The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Schumacher’s preseason report

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Schumacher’s preseason report Empty
PostSubject: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 11:42 am

Steven Schumacher’s first pre-season as Plymouth Argyle manager has gone as well as could reasonably have been expected.

Taking in games against local sides, Vanarama National League outfits and Sky Bet Championship opposition, performances and results have been admirable.

The build-up of fitness that pre-season is crucial for appears to have gone largely as planned, with Strength and Conditioning Coach Elliot Turner ensuring the Argyle squad are physically ready to go when the season starts on Saturday, at Home Park, against Barnsley.

“We’ve got some good fitness work in,” said Schumacher. “Elliot, it’s his first pre-season, he’s been brilliant. The lads have enjoyed it. We had a great trip to Spain. We’ve had good fixtures against two Championship teams, in which we were really tested. Then two National League teams where we’ve been quite ruthless.

“As pre-season goes, we haven’t had too many niggly injuries. We’ve managed to work on a different shape, which is another string to our bow. I feel as though we are in good shape.”

In addition, Schumacher and his staff have added five players to the unit, all of whom were on their radar previously, and who will hopefully augment a squad that came so close to reaching the play-offs last season.

“The new players we’ve recruited in the off-season have settled in perfectly,” Schumacher said. “All of the recruits we went for, we got, which I’m buzzing about.

“Having conversations with them, they seem as though they are enjoying it. Straightaway they were in with the group, a few of them have been out for meals around the city and mixed in with the players who were already here, which is what you want.

“I’m asking them if they understand the messages of what we want them to do, and they’re saying yes.

“Morgan [Whittaker] only trained with us on Friday for the first time. Thursday doesn’t count – you can’t do tactical work in the sea! He’s going to get better.

“Bali [Mumba] looks a real threat in the two games he has played, against Torquay and Yeovil. Mikkel [Miller] has been great. Butch [Matt Butcher] has settled in; he looks like he has been here for ages.

“Finn Azaz has got two goals in two games. That’s what we needed, someone scoring goals from midfield.

“I’m really pleased with all of the new recruits. We knew they were going to be good players, and they’re great lads. I couldn’t ask for much more really.”
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 11:52 am

I think the wing backs are going to be the hardest to pick two for the starting eleven from Mumba, Edwards, Miller and Grant.

Looking good from the two away games I went to this week
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 12:53 pm

I would say that
We know everything about the keepers

The 3 at the back
Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson
look more solid,
we maybe need one more if we are nursing Bolton and Galloway

Wing Backs We know about Edwards and Grant and what they offer
Mumba and Miller are exciting both are going to push the other two,

Midfield

This could be Randell's season If I was Houghton I'd be worried.

Butcher is one where he might not be mentioned too much but he's there digging away

Lewis unsure not seen a lot about him, he could be one that will struggle with the only games he will play being the pizza cup.

Azaz is going to be pushing Mayor for that spot in the team.
Mayor still has the problem of most of the time taking too many touches then losing the ball,

Upfront
Whittaker we have to see what he's like once he's had chance to get used to how we play.

Then we have the other 3, I'm not sure 1 upfront works apart from Ennis who at Torquay seemed to be able to help with 3 of the goals.

But personally, I'd go with 2,1 being Jephcott for his poaching and another of Ennis Whittaker Hardie.

We can hold on to the ball we just don't seem to know how to finish it.
We are still frustrating to watch.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 12:57 pm

TBF the new lads all look decent but it seems to have slipped Schueys mind that he is still after a striker,
“The new players we’ve recruited in the off-season have settled in perfectly,” Schumacher said. “All of the recruits we went for, we got, which I’m buzzing about."
Despite getting five in we haven't got a bigger squad than last year and we haven't addressed the strength in depth options at the front ie an actual striker and with that I think we would be genuinely stronger than last season, hey ho fingers crossed that all our scorers stay fit all season.
Back to top Go down
Savageandstrand

Savageandstrand

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 1:01 pm

Really dont want to see Houghton and Grant start next week
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
TBF the new lads all look decent but it seems to have slipped Schueys mind that he is still after a striker,
“The new players we’ve recruited in the off-season have settled in perfectly,” Schumacher said. “All of the recruits we went for, we got, which I’m buzzing about."
Despite getting five in we haven't got a bigger squad than last year and we haven't addressed the strength in depth options at the front ie an actual striker and with that I think we would be genuinely stronger than last season, hey ho fingers crossed that all our scorers stay fit all season.

Yeah that's the bit he seems to struggle with,

Mean to me yesterday Hardie didn't look comfortable on his own up top.

If he's got all that he wants maybe one of the other choices on the list would be nice to pick up, he says he has the money too.

5 forwards for 2 places would be a nice position to be in.

who knows but its what we are missing is that final link up front.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 3:32 pm

Savageandstrand wrote:

Why not, particularly Grant? Excellent left sided midfielder, gets goals arriving from deep positions, links well with the wing backs and inside midfielders-all in all, a pretty darned good player for league 1.He was certainly missed towards the end of last season.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Savageandstrand wrote:

Why not, particularly Grant? Excellent left sided midfielder, gets goals arriving from deep positions, links well with the wing backs and inside midfielders-all in all, a pretty darned good player for league 1.He was certainly missed towards the end of last season.

Houghtons banned anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 6:00 pm

I think we’ve recruited well and I don’t think we’re done yet but anything less than a play off spot and the season will be a failure for me.
I think we’re going to have a good season
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher’s preseason report   Schumacher’s preseason report Empty

Back to top Go down

Schumacher’s preseason report
Page 1 of 1