And The New Captain Is...

Go down 
+2
Tringreen
mouldyoldgoat
6 posters
AuthorMessage

And The New Captain Is... Empty
PostSubject: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 6:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Darren Purse. Unsurprisingly. Good luck to him.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Great news. Go Darren sort it out!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 pm

A bad choice in my opinion. I would have gone for Wotton ... I don't go for all the Pasoti Wotton myths. There's a gang again at Home Park, all positions are spoken for, and will be while Fletcher is the manager. I wonder how bad it would have to be for Harry to give his intelligent up and coming manager ( his words, not mine ) the push.

I expect Fletcher will have half an eye over his shoulder at Wotts given his Argyle history and constituency, and wouldn't have wanted to give him the captaincy .... after all, look how the last captain pushed his way up and out lasted three managers. Make no mistake about it, behind that dull exterior, Fletcher is a politician first and foremost, and has an eye for a position. How else could he have ended up where he has so easily with no experience whatsoever, and the worst of records at this club.

Last edited by Penz on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

The correct choice however he is a bit to close to Sooty and Sweep for my liking.
He could do with distancing himself from that pair and get on to the gaffer and Harry toot sweet and tell them what they require personnel wise.

I take it he wont be commuting to Birmingham any longer as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
I take it he wont be commuting to Birmingham any longer as well.
Laughing Some hope.
Cue his new buddies saying he doesn't have to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm

We will see Penz Very Happy

The "Gaffer" made a major play in the press that he expected ALL players to buy into the full package down here including relocating families.

I will be interested to see if there are exceptions to that rule.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Ee bleeds green y'know.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Not giving it to Wotton may point towards Fletch not seeing him as total first choice material - which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing.

Wottons best attribute was always that he was a shouter, an organiser, and he had a hard shot. You rarely see him tackle, has no passing attributes to speak of, and we already have enough people who are 'good in the dressing room', Purse, Feeney etc

I thought Wotton did nothing outstanding at the back end of last season, and at 34 now, he'll be even slower this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Best of a bad bunch, i see on Pasoti " we wunt wotton cos eee isss a plymuffffff buyyyyyy" brigade are out in force,hearts ruling heads once again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 pm

While I understand Nalis was a better footballer, he was heavier and 2 years older than wotton is now. He was slow, yet still doing the business at a far higher level.
For me, the new CB pairing of Purse and thingy was given the cover they needed by Wotton that was not afforded to any pairing down here since Wotton was madly booted out by Sturock.
We all know he's not the keepy uppy champion of the South West, but his positional sense and covering abilities are very much underrated. He was a CB himself for many years, he understands what they need in front of them. If things don't go to plan, this is a needless point of friction waiting to happen ..... similar to that Russel loanee character unfairly getting the nod over Seip in a huge home game ....and look how all that blew up and destroyed the changing room.

Last edited by Penz on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Wotton may well get the Club Cap'n title as Romain has now vacated that role.

That should appease the local bheys! Not sure if it comes with a complimentary parking space jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
Wotton may well get the Club Cap'n title as Romain has now vacated that role.

That should appease the local bheys! Not sure if it comes with a complimentary parking space jocolor

A good compromise Arch.

I'll still be happier when we sign at least 3 more players of the right quality to take us forward.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Bad example comparing Nalis to Wotton, Penz. Polar opposites in almost every respect.

When you can see a pass 2-3 seconds before you need to make it, you don't need pace. That's why Nalis could almost literally sit in the centre-circle for 90 minutes, and still dictate a game.

For me Wotton's natural abilities always served him best as a centre-back. I never really got why someone told him he could play in midfield... scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Bad example comparing Nalis to Wotton, Penz. Polar opposites in almost every respect.

When you can see a pass 2-3 seconds before you need to make it, you don't need pace. That's why Nalis could almost literally sit in the centre-circle for 90 minutes, and still dictate a game.

For me Wotton's natural abilities always served him best as a centre-back. I never really got why someone told him he could play in midfield... scratch

I thought it was because he was a decent centre-back in Leagues 1 and 2, but was exposed for his lack of pace, and not being a giant, in the CCC. I must admit I agreed with Sturrock when he let him go for footballing reasons, even though I thought he would still be a great club captain and squad player, and start to take his coaching badges perhaps.

Last edited by Greenjock on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

In my opinion, only in their abilities Czarky. They both played the Fletcher central holding role in front of the two CBs. The only difference was Nalis had real class and could do a passable Pirlo impersonation for 30 seconds a game. But I thought Wotton made a good fist of it, and at least understands what is required of that position, if not always being able to supply the icing on the cake with his passing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

He was always a midfielder, or at best a utility player. It wasn't until Sturrock almost almost accidently discovered him and Coughlan complimented each other quite well that he became a CB, he can't head the ball so it's not something that came naturally to him. Before that Barrett, Heathcote and Taylor were the favoured option but Sturrock thought the former had a bad atitude and couldn't trust the latter pair to stay fit.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought Argyle played well last year when Wotton played well. At least in the games I saw. Far from over the hill for this league. He is still Captain material but maybe he won't get as many games as Purse this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Dougie wrote:
I thought Argyle played well last year when Wotton played well. At least in the games I saw. Far from over the hill for this league. He is still Captain material but maybe he won't get as many games as Purse this year.

If he doesn't get as many games, who on earth do we have to replace him?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Purse as captain - GOOD.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm

I just can't forget him the sight of him getting sent off last season to be able to go home over the Christmas period.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And The New Captain Is...   And The New Captain Is... Empty

Back to top Go down

And The New Captain Is...
Page 1 of 1