The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sad week at The Fortescue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Sad week at The Fortescue Empty
PostSubject: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm

The widow of a popular landlord who lost his battle with cancer this week has paid tribute to her 'soul mate'.

The Fortescue Pub on Mutley Plain broke the sad news on July 19 that its landlord, Steve Smith had died.

His wife Natasha Smith has spoken of the tragic loss of Steve - a much-loved and respected publican.

"I have lost my soul mate, my best friend and the love of my life," she said. "We were together for nine years - I asked him for a job, he asked me out on a date.

Steve was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2014 and many of his friends and customers have posted on social media paying tribute to 'the nicest man you could ever meet' and his bravery whilst battling the disease.

Radio DJ Gordon Sparks wrote: 'Despite everything that he has gone through, he'd still be seen as the life and soul of The Fort, and showing off his latest battle scars as another chapter he had fought through.'

Another friend added: 'Only the other day I was using Steve's battle to a client who was due to have major surgery of a man who showed great strength and courage and determination.'

Natasha told The Herald: ""I would like to thank the hospital staff at Derriford Hospital for all the care they gave him, but most of all the Fortescue staff, family and friends for all the support they have given him over the last couple of years."

Plymouth Paper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 pm

How awful. Have known Steve for decades since he took up the bar manager job for dear ol' Quintin at the Thistle Park all those years ago. Lovely guy, always chirpy and friendly. Amazed how upbeat he has been throughout his illness even up to this last few months. A fantastic example of human spirit and how we should all take our leave.
A Wolves fan, but you can't have everything. A fantastic publican. I enjoyed your company while you were here, Steve. Mutley is an emptier place. RIP
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Thistle and the Fort, two of Plymouths very best boozers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Some years ago I lost my first wife to cancer and it's a bleddy awful illness, I didn't know Steve but I do understand what his partner is now enduring and I offer my condolences to her at this most difficult time.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 1:20 pm

sad news, a fine establishment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm

seadog wrote:
sad news, a fine establishment.

Indeed, Mike, Indeed. I shall venturing down next weekend to offer my condolences to Steve's family.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptySun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 am

The Fortescue pub has announced details for the funeral of its beloved landlord who lost his battle with cancer earlier this month.

A service at St Andrews Church Plymouth will commemorate the life of Steve Smith, a popular publican whose death has been marked by an outpouring of tributes from friends and family.

The funeral will take place on August 4 at 1pm. Family flowers only are requested at the service, but donations to Kidney Cancer UK would be appreciated by the family.

This will be followed by an evening dedicated to stories about Steve at his much-loved pub The Fortescue.

'Anyone who knew Steve will know that it will be one epic party,' the pub posted on its Facebook page.

'We have some amazing ales to honour his name so come raise a glass with us
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm

It hasn't been a good few months for Plymouth's better pubs.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think The Morley Arms has since closed.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sad week at The Fortescue   Sad week at The Fortescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Sad week at The Fortescue
Page 1 of 1