The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kevin Beattie

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptyFri May 25, 2012 7:59 pm

I know times are hard for some but even in Beattie's days they were paid well!

Ex Ipswich Town player Kevin Beattie sorry for benefits 'mistake'
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:03 pm

This made me laugh:

Beattie said being forced to wear a tag was "a bit embarrassing", especially as he "always wears shorts".

He's had his problems down the years though:

Beattie sought comfort in alcohol. "I've got to be honest, you miss the attention, the adulation, if you like. Maggie and I ran a pub when we came back from Norway and you know what it's like. You start off with a few beers and when you become bloated you move on to the top shelf. It almost killed me [Beattie was actually given the last rites at the depth of his drink problem] one time when my pancreas collapsed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Keepitgreen on Fri May 25, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:04 pm

I thought he was signing for a minute...
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Really sad when you see things like this. Kevin Beattie was a great player in a great Ipswich side. For Sir Bobby Robson to say he was the best English player he managed is some accolade.

I don't think footballers back then were it came to planning for the rest of their lives once they retired from the game. It seemed the standard thing to do was to buy a pub where they drank every day recalling the glory days to anyone who would listen, while supplying their audience with free drinks to ensure they stayed. This has only one outcome.

The wages were nothing like top flight players get now, and once training was over the norm was to either go to the pub or the race track for the rest of the day.

I hope he doesn't lose his gig with the radio station, and that Ipswich might do something like a benefit game to give him a few quid to help him get by.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Block4Green wrote:

Nah,we got Peddelty and Austin instead.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySat May 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

Nah,we got Peddelty and Austin instead.

We can only dream of signings of such quality these days.
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Sir Bobby Robson shafted Argyle with that deal.How the Argyle directors agreed to that God only Knows and I'm not a beachboys fan.We got Peddelty and Austin Ipswich got Mariner.That will always wrankle with me.
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Christ don't hold a grudge oddball...........
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 1:12 am

Bobby Robson got a very good deal for his club. I'd say Robert Daniel and his board shafted the fans.
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:57 am

Coxside_Green wrote:
Bobby Robson got a very good deal for his club. I'd say Robert Daniel and his board shafted the fans.

That's what I would say as well.

Didn't Daniels buy a place in the sun just after we sold Mariner?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 1:33 pm

oddball wrote:
Sir Bobby Robson shafted Argyle with that deal.How the Argyle directors agreed to that God only Knows and I'm not a beachboys fan.We got Peddelty and Austin Ipswich got Mariner.That will always wrankle with me.

I would say that Waiters almost certainly pushed through a player exchange deal because he knew darn well that if it was a straight cash transfer he wouldn't get much of it to reinvest.Actually,Peddelty was a very good player,shame about the broken skull.Austin wasn't a bad lower division striker but not a replacement for Mariner in a million years and probably suffered because of the comparison.Still rankles with me as well,even after all these years,a big city club being shafted by a market town outfit.Says it all about our "leadership" through the years really.
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 1:39 pm

GOB wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:

You're thinking of Stapleton just after we sold Halmosi/Norris/Gosling lol!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
GOB wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:

Would that be the one in Dubai? You know the one, a long way from the sea so he didn't get a chance for a paddle because of all the work he was doing trying to save Argyle!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Greenskin wrote:
oddball wrote:

I would say that Waiters almost certainly pushed through a player exchange deal because he knew darn well that if it was a straight cash transfer he wouldn't get much of it to reinvest.Actually,Peddelty was a very good player,shame about the broken skull.Austin wasn't a bad lower division striker but not a replacement for Mariner in a million years and probably suffered because of the comparison.Still rankles with me as well,even after all these years,a big city club being shafted by a market town outfit.Says it all about our "leadership" through the years really.

Good old Greenskin. An island of sanity. How on earth have you survived on the farm all these years ?

With the Brent sahib regime handing out silly hats to the supposed local tribal leaders, we can look forward to ongoing mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Those wearing the silly hats will be as happy as pigs in sh*t, so just enjoy the ride. pig Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There you go Tring. Bet you've missed that with your self imposed exile haven't you?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:
GOB wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:

Would that be the one in Dubai? You know the one, a long way from the sea so he didn't get a chance for a paddle because of all the work he was doing trying to save Argyle!

I was thinking of the Slapton pied-a-terre, but the Dubai comparison works as well...
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

How we all long for the good old days-second tier of the football league, mariner being courted by a couple of top division clubs and a crop of youngsters who would follow him into the top flight over the next few years.

it certainly seems light years away from- yipee, three goal a season centre forward signs on for another year, staff relying on charity for their wages, a manager who'll run a marathon for the club, rather than run a speed camera, an idiot who thinks a big flag is a sign of success and fans get more worked up about what happens on the internet than on the field of play.
Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie EmptySun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Grovehill wrote:
How we all long for the good old days-second tier of the football league, mariner being courted by a couple of top division clubs and a crop of youngsters who would follow him into the top flight over the next few years.

it certainly seems light years away from- yipee, three goal a season centre forward signs on for another year, staff relying on charity for their wages, a manager who'll run a marathon for the club, rather than run a speed camera, an idiot who thinks a big flag is a sign of success and fans get more worked up about what happens on the internet than on the field of play.

Which, if it weren't true would be quite funny.

Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kevin Beattie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Beattie   Kevin Beattie Empty

Back to top Go down

Kevin Beattie
Page 1 of 1