

Exeter University have been told in no uncertain terms ... divorce Plymouth, and you can re-join our red brick university lifeboat ... says it all...
As the new economic portcullis comes down on vast swathes of the UK, Plymouth WILL be on the wrong side of it.

Plymouth with all that it can offer should be re branding to appeal to big business to come here its turning into a ghost town as it is. People are leaving rather than staying here as there is not alot here compared to exeter
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 am

Penzance wrote:

We always have been, this cyclical nature of boom and bust in Britain always leaves us feeling sorry for ourselves. The trouble is we have these real clever economists like Prof. Gripyerarse (of Plymouth University funnily enough) who have been pitching for Plymouth to become a University city. Well we have done that to excess IMO. we are now pretty well only a University town, if that goes on a downward spiral (as people realize there is no point going to uni for three years, getting £30k worth of debt around your neck for a bullshit qualification nobody wants) the uni will revert back to a size that just accommodates the cream of the cities students. At least we will be able to buy cheap flats.
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Theres no doubt that the vast expansion of Plymouth Uni has benefitted Plymouth in terms of jobs & spending in the city. I fear however that Plymouth Uni has backed the wrong horse in targeting students achieving Cs & Ds at A level.
When (if) the economy picks up & there are some lower end jobs being created for school leavers then the ones at the lower end of the scale will be more inclined to seek a job rather than racking up huge debts doing a degree for which there may well never be much demand.
With the ludicrous 9k student fees there is bound to be a huge drop off in student numbers, this drop off will naturally come off the lower end of the market (Plymouth)

Exeter Uni on the other hand are going the other way, now a member of the prestigious Russell group & currently targeting AAB students although the average A level mark of the 2012 intake was A* AA. They now rank as 7th Uni in the UK.
This top end of the scale has nothing to fear from rising student fees & will only get stronger as the bloated number of UK Universities contracts, as it will in due course.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 am

do you really think plymouth uni can actually justify charging 9k? i thought it was up to the individual universities to set their own fees, up to 9k, or am i wrong?

and exeter has always been a top end university alongsides nottingham, but below oxbridge
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 pm

It is up to the individual Uni to decide how much they will charge up to a 9k ceiling Mapperley,
& almost without exception they all charged 9k ! I too have no idea how they justify it.

Exeter, along with Bristol, Bath, Durham, UCL etc. are known as Oxbridge reject Unis.

Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Iggy wrote:
the uni will revert back to a size that just accommodates the cream of the cities students. At least we will be able to buy cheap flats.

And of course, ignoring the protestations of rich boys Clegg and Cameron, this IS the long term policy, even though they could never say publicly.

I think we all knew the aimed for 50% student take up was a joke given that 50% of jobs just don't need a degree to perform them.
But cutting demand by putting a huge debt on the end of it means the education system WILL revert back to the old pre war days when further education, and hence the best jobs, will go to those who are far better off, not the best academic students.

As for the blight of student accomodation that almost every big city has encouraged, and that which our boy James can't wait to cash in on, it will empty quicker than Home Park at 4.45pm as the university industry declines thus freeing it up to pave the way to flood the market with all those sub standard sized flats that at present actually fail the housing association criteria of decent housing for full residential living. In the meantime the rich developers get a breeze through planning, trouble free tennants guaranteed to pay up, with no right to 12 months a year tenure, and tax breaks on the income... a licence to print money, and all paid for by government loans... they've never had it so good.

And guess who will buy up most of these accomodations that are not much better than 'pods' .... no sane individual would buy a pod, so the councils and housing associations will have to. Most will become the new slums.... job done ... and that's where I came into life ... listening as a child to the brave new 'walkways in the sky' bullshit that developers forced onto the British public... and so it goes on... no more than long term housing policy influenced by the big builders, just as it was then.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm

At least Plymouth University has an expert in his fields in one of the top jobs. I give Professor David Wheeler - Dean of the Plymouth Business School & Pro Vice-Chancellor, Plymouth Business School. Nothing to worry about there then. Very Happy

As for Plymouth is got everything and nothing going for it. I remember reading a Financial Times article when I was at secondary school in the late 70s/ early 80s that Plymouth was in the top 30 of places best placed to take advantage of the newly expanding European Union. I'd love to find that article again and re read why the writer thought so and see why the City didn't.

It has always been a city of discovery and some of the names on that heroes list show that but unlike other cities two few adventurers and explorers have probably come back they have been gifted to the rest of the country. Even now that diaspora can been seen at Argyle away games all over the country.

But I've often thought that the shilly shallying between Conservative and Labour Councils has not served the city well. A benign dictating long term political consensus helps form a tone for and long term plans for a place.

I would go on but my teas ready. Literally.
Back to top Go down

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 am

ATD the question time of football forums.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Nope still haven't been!! Just another overpriced chain store Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
Sponsored content

Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter   Exeter Empty

Back to top Go down

Exeter
Page 1 of 1