seadog
Chemical Ali
Nick
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

#dhsbmemories - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Nobby and Frankenstein's monster (Harrington) were the two main physics teachers when I was there. Nobby was one of the biggest assholes ever to be a teacher, its quite funny how he got sacked for sexual harassment of a female teacher. He did have it in for one of my best mates and kept telling him how he'd end up a failure.

Are first years still called 'scruffs'?

I did a spell in the old Bank in 'C' block (it was Midland at the time). I think it was something to do with Nige.

Anyone go to the Uzel hostel?

Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Vanstone, history.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I think the physics teacher when I was there was Mr P. Gibson. Physco. Or I might have got that wrong.

I also did a spell in the school bank in Block C! It was Nige, aye. Does he still drive the 84 from Tavistock at the weekend? Me and my mates went to see My Bloody Valentine with him and Graham McLeod at Exeter uni. McLeod was a star. We used to wind him up about shagging Ms Lovett (untrue, I believe).
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm

"He did have it in for one of my best mates and kept telling him how he'd end up a failure"

A Nobby never changes!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Harrington
"You can take the horse to water, but you cannot force him to drink"

clown
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Nobby and Frankenstein's monster (Harrington) were the two main physics teachers when I was there. Nobby was one of the biggest assholes ever to be a teacher, its quite funny how he got sacked for sexual harassment of a female teacher. He did have it in for one of my best mates and kept telling him how he'd end up a failure.

Are first years still called 'scruffs'?

I did a spell in the old Bank in 'C' block (it was Midland at the time). I think it was something to do with Nige.

Anyone go to the Uzel hostel?

Yep, I was one of the last groups to go to Uzel, the school recently sold the site. Was a fun week I have to say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Public took the DHS Boys for a routing in 1975.......

More than a few Devonport boys took afternoon sessions at school that day devoid of Strides and Underpants...... confused confused
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Nick wrote:
I think the physics teacher when I was there was Mr P. Gibson. Physco. Or I might have got that wrong.

I also did a spell in the school bank in Block C! It was Nige, aye. Does he still drive the 84 from Tavistock at the weekend? Me and my mates went to see My Bloody Valentine with him and Graham McLeod at Exeter uni. McLeod was a star. We used to wind him up about shagging Ms Lovett (untrue, I believe).

I had Psycho as my form tutor for the first year. He used to time himself doing the register so we'd make stupid noises to put him off- he would then start again. He also timed himself getting from the physics lab to the tutor room.

Ms Lovett apparently emigrated to Oz with her girlfriend a few years after I'd left (which backs up McLeod).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Paul Stapleton was in my year.Bob Dennerley in my house.(Grenville,blues never lose...how corny was that.) Know them both very well.Dave Felwick was in the sixth form when I was a scruff....Rick O'Shay of Fans Fest fame, is also a DHSOB...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Tref Farrow's singing voice...Plymouth's answer to Macy Grey!

I did my Music A Level at DHS for Boys. Trefor Farrow is still the most inspirational teacher I've ever encountered.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

A lovely man, John Bowden English with Henry Burrows
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Peggy wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Tref Farrow's singing voice...Plymouth's answer to Macy Grey!

I did my Music A Level at DHS for Boys. Trefor Farrow is still the most inspirational teacher I've ever encountered.
Four shore.

I don't think anyone can argue about how passionate he is about his subject. I think once the disinterested and thus disruptive kids (ie me) shunned the option in year 9 he was ace for those left over. All I did was turn the keyboards onto autosong and chilled out.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Bowden was a brilliant teacher. He'd have made a good head too I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Talking of inspirational teachers. There were a couple that I remember fondly if not their names. Mr Dickens who was a history teacher, an ex royal navy bod who talk Maths and was quite brilliant at explaining it and a young women English teacher who saw enough in my work to put it in the school magazine all responsible in a way for what interests me even today.

I was in Drake House with Nobby Clark leading it. I had a French teacher Paddy Patrick as my form tutor who drove an icecream van during the summer holidays but was a bit if a wet fish.

I dont feel old but how the world has changed since I was at school. We had to send computer coding off to the Uni to be made into punch holed cards.

When I started there was the oldest women Latin teacher in her total dotage and a biology teacher with nicotined hands and hair.

It was never really a place I enjoyed but am always grateful for the education it gave a council estate boy. And why I agree a great education and educators is one of the keys to a successful society. I totally buy into the "education education education" thing. Whether it's book learning if you like or inspired apprenticeships.

Does anyone remember being raided by Plymouth College boys who through stink bombs into the classroom and subsequently being chased by a tough nutcase of a (Welsh?) geography teacher.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Dougie wrote:
an ex royal navy bod who talk Maths and was quite brilliant at explaining it .
James?
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Dougie wrote:
an ex royal navy bod who talk Maths and was quite brilliant at explaining it .
James?

That's possible.

Also had the pleasure of an ancient PE teacher nicknamed Wilf who must have been 100 and wore a tracksuit twice that age. There was an PE teacher during my time there who had one leg and played in goal for a staff v pupils football match (unless my mind is really playing tricks). And of course the indomitable capped deputy head Mr McTavish who left to become a headmaster at a public school in High Wycombe I think. I once went potholing with him somewhere or other. In recent years he was on the tv doing something about amateur dramatics I think.

Everything becomes a bit of a blur though doesnt it after a time.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I think Wally James taught my Dad at Sutton so may not have been navy- could have been Ray? Barnett or Attewell (doubt it was the latter or Rodney).

Mental Welsh teacher was probably "Taffy" (he apparently hated that name) Evans who was deputy head. He seemed to have uncontrollable facial ticks.

Burrows' first name was Clive and he died quite young at 54 about 10 years ago.

Mr Dickens was a brilliant teacher and one of the reasons I liked history despite being shit at it.

I was at primary school and DHS with one of the Bowdens so did know his parents quite well. They still live in Peverell and Jon's Dad owns the big house opposite the kwop on Peverell corner.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Young female English teacher could have been Mrs Shaw? (she was in her late30s when I went to DHS). She went mental if you used get or got in an essay. Later had an affair, then Married Geography and Cornish Language teacher, Mr Sandercock (Gritdick)
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Plymouth Argyle related remembrance. There was a blond female biology teacher who urban legend at least said had a thing with a pupil called Mike Ham who later signed for Argyle. I was too young to understand the ins and outs of it but it could be schoolboy fantasy.

Yes Miss Shaw was the English teacher. And of course it was Taff Evans.

We should all have a 9 o'clock sing of the school song.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm

I remember Taffy standing up in assembly one morning and saying that he had received a card from (please adopt fiercely enunciated Welsh accent) "THE. CENTRAL. ELEMENT." saying that "I. HAVE. BEEN. NOMINATED."

Brilliant.

On the inspirational maths teacher, I think I know who you mean but for the life of me I can't remember his name. I do remember that he was pretty damn old when he taught me, wore specs and always blue blazer and had dark hair and smelled of tobacco, and that if it wasn't for him I'd have failed my GCSE - I was in the bottom set for those two years, I got an A grade. Jesus, why can't I remember his name?

Pam Shaw was pretty scary. French teacher Jenny Pierrepoint less so (you could always see her nipples through her dress. It made me feel very... odd... as an 11 year old when I started there). She was reputedly involved with Mr Hayman...

I always hated Bowden after he gave me a monmunental bollocking for something I didn't do.

Trev Farrow was funny. If he didn't know you cos you had no musical ability whatsover (like me), you'd give him your report card and he'd mark it one grade below what your average was for the rest of the subjects. I always got a C.

Couldn't find a video of the school song on the net. For shame. Altogether now...

TIS OF THE SCHOOL, THE HIGH WE SING,
FOR HER WE'LL SPEND BOTH STRENGTH AND BRAIN,
SO THAT WE CAN NIP OVER THE PARK AT LUNCHTIME AND HAVE A FAG OR MAYBE DRIVE UP TO DEVIL'S POINT INSTEAD...

Etc and so on
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:21 pm

The maths teacher - Mr Barnet?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Taffy Raddler, Wilf, Doc Cresswell, the ex Navy Maths was Reg Bourbon ran his boat as safety for the sailing club.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Blimey this school makes mine sound like a sea of tranquility, sweetness and light!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Mr Cox. The Maths teacher was called Mr Cox. Don't think he lasted very long but he was very very good.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Molly Morgan Geography, mmmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: #dhsbmemories   #dhsbmemories - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

#dhsbmemories
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: