HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cryptic Crosswords

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 pm

My current job gives me rather a lot of time between working, the time difference means that there is little 'going on' on here and other places I frequent, so I have taken to attempting the Grauniad's cryptic crossword daily.

The problem, and there is always a problem, is that I'm not too intelligent and most days struggle to get much more than a handful of answers. I appreciate, like most things, practise will increase my capabilities, and I am beginning to understand some of the 'rules', but there is a hefty amount to take in, and I am simultaneously trying to use the internet to learn a new Russian phrase every day.

Any other fans? Any advice?

cat
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chemical Ali

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 am

Fill in as many swear words as you can or play swearing countdown.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am

learn a new Russian phrase every two days?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 am

Mock, what does this mean-

Свиньи являются лжецами
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:35 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
My current job gives me rather a lot of time between working, the time difference means that there is little 'going on' on here and other places I frequent, so I have taken to attempting the Grauniad's cryptic crossword daily.

The problem, and there is always a problem, is that I'm not too intelligent and most days struggle to get much more than a handful of answers. I appreciate, like most things, practise will increase my capabilities, and I am beginning to understand some of the 'rules', but there is a hefty amount to take in, and I am simultaneously trying to use the internet to learn a new Russian phrase every day.

Any other fans? Any advice?

cat

The Guardian crossword is tough because they have a different compiler every day. Try the Telegraph one. They stick to the same compiler and it is far easier.

Look out for words like "mixed" because they indicate an anagram.

When you spot an anagram separate the vowels and consonants so that they do not look like the words you started with.

There is often a clue where an answer is given by letters from words that run into each so look for that.

The answer is usually defined either by the first or last word or two in the clue. If stuck just concentrate on them.

If the word "quiet" is in a clue then the answer will have a "p" in it. No idea why.

Only write in answers you are certain about. If guessing a bit then write it in very very faintly.

If you have the first letter of a solution then concentrate on that clue.

Divide up the words where there is more than one word in the solution with a dash where hyphenated or by thickening the diivider between the squares.

Don't expect to be able to finish it very often. Consider it a triumph if you complete a corner or if the clues you have answered all join up.

If stuck leave it for a bit and go back to it.

The word "gold" often stands for "or".

Look at the solutions the following day and try to figure out where they came from.

If all that fails then go to their website and use the cheat facility!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Mock, what does this mean-

Свиньи являются лжецами

How many letters?

Laughing
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The problem, and there is always a problem, is that I'm not too intelligent
cat

You've just become another antipodean. What's up with you Kellys ?
Get a grip, build a ship, call it shazza or phelpy and come looking for it.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:45 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

The Guardian crossword is tough because they have a different compiler every day. Try the Telegraph one. They stick to the same compiler and it is far easier.

If the word "quiet" is in a clue then the answer will have a "p" in it. No idea why.

The word "gold" often stands for "or".

Yes, I had heard the Grauniad's is tougher than most, I guess that is why I was attracted to it.

Those two bits of information will help I'm sure!

I'm decent on anagrams (most of my answers come from these) and had spotted the odd 'words that run into each other' clue too. I've also noticed that there are quite a few, for instance Naval terms which I just wouldn't be familiar with.

I'll check out the Telegraph next time I can't even get one clue on the Graun. clown
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 am

A word beginning with "p" of indicates a "q" and vice versa.

There's lots of things like that but I can't think of them now.

Look out for Roman Numerals, chemical symbols and so on.

Araucaria is the hardest compiler. I can never get anywhere when he is the setter.

If I tried to do it every day I might complete one or two a month.

You do not need to buy the paper because you can print it off their website. There's thousands of them there and if you have never seen it before then who cares if it is not today's?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 am

If something naval is indicated then go for the letters SS, HMS, RN, RM or AB.

"Drama" means "rada".

"Commie" etc is "red".

"Army" is usually either NCO, RE, REME, RA, LT.

"Capital of France" means "F" not "Paris".

Bone up on Greek mythology.

If you get a few letters in a clue then find any word that fits then see if the clue works.

"Frenchman" nearly always means "rene".

Every word in a clue is significant once you figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:54 am

This is all helping...I'm going to stick to 'Gordius' as this is the compiler I've had most of my (limited) success with thus far. What annoys me is when I check answers and still don't understand from where in the clue they are derived - though this is slowly improving I think.

PS I had a glance at an Araucaria Shocked
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 am

I used to be pretty good at these, but fell out of practice when I stopped commuting.

'p' for quiet comes from music, as does 'f' for loud.

Look out for the word 'in': it sometimes indicates that the answer's in between two or more words (singing other = ingot) or there's an anagram.

Chemical symbols also get used - au for silver, pb for lead etc.

There's always (or should be) two definitions in each clue ...

Over time, you do get used to particular compilers / styles (although I never finished an Araucaria one either), and it is indeed a matter of practice. Nice feeling when you complete one, though. The Everyman prize one in the Observer never used to be drastically tricky, but enough to make me send it in whenever I managed to finish it.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 am

I simply don't understand cryptic clues. Even when they are explained. I see where you got ingot from Peggy, but still don't understand why.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:49 am

Ok. I'll try to explain.

Clue: Band of gold singing other songs.

Answer: Band of gold = ingot AND the bit I put before.

Now I'm getting the urge to start doing them again, and I haven't got the time. Grrr.

By the way, 'very quiet' is 'pp' and 'very loud' is 'ff'. Just remembered.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 am

I used to do crosswords a lot, usually The Times, but I found that I obsessed about them so much and it took up so much of my brain & time that I decided to kick the habit. I did the same with Rubik's cube.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:17 am

Peggy wrote:
Ok. I'll try to explain.

Clue: Band of gold singing other songs.

Answer: Band of gold = ingot AND the bit I put before.

Now I'm getting the urge to start doing them again, and I haven't got the time. Grrr.

By the way, 'very quiet' is 'pp' and 'very loud' is 'ff'. Just remembered.

Nope.

To me:

Band of Gold = ring

Singing other songs = covers

So possibly the answer could be 'covering'
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:17 am

This is like looking at one of those conspiracy theories that you find on pasot's terraces!

BTW that's a JOKE!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 am

Big car with dogy battery wrote:
So possibly the answer could be 'covering'

But that hasn't got five letters. And it hasn't got a g in the middle.

Honestly.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:26 am

Sorry.

I did say I didn't understand cryptic crosswords.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 am

And I did say I'd try to help.

Well, I tried.

(seven letters)
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am

No, idea how to begin.

Even when you explain it I still won't understand. In fact I find the whole process slightly, irrationally, annoying. If you ever wanted to drive me insane, just leave me in a room with a cryptic clue and don't let out until I have solved it.
Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Madman behind the wheel - be racer confusingly.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:14 am

Completed my first 'corner' the other day.

I am now giving up on them for a while. Too much thinking, etc! albino
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 pm

There is a free smart phone app for the Guardian crossword now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guardian.crosswords
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cryptic Crosswords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptic Crosswords   Cryptic Crosswords Empty

Back to top Go down

Cryptic Crosswords
Page 1 of 1