argyl3
Hugh Midde
Tgwu
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

New plan for airport Empty
PostSubject: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 10 Jan 2018, 13:12

Businessman ploughs thousands into scheme to build homes with their own aircraft hangers on Plymouth's old airport

The homes would be made of timber panels with only a couple of steel stanchions and beams, and mostly manufactured off-site so they can be put up in only “a few days”.

They would be ideal, Mr Day said, for aviators or people who want to build a kit aircraft or helicopter.

Mr Day, who has already ploughed £100,000 of his own cash into a similar scheme in Gosport, envisages the homes selling for about the same price as a regular four-bedroomed house in the area.

He said the idea is similar to the way some boat owners live in a marina.

Taken from Brent rag
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 10 Jan 2018, 13:19

cause an airport that open for all is too silly an idea.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018, 18:50

Tgwu wrote:
Businessman ploughs thousands into scheme to build homes with their own aircraft hangers on Plymouth's old airport

They would be ideal, Mr Day said, for aviators or people who want to build aircraft.

You can still catch your holiday flight from Exeter Airport Hugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_gear#/media/File:Airbus-owned_A380-800_(F-WWDD)_at_Filton_Airfield_(England)_in_mid-2010_arp.jpg

Is Plymouth still doing monthly flights to Newquay?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vickers+vimy+biplane&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6b0Vyax5Q30ScM%253A%252CVw_A1TGrn304DM%252C_&usg=__6R8ZQiUd5DTbxrc7
CtX4p2THvVw%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIjOqfidPYAhXGAsAKHb05B2oQ9QEIOzAC#imgrc=6b0Vyax5Q30ScM:

Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
argyl3

argyl3

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptySat 13 Jan 2018, 11:36

Make a nice site for a football stadium and training ground if we had a "forward thinking club"
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptySat 13 Jan 2018, 12:10

What would they do with HP
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptySat 13 Jan 2018, 12:48

The world is full of gorms trying to make shed loads of money for themselves
by getting around necessary planning conditions. This guy's ruse is the most ridiculous yet
and on a par with giving away British Home Stores and it's pensioners to some bankrupt con man.

As to an empty Home Park, if it should ever happen, which it might well at some stage,
Brent would happily turn it into a residential/business/"student education" gold mine for himself.
And of course, there's nothing to stop him moving the club out of the park if he wanted to.
A situation begging for a corrupt character to fill their boots.
It's why the likes of Michael Foot didn't want private ownership of any part of the park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyTue 16 Jan 2018, 16:09

Short sighted council, short sighted janners, if the Bleddy flights had been better patronised, maybe we’d still have an operational airport, all the wailing and handwringing is too sodding late.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyTue 16 Jan 2018, 16:43

Brent Herald is toting five reason not to open the airport

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plans-submitted-luxury-flats-plymouths-1069577
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyTue 16 Jan 2018, 17:06

I really don't get all the clamour to reopen the airport. It closed because it wasn't being used - I'm the only person I know who ever flew into or out of there. Exeter and Newquay are close if people want internal flights, and Bristol - which is only two hours away - is great and, because it's got a full size runway, can provide a service Plymouth never could. You can get to Amsterdam from Plymouth via Bristol quicker than you can get to London from Plymouth.

Most people who fly are going on holiday (and they're all harming the the environment, but we'll leave that to one side for now). By definition, they're travelling a long way, and that tends to take a long time. It doesn't really make a lot of difference if you add a couple of hours to that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyTue 16 Jan 2018, 17:51

It’s true Exeter is very close and flies to many locations, however I did find our airport was most convenient on long haul flights when BA was flying from there to London, checked the baggage in at Plymouth and didn’t see it again until arriving in the Far East, most flights we were on from Plymouth were almost never full and in particular on the return flight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 05:22

There is no business case to reopen the airport. Air South West stopped flying out of there because nobody used its routes. People can bellyache all they like, unless airlines want to fly there it doesn’t happen. I suspect will close once we Leave the EU and Cornwall Council can no longer afford to subsidise Flybe in to landing there.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 07:42

Newquay is subsidised by around 3 million pounds a year by Cornwall Council, I'm sure PCC could cut 3 million pounds from its budget to operate Plymouth airport.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 08:15

I'm delighted at every internal flight that gets axed. A hugely subsidised polluting industry that gets it's money to transport the very few. Not many in Devonport use an airplane to get to work, and even fewer need to.
No need for inter city air travel within this postage stamp of a country. Unadulterated under taxed corporate nonsense. Get a train, a coach, or drive there like the rest of us. Or, here's a tip, there's something called the internet. Use that, or delegate responsibility to those nearer the oh so precious issue.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 09:45

Graiser wrote:
It’s true Exeter is very close and flies to many locations, however I did find our airport was most convenient on long haul flights when BA was flying from there to London, checked the baggage in at Plymouth and didn’t see it again until arriving in the Far East, most flights we were on from Plymouth were almost never full and in particular  on the return flight.

Exeter may well have many connections to the world but it comes at a cost. Only last Saturday my lad checked Exeter to Bangkok (I asked him to).....dated it a month in advance so as not to get squeezed on price cheapest was £720 on Etihad using connections to Manchester first and 2nd was Air france at £1074
Bonkers money which normally sells for £430 ish out of Heathrow.

Peggy I used Plymouth airport 3 times to London once to Heathrow originally and twice to Gatwick
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 11:15

An airport will only appeal to people who use it on a regular basis. We have family in Jersey and I used to love getting the Dash7 from Plymouth. I’d love it to somehow become viable, but I think it would take Newquay losing the Council subsidy for that to happen. Even then there would still obvs be the aircraft/runway limitations.

Closing it and building houses to add to the already growing traffic nightmare in Northern Plymouth would be a catastrophe.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 11:21

I flew out of Plymouth (to Bristol and then Malaga) and into Plymouth (from Glasgow) once. Neither time was the plane full but I don't think they were allowed to fill the planes because the more full they are the heavier they are and the longer the runway needs to be; our runway isn't long enough and so the planes were never filled.

Regarding the need to fly v getting a train: I flew to Bristol because it was cheaper, and by quite a lot, than getting a train. I don't think there really is much need though in many cases. My Glasgow trip was indicative of that. I didn't actually need to go to Glasgow at all but Dumfries and I didn't start in Plymouth but Exeter. The trip actually involved a hire car to Bristol, a flight to Glasgow, another hire car back to Dumfries and the return trip a hire car to Glasgow and a plane back to Roborough. It was all a lot of hassle to be honest and would have been just as easy to drive from Exeter to Dumfries for the outward journey and by the time you factor in booking in early, collecting luggage, collecting car, getting out of Glasgow and driving back on ourselves (Dumfries is not far past Carisle) probably just as quick.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 11:39

Train fares are scandalous in this country. If flying to Europe from Bristol and getting the train there from Plymouth, in a huge number of circumstances your rail fare to Bristol will cost considerably more than your flight. Compare and contrast that with getting the train in Europe and the difference is staggering.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 14:34

I read recently that it was cheaper and quicker to fly from London to Madrid and then on to Newcastle that to get the train.

That's privatisation's legendary efficiency for you.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 19:35

Can’t wait for Corbyn and McCluskey to get their hands on the State. I remember only to well the dirty, often late, and expensive rail network that came to represent the awful seventies. Well, that and the general post office who owned the telephone system. A six week wait to have a phone installed was perfectly normal.  
Trains have become expensive with an open return price to London being around £100. Yet taking your car would cost something like £70 there and back. So no obvious benefit.  Obviously it gets cheaper with car sharing.
Just like all ideologies do, western style capitalism is running out of steam. Corbyn’s time has come. Inefficiency? You ain’t seen nothing yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 21:08

harvetheslayer wrote:
Graiser wrote:
It’s true Exeter is very close and flies to many locations, however I did find our airport was most convenient on long haul flights when BA was flying from there to London, checked the baggage in at Plymouth and didn’t see it again until arriving in the Far East, most flights we were on from Plymouth were almost never full and in particular  on the return flight.

Exeter may well have many connections to the world but it comes at a cost. Only last Saturday my lad checked Exeter to Bangkok (I asked him to).....dated it a month in advance so as not to get squeezed on price cheapest was £720 on Etihad using connections to Manchester first and 2nd was Air france at £1074
Bonkers money which normally sells for £430 ish out of Heathrow.

Thats very true, I’ve flown to Tenerife from Exeter and the fare was circa £100 dearer than flying from Bristol

Peggy I used Plymouth airport 3 times to London once to Heathrow originally and twice to Gatwick
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018, 21:41

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Can’t wait for Corbyn and McCluskey to get their hands on the State. I remember only to well the dirty, often late, and expensive rail network that came to represent the awful seventies. Well, that and the general post office who owned the telephone system. A six week wait to have a phone installed was perfectly normal.  
Trains have become expensive with an open return price to London being around £100. Yet taking your car would cost something like £70 there and back. So no obvious benefit.  Obviously it gets cheaper with car sharing.
Just like all ideologies do, western style capitalism is running out of steam. Corbyn’s time has come. Inefficiency? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

True enough about BR-really can't understand the nostalgia about an organisation which complied with the most disastrous transport decision in British history i.e the Beeching report,royally fecked up the transition from steam to diesel and utterly failed to compete with up and coming forms of transport [although to be fair there were obstacles in their way].I'm no advocate of privatisation as a dogma or panacea but it can't be denied that since BR was broken up,the fortunes of the railways have been transformed in terms of passenger numbers especially-more people carried today than in 1946 on a network reduced by one third is an impressive turnaround.My father and grandfather both worked for many years on the railway and i believe that letters addressed to British Snail and British Fail were fairly common occurrences-to look at the BR years with any sense of an industry serving it's purpose to the optimum would seem to be rose coloured spectacle gazing of a very unrealistic sort.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyThu 18 Jan 2018, 07:12

rollo not sure where you got the £100 open return from as I knew it was more than that
A quick check and open return within a month leaving tomorrow is £276

Open return will always be the very most expensive as it requires the carrier to possibly bump someone out of a seat no matter what type of transport it is
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyThu 18 Jan 2018, 08:22

Old problems are due to old technologies and old social ills. In fact it was those very new emerging technologies that took the eye of profiteers clocking the chance for big savings and profits coupled with the guaranteed income government utilities would give them. Once the technological acceleration slows, watch those rats scarper as they always have done when REAL investment was needed, particularly in the rail industry. Most investment that there is in tracks is still carried out at taxpayer expense. Like it or not, some utilities will never make a profit, and that is not their purpose. The police force don't turn a profit, so why electricity supply ?

Things move on. Slow mail wasn't that quick or reliable when it was carried by horseback.  And British rail sandwiches were dished up in every home in the country, people proudly showing off their cardboard Mothers Pride loaf. It took the hippies to find out what decent bread should be. The real systemic problem of the inefficient poor quality "British rail sandwich", and all that it represents, is still there. For instance, the mass food production and delivery system that will never provide chemical free quality food. And it wasn't just the nationalised industries that had problems with delivery. The private companies weren't any better either in their fields when it came down to serving ordinary folk. A few selective memories on here. I bet there was no problem with the quality of food being served up in the bars of Westminster, and yet that was government operated/ nationalised if you like. The REAL problem back then was the general public were deemed not to be deserving of good quality service in anything .... just doff your cap and be grateful you have a club rail service to support. Running water, food in your bellies, votes for yer women folk ?   whatever next ? A good slap of the riding crop is what you lot need.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyThu 18 Jan 2018, 10:05

Anybody who thinks nationalised railways are worse than what we've got now should take a look at the Netherlands. To give just one example.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport EmptyThu 18 Jan 2018, 10:51

Peggy wrote:
Anybody who thinks nationalised railways are worse than what we've got now should take a look at the Netherlands. To give just one example.

Not sure about the Netherlands or anywhere else but I do remember a significant part of BR in its existence between 1948-1997 and the only conclusion to be drawn [as a non political person] is that they were awful, a litany of terrible management and industrial relations, botched long term projects such as APT and liner trains, a complete failure to formulate any long term infrastructure planning to compete with road and air and a total disrespect for their inheritance as far as assets and heritage was concerned, to name but a few. About their only real success was the introduction of the HST and some enlightenment of attitude after Peter Parker became chairman but overall they were shabby. Wouldn't bank on the election of a Labour government and subsequent renationalisation being any better,certainly if Labours promise to stop the Beeching cuts in the 1964 and 1966 manifestos are anything to go by-in reality they did bugger all and in fact it was Barbara Castle who signed off some of the more cretinous closures such as the Great Central and Southern mainline to Plymouth, the effects of which are still felt today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New plan for airport   New plan for airport Empty

Back to top Go down

New plan for airport
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next