akagreengull
Punchdrunk
Earwegoagain
Chemical Ali
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
PlymouthCasual wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
PlymouthCasual wrote:
Which is why the GT's deserve all of the plaudits they get in my opinion. Never understood the displeasure towards them from a small group of people.

I accept what you are saying but you have to remember how much shite we (the Brent haters) got from certain factions of the fanbase. The GTs firmly sided with Nool and Brent and at no time tried to stay impartial. All I can say is that where the Gts and ATD are concerned the feeling is entirely mutual.

Fair shout. Thinking about it, they could have came out and said anything they wanted about the club, there was no way on Earth that the goggle eyed skint boy was ever going to take away his free cash cow when they were doing such a good job at reducing his debt. Personally im glad they prosperred, even if some of their dealings were slightly suspicious to say the least.

There is a lot good to say about them I'm not denying that, load of people got off their arses and actually did things in fact I've often wondered that despite Nools claims Brent was the only option the Gts could easily have achieved what he did and Tbf don't have the personal attributes of Bent ie being a selfish self serving parasite.

The funny thing is that the GT's weren't particular enamoured of Nool either.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 pm

I think Brent's reputation as a Big City Banker/ Old Etonian helped convince the Council and others to charge us next to nothing and allow the club to survive. I don't think he put any of his own money into the club, and certainly profitted from it. Others could have done the same, but wouldn't have got the Webb/ Nool seal of approval so would have faced hostility (e.g. Posty's preferred option in Buttivant).

There's a fairly good analogy on p'bay about Brent being the paramedic that initially kept the club alive, but Hallett being the doctor that makes sure we survive and prosper.

Certainly, in some areas, the club seems a lot more professional especially with the appointments of the Scouse mafia (Parkinson, Lowe, Dewsnip etc). Trevor East (I think he's called) could possibly generate more income through his media contacts. Brent seemed to bring in mates, cheap options (e.g. Jon Back as Club Secretary despite no experience) or appointments that looked good, but brought nothing to Argyle (e.g. the 2 female directors).
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 5:55 pm

Simon has put millions of his own money into the club, how many millions did our saviour walk away with?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:

There's a fairly good analogy on p'bay about Brent being the paramedic that initially kept the club alive, but Hallett being the doctor that makes sure we survive and prosper.

What the analogy didn't mention is that the paramedic took the patient's wallet (the carpark) and kept it for himself.

...only to return half its contents many years later, after the patient had coughed up some money!

What a hero!
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Paramedic or ambulance chaser?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Rickler wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Thumbs

What the analogy didn't mention is that the paramedic took the patient's wallet (the carpark) and kept it for himself.

...only to return half its contents many years later, after the patient had coughed up some money!

What a hero!
Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Rather a long winded way of saying "The gates we are getting are better than most Clubs in the bottom two tiers and better than one or two in the Championship, so we should give it a go!"

But then, I can remember Staplewallet saying "if we are there or thereabouts at the end of the year, we'll go for it" in reference to trying to get into the Premiership. Sadly this turned out to be more like "Stuff giving the Manager any money, lets flog anyone we can get a fee for" which in turn became "So we got £5 million in transfer fees and spunked it up against the wall, I don't give a shit, I'm off to Dubai"

I cannot believe you are comparing Stapleton to Hallett, Total false equivalence.

Stapleton bought his shares for next to bugger all and squatted like a toad whilst the ground was rebuilt using someone elses money and the club rose through the leagues under a manager he didn't appoint. He stared at his feet whilst a fellow director wrote out a personal cheque to MacCauley when he was threatening to derail it unless he got his money.  He then refused to piss off when it was patently obvious that he was out of his league financially only to sell up at huge financial gain to himself rather than the club, to someone on false premises who wasn't the slightest bit interested in the football.

The club is far from perfect under Hallett, the increase in the upstairs/downstairs feel to the club as Ears sagely put it is off putting and frustrating and quite why he perservered with Brents Mankover when it was clearly not fit for purpose I do not know. The big difference however is unlike Brent or Staplewallet he has paid for these things out of his own pocket, loans which he then converted to shares. He is subbing the clubs losses out of his own pocket. Yet bizarrely despite all he's doing he doesn't attract anywhere near the adoration of James Brent, even to the extent of that fucknugget Ollie Arsehole wanting him to give it back to him,

I'm comparing promises/statements of intent from current and past PAFC Chairmen, to point out to our younger readers that what is said hasn't/might not come to fruition. It's called learning from history Hallett. has made a similar start to Dan MacCauley-crowd pleasing managerial appointment, plenty of dosh being thrown around etc. But I can remember the last time I bought the Sun-to read that little creep's hatchet job on the guy who was at the time (whatever you think of him) the Club's Manager.

Having been a follower of Argyle for about 50 years probably explains why some people see as a miserable, negative old git. It's called "experience"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 pm

I’m also at the 50+year sentence - I suppose I can grasp at another straw. Being 100 miles away it’s got easier to use that as an excuse not to go but would say we really need to go up this season and consolidate in div 1 for a couple. Hope it all works out chaps!!
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 pm

I looked on PASOTI recently seen a thread about Simon Walton and although that is nothing to do with the Chairmancy it does highlight at just how the farmyard animals (Brent types) still to this day revel in that dark period of the clubs history as if they actually enjoyed being shit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 12:31 am

Punchdrunk wrote:
I looked on PASOTI recently seen a thread about Simon Walton and although that is nothing to do with the Chairmancy it does highlight at just how the farmyard animals (Brent types) still to this day revel in that dark period of the clubs history as if they actually enjoyed being shit.

He makes some nice comments about the club, but also indicates that Stapes and co were a bit clueless (although nice people). He said that he had a 10% salary increase year on year for each of the 4 years of his contract, when we signed him he'd just recovered from a serious injury and had no medical (which he found unbelievable). Described Luggy as horrible and evil- luggy apparently threatened him that if he didn't make a loan move, Luggy "would get him and his family". Also mentioned that Luggy fell out with Stack and Puncheon but didn;t go into detail. Said he was blamed by many for administration and he can understand why, but he was offered the contract by the board- said it was very unusual not to have relegation salary reduction clauses.

He was loaned two lots of £5k by the PFA when not paid, and gave it all to the staff. In his 4th year (in League 2) he would have been on more money than when he signed (in the Championship)- but agreed to more than a 50% wage cut to help Brent's takeover to happen. Said that the business model was all wrong (in the championship), with Paul Gallagher, Mpenza, 2 Scottish players and others on ridiculous amounts that the club couldn't afford. He said he could have moved to Swindon during his second year - they offered £150k, Argyle demanded £200k- he would have been on less money at Swindon but the board thought that he had "beaten" them if they allowed him to move- he stayed and said he was rarely playing and was on more money.

He said in his 4th season where he was captain and top scorer with 12 goals, that he'd never experienced such a closeness between the fans and team. He had 5 players staying at his flat at one point as they couldn't afford to rent anywhere.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 1:51 am

Feck ''SUSTAINABLE' i want us to be competitive....
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 2:47 am

PatDunne wrote:
Feck ''SUSTAINABLE' i want us to be competitive....

Absolutely.
Is anyone else finding it hard to believe that a club in the bottom tier but with gates averaging over 10,000 is still losing money week on week
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 8:46 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

He makes some nice comments about the club, but also indicates that Stapes and co were a bit clueless (although nice people). He said that he had a 10% salary increase year on year for each of the 4 years of his contract, when we signed him he'd just recovered from a serious injury and had no medical (which he found unbelievable). Described Luggy as horrible and evil- luggy apparently threatened him that if he didn't make a loan move, Luggy "would get him and his family". Also mentioned that Luggy fell out with Stack and Puncheon but didn;t go into detail. Said he was blamed by many for administration and he can understand why, but he was offered the contract by the board- said it was very unusual not to have relegation salary reduction clauses.

He was loaned two lots of £5k by the PFA when not paid, and gave it all to the staff. In his 4th year (in League 2) he would have been on more money than when he signed (in the Championship)- but agreed to more than a 50% wage cut to help Brent's takeover to happen. Said that the business model was all wrong (in the championship), with Paul Gallagher, Mpenza, 2 Scottish players and others on ridiculous amounts that the club couldn't afford. He said he could have moved to Swindon during his second year - they offered £150k, Argyle demanded £200k- he would have been on less money at Swindon but the board thought that he had "beaten" them if they allowed him to move- he stayed and said he was rarely playing and was on more money.

He said in his 4th season where he was captain and top scorer with 12 goals, that he'd never experienced such a closeness between the fans and team. He had 5 players staying at his flat at one point as they couldn't afford to rent anywhere.

Its all very credible as he doesn't have much reason to make any of that up.

One of the key differences between Stapleton, Brent and Hallett is that Hallett as quickly as possible put solid football knowledge into the every level of the club. A particular story I was told once highlights how clueless Stapleton was.

When Sturrock left us in the lurch to end up completely out of his depth at Southampton, the board were in a bit of a quandary. They'd got as far as they had with a manager that was appointed by someone else and only then as a result of a particularly enthusiastic recommendation from David Byrne, they ended up appointing Bobby Williamson on the old mans recommendation but he apparently gave a very good interview. Before that however they were interested in Colin Lee, so they approached Walsall if they could talk to him.

The person who told me the story said, you simply DO NOT ask a club for permission to talk to someone until you've met your target in a holiday inn meeting room of the M5 and shook hands on a deal. Yoou talk to that club about compensation, that's it. Unbelievable naivety.

So as a result Lee was sacked out of spite and ended up jobless thanks to Stapes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:11 am

Im not questioning simon walton's bravery here but if a broken down wreck with parkinsons scares him i wuestion his bravery.
Back to top Go down
PlymouthCasual

PlymouthCasual

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

Just seeing StapleCu*t's name mentioned on here fills me with anger. The bloke absolutely destroyed the club and then claimed that he had no idea that we were in that much shit financially, ummm whats your profession again Paul? Stapleton should have been hounded out of the city but us Janners are a soft touch!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

One of the key differences between Stapleton, Brent and Hallett is that Hallett as quickly as possible put solid football knowledge into the every level of the club. A particular story I was told once highlights how clueless Stapleton was.

When Sturrock left us in the lurch to end up completely out of his depth at Southampton, the board were in a bit of a quandary. They'd got as far as they had with a manager that was appointed by someone else and only then as a result of a particularly enthusiastic recommendation from David Byrne, they ended up appointing Bobby Williamson on the old mans recommendation but he apparently gave a very good interview. Before that however they were interested in Colin Lee, so they approached Walsall if they could talk to him.

The person who told me the story said, you simply DO NOT ask a club for permission to talk to someone until you've met your target in a holiday inn meeting room of the M5 and shook hands on a deal. Yoou talk to that club about compensation, that's it. Unbelievable naivety.

So as a result Lee was sacked out of spite and ended up jobless thanks to Stapes

I never begrudged Sturrock taking the Southampton job as it was a bigger club and the premiership i questioned why with only 10 games left why he couldnt take over in the summer as southampton were not in any danger of going down or breaking into europe yet we were challenging for promotion, he may have had a longer stint in charge there if he did that maybe the players and staff wouldn't have complained like they did to get him out after upsetting them during the last few games of that season he took charge. Staplewallet should have protected the club better than making sure his mate got what he wanted and rupert lowe got his way when even he wasnt expecting luggy to join that close to the end of the season.

OH And lets not forget Pulis tried a few times to plan for the following season while he was with us but staplewallet was more interested in curry nights with Luggy when the team where in sheffield for a game and luckliy for tony his mate took over stoke and brought him back there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:53 am

Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

I never begrudged Sturrock taking the Southampton job as it was a bigger club and the premiership i questioned why with only 10 games left why he couldnt take over in the summer as southampton were not in any danger of going down or breaking into europe yet we were challenging for promotion, he may have had a longer stint in charge there if he did that maybe the players and staff wouldn't have complained like they did to get him out after upsetting them during the last few games of that season he took charge. Staplewallet should have protected the club better than.

OH And lets not forget Pulis tried a few times to plan for the following season while he was with us but staplewallet was more interested in curry nights with Luggy when the team where in sheffield for a game and luckliy for tony his mate took over stoke and brought him back there.

Not only that but Stapleton would run certain things past his old mate before agreeing to them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:59 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

I never begrudged Sturrock taking the Southampton job as it was a bigger club and the premiership i questioned why with only 10 games left why he couldnt take over in the summer as southampton were not in any danger of going down or breaking into europe yet we were challenging for promotion, he may have had a longer stint in charge there if he did that maybe the players and staff wouldn't have complained like they did to get him out after upsetting them during the last few games of that season he took charge. Staplewallet should have protected the club better than.

Not only that but Stapleton would run certain things past his old mate before agreeing to them

yeap both Pulis, Williamson and Holloway all commented on this fact and how they felt undermined by the chairman's relationship with luggy when they werent so welcoming to them also how some fans kept calling for sturrock to come back no matter how well they were doing at the time or not. Luggy V1.0 maybe our greatest ever manager but was a pisstaker  changing our away colours to be dundee utd's, skipping games to go on scouting missions yet never signed anyone of those players,
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 7:33 pm

But roll back the clock and Stapleton and Luggy were seen as the best thing since Sonny & Cher when they took the Club to the top of League 1.

Which is why I'm a bit cautious about the Hallett and Lowe show.

I'd say once bitten twice shy but as Bandwagon will confirm, there's been a lot of biting at Home Park over the years!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Grovehill wrote:
But roll back the clock and Stapleton and Luggy were seen as the best thing since Sonny & Cher when they took the Club to the top of League 1.

Which is why I'm a bit cautious about the Hallett and Lowe show.

I'd say once bitten twice shy but as Bandwagon will confirm, there's been a lot of biting at Home Park over the years!

luggy certainly yes maybe stapleton and board at the time too but for me i never liked stapleton he always struck me as someone who had no clue what he was doing and in fact sturrock was running the club not him.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

Funnily enough, I've just been reading Peter Crouch's book where he refers to his time at Soton when Luggy was Manager. Luggy would say something, listen to an assistant then change his mind and go with what the assistant said, which totally weakened him in the eyes of the players.
I believe Stack (ex Arsenal keeper) called Luggy a "pub team" manager in reference to his (lack of) tactical abilities. Puncheon was recalled from a loan, played a half against Cardiff then sent out on loan again! It's a credit to the player that after being treated like that, he made his mark in the Premier League. As for signing a player without him having a medical, I'd like to say the Club has moved on, but the Aimson situation, the lad recovering from cancer being told to play against medical advice and the player with undiagnosed  diabetes, does worry me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

Funnily enough, I've just been reading Peter Crouch's book where he refers to his time at Soton when Luggy was Manager. Luggy would say something, listen to an assistant then change his mind and go with what the assistant said, which totally weakened him in the eyes of the players.
I believe Stack (ex Arsenal keeper) called Luggy a "pub team" manager in reference to his (lack of) tactical abilities. Puncheon was recalled from a loan, played a half against Cardiff then sent out on loan again! It's a credit to the player that after being treated like that, he made his mark in the Premier League. As for signing a player without him having a medical, I'd like to say the Club has moved on, but the Aimson situation, the lad recovering from cancer being told to play against medical advice and the player with undiagnosed  diabetes, does worry me.

who was that?
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am

Punchdrunk wrote:

as for Walton he done alright out of the admin if I can remember the position we were in and he still wrangled himself a extra year on his contract that would have been payed once the admin was sorted
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm

My best mate, whom I sit with at every game, was very well connected through work to a Swansea director during their climb towards the top league. Whenever Argyle played at the Liberty he was invited as a guest of the Swansea board and always tells me that while the Swansea lot came across as dynamic and forward thinking, the Argyle bunch, Stapleton especially, came across as rank amateurs in comparison and completely out of place and out of their depth. The Swansea lot certainly weren't impressed and ultimately it was shown on the pitch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

as for Walton he done alright out of the admin if I can remember the position we were in and he still wrangled himself a extra year on his contract that would have been payed once the admin was sorted

To be fair to the guy he was well within his rights to make argyle honour his contract and monies owned i believe he was on a 4 year contract so he had one year left in anycase come admin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks   5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

5 year plan of action- The chairman speaks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2