HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I was there...........

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

I was there........... Empty
PostSubject: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Running into Loftus Rd at kick off. Found ourselves behind the goal at the home end. Very tough not being able to celebrate goals. They'd have killied us ! On this day 45 years ago.
'1973: Football League Cup Round 4; QPR 0 Argyle 3 (Welsh 2, Davey). This was a brilliant display of attacking football against the top-flight stars, including Terry Venables, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles and many other well known names. QPR had been undefeated at Loftus Road for over a year, and that night were playing a side from two divisions below; no wonder some rate this one as the greatest performance in Argyle's history.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

I was seven. God I feel sorry for you I feel old enough already.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 pm

It was Live on the radio if you remember
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm

I was there. I was aged 54 at the time. Too old for a ruck with dem wanna be cockernee bastardos.

I feel up for it these days though.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
It was Live on the radio if you remember

I don't even get enough reception to listen to Argyle now.....
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 4:27 pm

What a day that was. I was in the stand with me old Dad, we were both sat open mouthed at the quality of the football by Argyle. We literally played QPR off the park. Always remember the home fans sat around us saying they had never seen QPR outplayed so badly and why the hell weren't we in the first division.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Another one that always sticks in the mind was the 7-3 win at Bournemouth - we were 5-0 up at half time I think.

We had relatives in Bournemouth so the weekend when Argo were up there was always a good one.

It was an outstanding performance that day, Bournemouth never had a hope. How things change.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 am

I also remember some batterings at Loftus Toad. The Morgan twins affraid

What about Rodney Marsh diving to get a late penalty winner and Argyle relegated in front of the Devonport End and winking at the crowd as he got up ?

Some old boy invaded the pitch waving his walking stick laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I was there...........   I was there........... Empty

Back to top Go down

I was there...........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Zoo Corner-
Jump to: