Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round up from the media on the Southend game

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Round up from the media on the Southend game Empty
PostSubject: Round up from the media on the Southend game   Round up from the media on the Southend game EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 7:25 am

Derek Adams thought centre-back Sonny Bradley made an immediate impact on his return to duty for Plymouth Argyle.

Bradley brought defensive solidity to the Pilgrims as they beat Southend United 4-0 at Home Park on Good Friday.

He had missed the previous three matches because of an unspecified illness, during which time Argyle had conceded five goals.

But they kept a clean sheet against Southend, which was their first in four games since Bradley’s last appearance in a 1-0 home win against Bradford City.

Graham Carey has vowed to continue taking penalties for Plymouth Argyle despite his latest miss.

The 28-year-old Pilgrims’ playmaker hit the crossbar with a second half spot kick in the 4-0 victory over Southend United at Home Park on Good Friday.

Argyle were already three goals up at the time and it would have completed a first hat-trick of his career.

Carey has now failed to convert three out of his five penalties for Argyle in 2018.#

Chris Powell

Southend defeat came following a decisive 60 second period in the first half when Simon Cox wasted a golden chance to equalise just moments before Argyle doubled their lead.

Disappointed manager Chris Powell heaped praise on Plymouth Argyle following his side’s 4-0 defeat at Home Park.

The setback was the Shrimpers boss’ first on the road since taking charge.

And, despite being frustrated by Blues’ own display, Powell was impressed by the Pilgrims.

“We played a very good team,” said Powell.

“Out of the games I’ve had they’re the best team we’ve played.

“I knew there would be a reaction from them after the defeat against Charlton.

“I stressed we needed a good start but the plans went array early on and we were on the back foot after that.”

Plymouth opened the scoring after just three minutes with Ruben Lameiras on target.

But Powell felt things could have worked out differently had Simon Cox taken a great equalise midway through the first half.

“For me at 1-0 down the turning point was the chance we had from the rebound of Dru Yearwood’s shot,” said Powell.

“You have to take those when you’re playing a good side who are aiming for the top six.”

The Pilgrims immediately made it 2-0 with Graham Carey firing home before a controversial moment on the stroke of half-time when Ryan Taylor appeared to elbow Michael Turner.

But Powell played down the incident.

“I was quite a way from it,” said Powell.

“Derek (Adams) their manager was nearer to it and we had choice words but it’s OK.

“They had an old fashioned battle the two of them.

“I thought they got away with a bit more but that happens.

“They are a vociferous crowd here but the referee handled it well.

“Was it an elbow? I don’t know but Michael isn’t the type to go down and that was my argument because he’s an old school centre-back.

“The ref gave him a yellow.

“If you raise your arms I don’t think it’s a yellow but the referee made his decision and you have to get on with it.

“We just weren’t right today.

“It wasn’t us but you have to give them credit.

“They showed their quality at the right time.

“It’s not great and I don’t feel great at the moment but the good thing is we have a game on Monday to bounce back now.”
Back to top Go down

Round up from the media on the Southend game
Page 1 of 1