+3
Czarcasm
Greenskin
Sir Francis Drake
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Crazy scenes in Egypt Empty
PostSubject: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My God this is at a football match!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Awful, awful scenes. Terribly upsetting.

It doesn't seem appropriate to use such an occasion to make a point but the BBC report you linked to contains this "The al-Ahly fans, known as Ultras, have a particular reputation for violence." I guess this is why the idea of Argyle's Ultras has raised worries in some quarters.

Dreadful stuff though. Truly horrific. I feel numbed just thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Looks like the Police just stood by and watched. The Middle East is not somewhere I'd want to be travelling to anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Reminds me of Millwall in 1967.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:50 pm

It's not football anymore in Egypt.. It's part of a civil war, and revolution that hasn't run it's course yet.
The whole Bosnian Croat Serbian thing first raised it's head again at football matches involving the like of Partisan Belgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Yugoslavia's problems certainly hit the global stage when a Cup Final between Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) and Red Star Belgrade (Serbia) ended in a riot. I'm not suggesting that the Zagreb fans were angels but a fella named Arkan was a central figure who had been organising the Red Star Ultras for years. The same Arkan was used to supply an unofficial bootboy millitia by Serbian leaders to break few heads as required when the ethnic cleansing was still relatively covert. Zvonomir Boban became a Croatian hero for intervening as the police attacked Croatian fans. It's all on youtube should you care to look. It was soon after that Yugoslavia collapsed into open warfare.

Let's just hope that this was only a football riot that got out of hand and that Egypt doesn't go down the same route that Yugoslavia did.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Seems the majority of deaths were people getting trampled in a stampede to get out of the stadium.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

SFD - Could you find a link for me? Cheers

Shocking scenes in Egypt, never nice to see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 am

They said on the Beeb this morning that supporters of President Mubarak (?sp.) were thought to be involved, I hesitate to mention that unless I am being used in a political chess game, what a mess.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Chilling stuff.

This piece claims that the stadium doors were welded shut meaning that there was no possible escape. Horrific.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Just finished reading it, very interesting, whilst at the same time, quite sick.

Thanks very much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Thats absolutely horrific and somebody should be charged over the deaths.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 am

It's a very sick and broken world that we live in at the moment. I'm not sure there's much more to say really except that such events provide a sense of perspective sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 pm

There was a BBC World Service programme all about this and it is now available as a podcast.

And as a listen again for a few days.

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

I've just listened to it. I'm stunned. That's one of the best radio broadcasts that I have ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

The whole region wont have any sability for years, libya egypt syria.
Question is though who (in the west) stands to gain from all this ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

GregCampbellFanClub wrote:
The whole region wont have any sability for years, libya egypt syria.
Question is though who (in the west) stands to gain from all this ?

Chris Webb?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

I am sure that we (the West) have been very, very busy in the Arab Spring.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 am

The trial is over.

21 fans from the Port Said team have been sentenced to death. Needless to say they are rioting in Port Said and, so far 2 policemen are believed to have been killed.

In Cairo, where Al Ahly come from, there is huge celebration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am

Egypt has a bumpy road to follow for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 am

I'm not sure making an example of 21 fans with the death penalty is a particularly good way of going about stabilising things.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 am

The country will soon be an Islamic republic hell hole. Then they'll wish they never overthrew Mubarak.
Back to top Go down
GM Vauxhall

GM Vauxhall

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Would like to see some of that lot up against Forza Merde though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Reminds me of Millwall in 1967.

Not quite Greenskin........I don't remember dozens of dead ....if you are referring to Argyle's 2-1 win at the Old Den in January of that year.

I can remember keeping a low profile leaving the ground but that was all....but to jest about the appalling scenes in Egypt is not required or appropiate.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Horrific.

No wonder the French are getting into Mali, revolution & counter revolution for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crazy scenes in Egypt   Crazy scenes in Egypt Empty

Back to top Go down

Crazy scenes in Egypt
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next