Mariner...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am

Had a nice chat with Paul Mariner again last night at the LA Galaxy match. He was coaching Toronto. The last time was just before he joined Argyle again.

Nudge, nudge, wink... wink...

Anyway... A true gent and so nice to my 12 year old son.

He was saddened by the events that unfolded as he got the chance again to become involved at Argyle.

He already knew how Argyle had got on against Morecambe...

He wished all the fans and the club well!

The Galaxy won 4-2
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:53 pm

What are we being nudgenudgewinkwinked about here? Did he say anything interesting?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
fridgey

fridgey

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I have to agree, I met Paul Mariner up at Home Park with my young boy and he took time to come over and chat to him, a true gent. However a complete disaster as a manager.....
Back to top Go down

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 pm

fridgey wrote:
I have to agree, I met Paul Mariner up at Home Park with my young boy and he took time to come over and chat to him, a true gent. However a complete disaster as a manager.....

Indeed he was, I don't blame Paul Mariner though. As far as I understood it he was brought in by Todd at the time when he was trying to give the hard sell to his world cup fantasy. I believe in Todd's opinion having a big name former England player as manager added to the kudos & would impress the FIFA reps.
I don't believe Todd gave a flying one about Mariner's ability or otherwise to manage Argyle. Just another example of Todd's gross mis-management although Paul Mariner must have believed in his own ability to take the job.
Back to top Go down

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

He is a club legend but why the Nwo brought him here to take over from Luggy and his team was baffling. Glad he has a head coach role in Toronto where he wont be a fish out of water.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

I really thought we might get a couple of Jason Bent-on-crack types, but whatever contacts he had from over there never really seemed to materialise (Kenny Cooper?).

Not sure how negative one can be about his tenure, given the goings on behind the scenes...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I thought he was ok, given the circumstances ... and don't forget, it was Captain Jonah almost running the changing room ... being thrown in and the sort of nice guy he is, Mariner deferred a lot to his captain ....everything in the changing room went through the Welsh wizard with the inevitable result.
Back to top Go down

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm

But to say one good thing about the NWO at least they knew an inexperienced manager needs experience around him and hired John Carver which made all the difference. Pity we didnt bring in another coach to really help Paul i think we might have stayed up.

Oh well Sad
Back to top Go down

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm

It was very interesting how Mariner undeservedly copped a lot of flack from Pasoti very quickly ... he was never their doyen and I imagine that was due to his replacing Sturrock, who had gotten together quite a little following, what with the Ponty thing and other animals.
I wonder if they had to shorten the sleeves and troosers of the suit Ponty had worn to fit IJN for this present tenure.

I saw nothing but a hugely motivated man in Mariner, full of vigour, was honoured to have the position, and as Renee has just said, he needed a bit more guidance ... Carver helped somewhat, but it was a huge ask.
Back to top Go down

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Penzance wrote:
It was very interesting how Mariner undeservedly copped a lot of flack from Pasoti very quickly ... he was never their doyen and I imagine that was due to his replacing Sturrock, who had gotten together quite a little following, what with the Ponty thing and other animals.
I wonder if they had to shorten the sleeves and troosers of the suit Ponty had worn to fit IJN for this present tenure.

I saw nothing but a hugely motivated man in Mariner, full of vigour, was honoured to have the position, and as Renee has just said, he needed a bit more guidance ... Carver helped somewhat, but it was a huge ask.

I didnt like the way keith todd used mariner to push Summerfield and Blackley out the door and later used to over throw sturrock (rightly too as sturrock should have gone a year before he moved up) he was set up for a great fall in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mariner... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mariner...   Mariner... Empty

Back to top Go down

Mariner...
Page 1 of 1