Argyle Talk Democratic

The ONLY Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Third tier football in the 1960s

Go down 
AuthorMessage
d3d4football



Posts : 34
Join date : 2017-03-25

PostSubject: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 am

Hi all,

Thought this might be of interest to you. I have recently read this book that covers football in the third tier during the 1960s – not based on Argyle but a captivating story nonetheless.

What is so striking is how much things have changed in football – the money involved now, for example, is ridiculous.

Anyway here is a link with a bit more info for those that may be interested in this sort of stuff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks
James
Back to top Go down
Hugh Watt



Posts : 5021
Join date : 2012-01-09
Location : Over there....

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 am

We spent all but the last 2 years of the 60s in the 2nd tier. We haven't always been this shit believe it or not.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

avatar

Posts : 3442
Join date : 2017-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:44 am

My old man was offered pro terms with Argyle in the late fifties early sixties at a guess but he desired to get a proper job instead. He saw the wages back then were piss poor.
Back to top Go down
Bandwagon

avatar

Posts : 1108
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Dorchester

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:44 am

My first season was the one we went down 68? - it’s been a chore ever since!!
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4535
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 62
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:29 am

I remember seeing Mike Bickle play circa 66, he was pretty good!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

avatar

Posts : 4987
Join date : 2011-05-17
Age : 58
Location : Tavistock area

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 am

Bandwagon wrote:
My first season was the one we went down 68? - it’s been a chore ever since!!

1967/68-having been brought up on Argyle being in the second division,simply could not believe it when they were relegated.Argyle were expected to bounce back very quickly,probably based on previous stays in the third division which tended to be a couple of seasons at most.It was not to be and it took 7 years before the club returned for an equally brief stay.The gap has increased ever since-the next stay in the lower leagues was 9 seasons before Smithy got us up,the next 11 seasons before Sturrocks team finally got back up there.This time it's 9 seasons and counting,who knows when the next foray will be. Back in the 1960's fourth division football for Argyle was completely unthinkable, how the once nearly mighty have fallen.
Back to top Go down
Bandwagon

avatar

Posts : 1108
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Dorchester

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 am

Greenskin wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
My first season was the one we went down 68? - it’s been a chore ever since!!

1967/68-having been brought up on Argyle being in the second division,simply could not believe it when they were relegated.Argyle were expected to bounce back very quickly,probably based on previous stays in the third division which tended to be a couple of seasons at most.It was not to be and it took 7 years before the club returned for an equally brief stay.The gap has increased ever since-the next stay in the lower leagues was 9 seasons before Smithy got us up,the next 11 seasons before Sturrocks team finally got back up there.This time it's 9 seasons and counting,who knows when the next foray will be. Back in the 1960's fourth division football for Argyle was completely unthinkable, how the once nearly mighty have fallen.
Can't change the past but have good go at the future!!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

avatar

Posts : 10737
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 68
Location : Larnaca, Cyprus

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
My first season was the one we went down 68? - it’s been a chore ever since!!

1967/68-having been brought up on Argyle being in the second division,simply could not believe it when they were relegated.Argyle were expected to bounce back very quickly,probably based on previous stays in the third division which tended to be a couple of seasons at most.It was not to be and it took 7 years before the club returned for an equally brief stay.The gap has increased ever since-the next stay in the lower leagues was 9 seasons before Smithy got us up,the next 11 seasons before Sturrocks team finally got back up there.This time it's 9 seasons and counting,who knows when the next foray will be. Back in the 1960's fourth division football for Argyle was completely unthinkable, how the once nearly mighty have fallen.

Indeed. Through the 60's and before, the likes of Norwich and Southampton were our peers attendance wise. Fifty years later and their top division exposure has developed their fanbases/facilities to the extent that they get 20k plus when in the 3rd tier. Every time we get close to challenging for the top flight our undeveloped fanbase, facilities and lack of wealth in the boardroom, inevitably leads to the best players/staff cashing in on their recently raised profiles. It'll never change now unless people with real money decide to take a punt and unleash the beast.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Watt



Posts : 5021
Join date : 2012-01-09
Location : Over there....

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm

The chance has gone, even in the Championship youve got millionaire owners throwing money at what is effectively a lottery ticket. Blackburn have pissed £150 million up the wall, Bolton even more, Bristol City about the same. Middlesbrough are also on a premier league budget.

This from the Accrington owner is sobering

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

avatar

Posts : 10737
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 68
Location : Larnaca, Cyprus

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Bournemouth seem to have done alright. It just needs enough wealth to retain best players and staff on the way up. Madejski did just that when they had Coppell .
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

avatar

Posts : 4987
Join date : 2011-05-17
Age : 58
Location : Tavistock area

PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Bournemouth seem to have done alright. It just needs enough wealth to retain best players and staff on the way up. Madejski did just that when they had Coppell .

Can't someone tell that Russian bloke that there's Tungsten under the old stand?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Third tier football in the 1960s   

Back to top Go down
 
Third tier football in the 1960s
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: