akagreengull
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:05 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Naughty Step wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:
Organic Lager !!!!!!   FFS !    

Great boozer Al, but remember to take a copy of the Guardian with you to read, while you sup your organic beer, tis a good pint in there. cheers

This is why I try to engage with you...

I'm an old man...

In a place where .... Unless I accept it...

I'm old!

Do you remember the White Rabbit? albino

Strangely, sadly I never got to see a band in there, even thought some gigs seemed quite appealing, still regret not watching Hawkwind there.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:28 am

Saw Hawkwind in the old Palace and the Warehouse the Warehouse gig was the best they made the cracks in the blocks wider than ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

Earwegoagain wrote:

Gillian? Thought it was Ronnie James DEO? I saw Sabbath with Ozzy he was epic I went off Sabbath when he left.

Dear old Ozzy. I played at Home Park in a youth cup final, then rushed off, still filthy and sweaty with my boots in a cricket bag to fill up with scrumpy bottles at the Laira narrows offy, and then straight to the Van Dyke for Black Sabbath carrying our group alcohol supply. They did the corny old satanic thing on stage then. A memorable day for a strapling. Tripped on entering the 2 or 3 steps down into the Dyke auditorium and smashed one of the bottles in my bag. Rather embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 2:10 pm

I saw them at Colston Hall once and someone threw an apple on stage, Tony Iommi took a bite and threw it into the crowd where I caught it I promptly sold it to an aging rocker behind me for £5 a lot of money for a biodegradable memento when you are 16. We hitched up came out and it was pissing down so we bunked onto Andy Howard's Rock Throbber with the Woods crowd on board. To be fair to him he spotted us right away but just told us to buy him a beer next time we saw him.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
Brought back some great memories, being a punk in Plymouth circa 1977/78 was great so much going on, mind you had some hairy nights being chased by pissed service types and biker clubs if you looked like one of those fecking punks.
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/50-greatest-gigs-time-plymouths-1378172

One of the few gigs on the sex pistols tour that didn’t get cancelled was Plymouth. That must have been interesting.

The Pistols played on the anarchy tour at the amazing Woods club on 22.12.76 with the Clash the Damned and the Heartbreakers which I didn't go to, however did see them on 31.8.77 during S.P.O.T.S (Sex pistols on tour) at Woods. Remember going straight from work to get to Woods about half five or so and joining a queue of punks/hippies/straights outside . The great thing was we could hear the band sound checking for some time, I think I got into the club about seven, maybe they came on about nine or something. It must have been the hottest, crowded gig ever, there would have been a very serious death toll if a fire had broke out.
Can't remember the support, the Pistol were amazing one of the best live bands I've ever seen and of course they could play except for Sid, obviously.
In fact I remember Sid carving words onto his bare chest with broken glass or something, apart from looking completely deranged, man what a gig.
Halcyon days, Woods disappeared a long time ago but stood approx where HMV now is in the Drake shopping thing, it was upstairs above what was formerly Burtons the tailor. I saw numerous gigs at Woods, was there several nights a week.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 am

Talking of all things music in Plymouth, the Freedom Fields Community Festival is happening this weekend, weather looks ok, hope it goes well.

http://freedomcommunityfestival.org/festival-2018-programme/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

Watch out though. Keith and his organ will be there LOL. You have been warned
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
There was a great incident in Tavvy about the late eighties, Chumbawhumba played the Pannier Market in Tavvy, another great venue for about 500 people. At the time travellers were squatting at Crowndale farm and rumours started that there was going to be a rave after the gig. I was away working and didn't get back until about 10pm and decided to walk my dog down market road only to be greeted by a phalanx of 500 coppers including Bristols Mounties. "Can't come down here were expecting trouble" I was told. The gig finished, everybody made an orderly way home except for anyone living in the Bere Ferrers/Bere Alston direction as they closed the road off. The local paper congratulated the OB effort and praised the way that they had prevented the evil rave. There was no rave planned but even to this day they will use it as an excuse to stop events because of what happened back then. The only thing that happened was a massive over reaction to something that wasn't ever going to happen apart from in the minds of a few parish councillors.

Just had a post on FaceWank pop up saying that Dreadzone are playing at the Tavvy Wharf.
Their always worth a watch.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 pm

alannotivvy wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
There was a great incident in Tavvy about the late eighties, Chumbawhumba played the Pannier Market in Tavvy, another great venue for about 500 people. At the time travellers were squatting at Crowndale farm and rumours started that there was going to be a rave after the gig. I was away working and didn't get back until about 10pm and decided to walk my dog down market road only to be greeted by a phalanx of 500 coppers including Bristols Mounties. "Can't come down here were expecting trouble" I was told. The gig finished, everybody made an orderly way home except for anyone living in the Bere Ferrers/Bere Alston direction as they closed the road off. The local paper congratulated the OB effort and praised the way that they had prevented the evil rave. There was no rave planned but even to this day they will use it as an excuse to stop events because of what happened back then. The only thing that happened was a massive over reaction to something that wasn't ever going to happen apart from in the minds of a few parish councillors.

Just had a post on FaceWank pop up saying that Dreadzone are playing at the Tavvy Wharf.
Their always worth a watch.

cheers One slipped through the net I expect they thought they were a dub tribute act. I'll be at this one cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3