Rickler
#SHITARTIST
Jethro
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Edwards was ordered to take a break from football Empty
PostSubject: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Plymouth Argyle defender Ryan Edwards has revealed he was told to take a break from football by doctors.

Edwards has started the last three games for the Pilgrims after a spell out of the side since October.

The 25-year-old returned to action at the start of this season following successful treatment for testicular cancer.

Edwards scored on the opening day of the campaign, in Argyle’s 2-1 defeat away to Walsall, but his form soon took a dip.

He was eventually ordered to take time off training and rest after some medical checks.

Edwards said: “I was warned by the hospital at the time that the chemotherapy could have an effect eight to 10 months down the line.

“I just took no notice. I put myself straight in the deep end to get back fit.

“I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I wanted to get back as quick as possible, but I have paid the price a bit.

“That’s no excuse to how I did perform at the start of the season. Definitely no excuse, because I thought I was ready.

“I still think I was ready. Just looking back now they said I could have over-done it, but I wouldn’t have changed it. I want to play football.

“If the same thing happened to me this year, I would still do the same. I would play on.”

Edwards made his first start since October when Argyle lost 2-1 away to AFC Wimbledon on Boxing Day.

He also subsequently played in the 1-1 draw at Burton Albion and the 3-0 victory over Oxford United at Home Park on New Year’s Day

Edwards said: “I feel better now. I had the time off with the illness recently, and it had to be done.

“The hospital over-ruled the club’s decision, my decision and the club physio’s decision.

“There was nothing I could have done, so I have had to go home and rest and recharge, and that’s what I have done. I have come back now and I feel good.”

Argyle have struggled defensively all season, conceding a number of very poor goals from their perspective, and Edwards has received his share of criticism along the way.

Edwards said: “I have come in for stick but I know what I can do, and I know I will turn it around.

“I will give everything I can. I know how I can perform and that’s what I will keep trying to do.

“No-one goes out there wanting to make mistakes or wanting to play bad. Everyone here wants to play well and drive Plymouth up the table.”
Back to top Go down
#SHITARTIST

#SHITARTIST

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm

surprised he aint received a white feather for dereliction of duties.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Yet another example, and in this case another serving player, of the club ignoring the best medical advice. Unless they think the club physio and the director of football know more about oncology than the NHS cancer consultants.
Something really worrying about this present regime's cavalier attitude toward "unfit players" as noted by Reid, De Loeke, Taylor and now Edwards, and that's just the ones who have talked about it in public. Quite disturbing.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm

beesrus wrote:
Yet another example, and in this case another serving player, of the club ignoring the best medical advice. Unless they think the club physio and the director of football know more about oncology than the NHS cancer consultants.
Something really worrying about this present regime's cavalier attitude toward "unfit players" as noted by Reid, De Loeke, Taylor and now Edwards, and that's just the ones who have talked about it in public. Quite disturbing.  

He was eventually ordered to take time off training and rest after some medical checks.
Edwards said: “I was warned by the hospital at the time that the chemotherapy could have an effect eight to 10 months down the line.

“I just took no notice. I put myself straight in the deep end to get back fit.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:51 pm

“The hospital over-ruled the club’s decision, my decision and the club physio’s decision.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 pm

If the same thing happened to me this year, I would still do the same. I would play on.”

Last edited by Rickler on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Patients are always desperate to get back to work. It's the responsibility of ALL employers to look after the health of their employees, and take the best possible expert advice, even if that goes against the employee's thoughts . That'll be the NHS consultant. They failed to do this. The club advice was clearly wrong.
Reminds me when employers in the 70/80s started employing their own quacks to refute the opinion of outside medical doctors representing the best interests of their patients, and nothing else. This is exactly what the ex keeper and Reid were complaining about.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 7:59 pm

I was really pleased to see him getting back to some semblance of his previous form yesterday. He's definitely one that can cut it at this level. Having been through a chemo regime through July and August I can certainly confirm I suffered fatigue to a level that astounded me, and it lasts a good while.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
I was really pleased to see him getting back to some semblance of his previous form yesterday. He's definitely one that can cut it at this level. Having been through a chemo regime through July and August I can certainly confirm I suffered fatigue to a level that astounded me, and it lasts a good while.

Agreed Charlie,he played very well on Saturday and it was heartening to see him regain some of last years form.Didn't know about your own treatment-hope it went well and good to see you back posting on here.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Charlie but good to hear from you again!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Yes indeed. Chemo is a horror, and patients, even more so, young patients, need to be saved from themselves and held back, even against their own wishes at the time.
Back to top Go down
Yea Man

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 8:31 pm

A young footballer in his prime years is going to be itching to get on and play. The hospital did the right thing I think.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 pm

I must agree you should follows doctors orders and not what your employers say. Good to see him back we need him so much.

Ive not had chemo but i have had a serious illness which nearly finished me off a few years ago and you really really do need to rest and rebuild after one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm

beesrus wrote:
Patients are always desperate to get back to work. It's the responsibility of ALL employers to look after the health of their employees, and take the best possible expert advice, even if that goes against the employee's thoughts . That'll be the NHS consultant. They failed to do this. The club advice was clearly wrong.
Reminds me when employers in the 70/80s started employing their own quacks to refute the opinion of outside medical doctors representing the best interests of their patients, and nothing else. This is exactly what the ex keeper and Reid were complaining about.

Nothing’s changed with employers, in fact from my experience it’s worse, “Managing for Attendance” it was called in my last company and the pressure, albeit initially soft and indirect being applied to get employees back to work is far greater now than it ever was.
Here we have a young fit man whose adrenalin is high and feeling pretty good after beating cancer naturally wanting to play, I don’t figure in this instance there should be any blame as such laid at anyone’s door.
Ryan now has hindsight and no doubt in future will be taking cognisance of his consultants advice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 9:45 pm

I agree with most of that Gaffer, and sadly of course it has now spread to the DWP of all places. I would add I hope it has taught the club a valuable lesson about how they treat employees health requirements in future. In the end all of us can make a mistake. The aim is not to make the same mistake in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edwards was ordered to take a break from football   Edwards was ordered to take a break from football Empty

Back to top Go down

Edwards was ordered to take a break from football
Page 1 of 1