seadog
Mook
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

So then, Saturday - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Midfielder David Fox, Argyle’s senior professional at the age of 35, understands the supporters’ frustration but he has insisted the players do care about the club.

Fox told Plymouth Live: “You don’t make it to this level in football if you don’t care, if you are not passionate about your job, if you don’t care about the clubs you play for.

“I have got lots of friends that I started out with, and I have met along the years, that didn’t care about football and they didn’t stay in it.

“You don’t get to the third level of English football if you don’t care. Of course, it doesn’t look good when you are getting beat but there are lots of things that go into it.”

Argyle are faced with the prospect of a relegation decider against Scunthorpe United at Home Park on Saturday (5.30pm).

At least one of the clubs, and possibly both, will drop down into League Two depending on the result of their match, as well as those involving AFC Wimbledon, Southend United and Walsall.

Argyle could stay up with a draw against Scunthorpe, but a win would give them a much better chance, although it would still not be in their own control.

Fox said: “Ultimately, I can talk all I want but you have got to produce. You have got to talk with your actions more than anything.

“We have got to show in our actions that we are together, united and we can get a result.”

Home Park will be sold-out for Argyle’s season finale, with the Green Army even taking up much of the Barn Park End, including seats often reserved for away fans.

Fox said: “The fans have been right behind the boys for the whole time I have been at this club.

“They have always been behind the players, but it’s up to the players to give them something to shout about.

“When we are playing well and when we are on top, it’s great, but it’s up to us to do that.

“I know full well they will be right behind the boys at the start of the game. The atmosphere will be brilliant, but then we have got to produce.

“We have got to give the fans hope and belief that the lads on the pitch are going to get a result.

“We know that as players. That’s what we have got to do and we have got to feed off each other.”

He added: “Everyone knows what’s at stake and everyone knows what we need to do.

“We have unfortunately got ourselves into a position where it comes down to one game, but we are still in with a shout.

“It’s important we take everything we have got and leave it on the pitch.”

Fox was signed for Argyle by Adams in the summer of 2016 and has gone on to make a total of 140 appearances.

He is soon to be out-of-contract so this could be his last game for the Pilgrims.

Fox said: “Personally, I have got a lot to thank the manager for. He brought me to this club, like he did everyone.

“So, from that point of view, I have got a lot of thanks to give to him and to Paul Wotton (who also lost his job as assistant manager).

“I have played a lot of games here. I have been picked to play here, and for that I will always be grateful.

“I will always be thankful that I have been given the opportunity to play for this club, and it was because of him (Adams).

“It’s always a difficult time when a manager leaves and it’s the same here.”

Following the departure of Adams and Wotton, coach Kevin Nancekivell has been handed the responsibility of taking charge of the team against Scunthorpe.

Fox said: “He’s full of enthusiasm and full of positivity, and that’s what he has tried to do this week.

“He understands the situation. He knows he has got to look after the team for one game and try and get a result.

“Everything has been kept along a similar path. He’s trying to keep the spirits high and keep some positivity around the place, and he’s good at that.”

The Green Army will not only be watching Argyle on the pitch, they will also be listening out and checking on social media for score updates from the games involving AFC Wimbledon, Southend and Walsall.

Fox said: “It’s never easy when you are relying on other people, but we have got do a job.

“We have known for the last six, seven, eight weeks we needed to do a job, and we haven’t. You can’t keep looking at other things.

“We have not done well enough in the last few weeks and put ourselves in this situation.

“We need to win. We have not done that for long enough and we have not done that enough.

“So it’s all about us really, and what will happen will happen.

“It will take care of itself, but first and foremost we have got to get a win ourselves,” added the midfielder.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 1:48 pm

"What will happen will happen", indeed David.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Jesus, I don't know how it will finally pan out tomorrow evening, put Argyle down for a home win in the competition and will stick with that.

It is too close to call for Bradford v AFC, Southend v Sunderland. Not too bothered about Shrewsbury v Walsall as I think Walsall are down.

As shit as Argyle have been for the majority of the season, I hope that they do pull it off and stay up but, I am half resigned to the fact relegation is nailed on.

The outcome I am hoping for is that Argyle beat Scunny 2-1, while Bradford and Sunderland both win, or Sunderland draw with Southend.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 6:00 pm

I really don't think Sunderland will beat Southend.  In fact I predict a narrow win for the Shrimpers.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm

I'm sure Sunderland will beat Southend will they feck rest anyone they will want to keep momentum up for the playoffs. Sadly I think well also lose to Scunny and end up down anyway.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Phoneys will lose, Southend will draw, Walsall will lose...... We will probably win late on.
Back to top Go down
Jon L

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Sorry to hijack (please split out Mods if you can) but I have a couple of tickets in Block 19 available if anyone wants them at face value.

After a bit of a cock up on how many of us were going (started 2, then 4, has ended at 3!), one of us bought 2 tickets on Monday and then got 4 together on Tuesday after Argyle promised to take the 2 back if he couldn't sell them on himself (remember carer-gate anyone??). However today they refused to buy them back on the grounds it isn't sold out yet (despite their press releases!). Told to try and return them in the morning and they would take them only if sold out. So long and short is 2 seats available together, Block 19 Row J.

Message me if interested, I'm not expecting a rush!
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Has 0-0 written all over it.
Back to top Go down
Yea Man

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 10:49 pm

I think we'll win comfortably and Southend will lose.
Back to top Go down
Jon L

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Sorry again guys.... unbelievably tickets have sold, thought we would never shift them so late in the day but there you go.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 6:36 am

Yea Man wrote:
I think we'll win comfortably and Southend will lose.

I think we'll win and Southend will draw with safety achieved. If Adams was still in charge would have no confidence but suspect we'll do the bizzo nicely today
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 7:50 am

Southend will narrowly beat Sunderland and it's nailed on AFCW will comfortably beat Bradford.  Some confidence on here that we're good enough to scrape a win against Scunthorpe.  I really don't think we are.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 8:23 am

Well we will all know the accuracy of our predictions come 7.15pm. Another shocking example of how the EFL don't give a flying feck about the average footie fan, staging the L1 last game of the season at 5.30.

COYG cheers
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 8:47 am

I think we will possibly win but go down, then for the next six years it will be year on year progress in Brents Basement league, at twenty six quid a pop for those who like shit football and have to much money.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 11:08 am

Today is the day for this magnificent team to show how much Adams was holding hem back from playing their expansive and attacking Barca like football.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 11:12 am

We're down.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 12:01 pm

I can see us winning today ..but it won’t be enough a little to late im afraid were down
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Last game of the season, so much depends on whether teams have anything to play for. Safe teams will usually blood a few youngsters Will Sunderland be going for it today, or saving themselves for the play-offs. I wouldn't discount Walsall getting a result either. If Argyle put on a performance today, it'll confirm Adams had "lost the dressing room"

KN might well spring a surprise with tactics or selection.  

By 5pm we'll know if we want a Manager to get us out of the bottom Division or to get us into the Championship. Can't see Ollie wanting to be in the bottom Division. But if we're one promotion from the Championship, we should be looking for a Manager experienced at that level.

For me it's Ollie if we stay up, Hargreaves and/or Daryl Clarke if we go down.
Next Manager will tell us all we need to know about Hallett's ambition for the Club
Edited to add: But anyone but Warnock were ever we end up
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 2:16 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Well we will all know the accuracy of our predictions come 7.15pm. Another shocking example of how the EFL don't give a flying feck about the average footie fan, staging the L1 last game of the season at 5.30.

COYG cheers

1730 ko on their insistence but can only show one game.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Yep, they don't seemingly give a toss mate for the fanz.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Driving through Mutley at about 12ish there were plenty of fans in and around the bars. Going to be lots of pissed people at all the matches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 3:28 pm

lets do this the great war mark 2 this week begins in 2 hours......

Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Well if you live in devon and cornwll you are fine getting back from the game on public transport
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Coach Kevin Nancekivell has told the Green Army they will see ‘passion, energy and enthusiasm’ from Plymouth Argyle in their League One relegation decider.

The 21st-placed Pilgrims will take on Scunthorpe United, who are 23rd, at a sold-out Home Park today (5.30pm).

At least one of the clubs will be relegated, and it could be both, depending on the result of their match and others elsewhere.

Nancekivell is taking charge of Argyle after the departures of manager Derek Adams and assistant boss Paul Wotton on Sunday.

The 47-year-old had this message for the Green Army when he spoke to Plymouth Live.

Nancekivell said: “Thank you ever so much for sticking with us this season. It has been a difficult time but we need you for one massive, big effort.

“We need you to stay with us from the first minute until the final whistle when we walk off the pitch.

“I can guarantee and promise you that the boys will be running their hearts out for that duration as well.

As long as we all stick together I’m sure we will be fine.”

Argyle have lost their last five games, which led to the exits of Adams and Wotton after the 5-1 drubbing away to Accrington Stanley last Saturday.

However, Nancekivell believes the Pilgrims have the ability to get the result they need against Scunthorpe.

Nancekivell said: “We have got a squad of good players, which isn’t reflected in our league position. I really believe that.

“There are not going to be massive changes because I believe and trust in these players to get us out of the position we are in, and I’m sure they will.”

Adams and Wotton paid the price for Argyle’s dreadful run of results with their jobs, but the players have not escaped fans’ criticism, and some of it has been very fierce.

Nancekivell said: “They are good people. They are good human beings who really care about this football club.

“They have been hurting ever since that (the thrashing at Accrington) and they are desperate to put right everything that has gone wrong this season.”

Argyle won 4-1 away to Scunthorpe in October, which turned out to be one of only four victories on the road for them in League One this term.

Scunthorpe, who were beaten play-off semi-finalists in 2017/18, have picked up just two points from their last eight games.

Nancekivell said: “They had a fantastic season last year so they are going to be disappointed and hurting that they are in the position they are, which they probably didn’t expect to be.

“So we know they are going to come down, fighting and scrapping for their lives as well.

“They have got some good players so we know we need to be on our game to get anything from it.”

On May 1, 2018, Argyle lost 2-0 away to Scunthorpe in what was effectively a play-off decider.

Now, the same sides are meeting again, this time at Home Park, in another match with major implications for both of them.

Nancekivell said: “That’s football. Twelve months ago you would never have envisaged this would have happened, but it has.

“It has been a very strange season in League One, where everyone has been really tight from top to bottom.

“We have got one game left and we know what we have got to do. We have just got to make sure we give everything we have got to get what we need.”

Argyle and Scunthorpe are two of the five teams battling to avoid the three remaining relegation slots.

So the Green Army will be looking out for the results of AFC Wimbledon at Bradford City, Southend United at home to Sunderland, and Walsall away to Shrewsbury Town.

Scores from those games are sure to filter through to Home Park very speedily.

Nancekivell said: “I’m sure the crowd are going to let us know what’s going on elsewhere.

“We have got to just try and focus on what we are doing and not let that interrupt how our game is going and what we are doing.”
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm

We may be staying up!
Just came into the Cider bar for a cherry cooler, and picked blind a straw out of a box of about 200 odd of different colours, saying if I pick a green straw Argo will not be relegated today.
I picked a GREEN straw.
That's good enough for me.
geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So then, Saturday   So then, Saturday - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So then, Saturday
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next