AuthorMessage
hippo

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Fastnet force 10.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
I read Flashman when a teenager, you're right it is a great series, will dig it out again, I'm off to India for 3 months in the new year so I could read the Indian bits in situ for added interest.
I did enjoy Hornblower as well another good read although a bit vomit inducing at times.

The Indian ones are the best ones, too.

Although the slavery one was hoot.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
beesrus

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 pm

I luuuuurve storytelling, I love story listening even more.

But let's remember there's some shite stories out there masquerading in a leather bound parcel. Where do books go from here ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beesrus

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Had a laugh at one of the new trash books in Waterstones..... The beautiful poetry of Donald Trump. It did make me laugh with the shop assistant.
Anyway, lots of Homus deus copies up front in the window making a splash this year, can't think why.

Related to HD, I recommend an older book, Sarum by Ed Rutherford. A fictional almost anthropological delving into our past more than our future here on these islands. Right up my nature street and almost too magical and pagan for much present day European christian thinking.The style isn't the best if you like lyric and character centred story telling, this is about broad landscapes and the passing of time. If you can be bothered to find out where Newell got his traits, this is the book for you.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Ill pop that on my reading list Beezles
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
beesrus

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Very Happy You'll need some time. It's a lot of pages and covers a few thousand years. You'll get a lot of history as the backdrop.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
I do struggle with both Crime/detective novels and anything that has anything to do with magic and elves (apart from Tolkein OBVS). I've read some great whodunnits over the years but I found now you are just reading the same story with different locations and characters given a shakeup.
I'm much happier reading real life adventure I've just finished Shackleton for about the fifth time, Knox Johnson is good as is Bernard Motissier (Long Way) about his Golden Globe (as is Knox Jon on same subject). I've read loads of books about the pioneers of America and Africa and find them all fascinating.
Currently re reading Snowblind on Czarks reccomendation, great book. If you like that check out Cocaine Conspiracy by Michael Levine a top DEA agent who ended up getting out of the business because of government corruption. What I love about reading these things like Chapo is that if it were fiction you'd be struggling to believe it, too far fetched almost.

'Ear, you sure it wasn't Michael Levine's 'The Big White Lie' you're referring to here??
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
I do struggle with both Crime/detective novels and anything that has anything to do with magic and elves (apart from Tolkein OBVS). I've read some great whodunnits over the years but I found now you are just reading the same story with different locations and characters given a shakeup.
I'm much happier reading real life adventure I've just finished Shackleton for about the fifth time, Knox Johnson is good as is Bernard Motissier (Long Way) about his Golden Globe (as is Knox Jon on same subject). I've read loads of books about the pioneers of America and Africa and find them all fascinating.
Currently re reading Snowblind on Czarks reccomendation, great book. If you like that check out Cocaine Conspiracy by Michael Levine a top DEA agent who ended up getting out of the business because of government corruption. What I love about reading these things like Chapo is that if it were fiction you'd be struggling to believe it, too far fetched almost.

'Ear, you sure it wasn't Michael Levine's 'The Big White Lie' you're referring to here??

No you're right, I'm confusing it with cannabis conspiracy which isn't all that, Deep Cover by Levine is good as well.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

No you're right, I'm confusing it with cannabis conspiracy which isn't all that, Deep Cover by Levine is good as well.

Thanks/OK

I'll have a crack at that in the new year hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The book thread.   

Back to top Go down

The book thread.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: