Damon.Lenszner
Nick
Tringreen
Freathy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Break the Wage Cap! Empty
PostSubject: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 am

January is the last train out of the station time and it's also a good time for fans to judge the owners interest in the club, buy their way out of the shit and it's safe to say they are interested, do nothing, as we have for the past two seasons, then it's safe to say that the owner is skint or doesn't give a toss. But then there's this joke of a wage cap that disguises an owners lack of interest......

The only clubs that adhere to it are the clubs that have no choice and cannot afford to break it.

It's a very weak and already abused wage cap anyway.

Clubs that can afford to break it, do!

There's no need to break it anyway, just increase a players transfer fee or bung him a nice sponsorship deal just like all the clubs that can afford it, do!

So that pretty much clears the way to "big up" the squad if the desire is there. So, if nothing happens on the transfer market between now and Tuesday, would it be fair to say that Brent doesn't give a toss, is skint, or A N other reason?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 am

With Sutherland and Patterson both gone, I don't see the need to break the cap. Patterson was on £3k a week; dunno about Sutherland's costs, but even the money saved on Patterson should be enough to bring a couple players in on a decent (by League 2 standards) wedge. And just offer them a bonus if we stay up, payable next season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:53 am

I didn't even consider that Andy. It should be interesting between now and Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:59 am

The wage cap serves as a very convenient excuse for brent. Brent wouldn't spend if there was no wage cap.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 am

It's looking no better than 50/50 for survival, so if they do little or nothing, or wait for the Deehan effect, a third and catastrophic relegation on the trot becomes a distinct possibility.
All the 'have faiths',' Resurgams', 'the club that wouldn't die' and' how many phone calls or bucket rattlings did you make ?', will as always, count for nothing.

It will have been an abject failure for Brent and his fawning groupies.

Last edited by Tringreen on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:02 am

I don't think Brent has another penny to spend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 am

It would certainly look that way YM.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:22 am

As I said on another thread, the dynamic duo have both commented that Brent says there will be no money in the boardroom and the supporters have a great opportunity to build and steer the club.
In other words, I've got the property deals and the club is being led by nobodies and Pasoti.

If he doesn't change tack, we are doomed. Fanfests, Flags and Forrest Green, Forever !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Spot on comments from one of the few remaining that are permitted an alternative view, Grovehill!

It's well worth a read!

Grovehill
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:38 pm

A little off topic but as you mentioned PASOTI... I don't really read it any more but did have a look yesterday, and one Ryan Ferguson in his thread entitled "People on here make me sick!" gave me a right old chuckle:

"Don't give me that 'I know you're young' crap! I'm 15 not 11!"

lol!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm

GOB wrote:
Spot on comments from one of the few remaining that are permitted an alternative view, Grovehill!

It's well worth a read!

Grovehill

An excellent assessment. Well done Grovie. They won't listen though. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 pm

We always get told the Brent was the ONLY option.....I believe that is a crock of poo and if the club had been marketed PROPERLY and from the start there may well have been plenty of other options. But hey, we've got a gentleman in charge now that'll do us great in the conference. Do we get an award for the gentleman chairman of the year?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:50 pm

If we go down, do you think the baying masses will finally turn on the President and his mate? Or do you think there will be some positive spin put on and everyone will be happy?

Personally, I cannot believe that too many people will be taken in. Eventually, no matter how many scarves, flags or buckets they will see that Brent has no intention of paying any money into the club and that FL status is unimportant to him.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Cerbera wrote:
If we go down, do you think the baying masses will finally turn on the President and his mate? Or do you think there will be some positive spin put on and everyone will be happy?

Personally, I cannot believe that too many people will be taken in. Eventually, no matter how many scarves, flags or buckets they will see that Brent has no intention of paying any money into the club and that FL status is unimportant to him.

There will always be the few hundred Avivas blindly following their leaders in a dilapidated Pyramid and on the supporters' coach to Ebbsfleet.They will still hold sway because they are largely local and always there . Gates will dwindle to 3k.

Everyone else will sadly walk away and peep in at the freak show occasionally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Cerbera wrote:

The role of President at Argyle is an honary role. Brent must see it as little value because no wage is provided, simply a method of focusing any bad press on other individuals, so the shit doesn't stick to him. The shit associated with EDL chanting and racist fans attaches itself to the comedy duo. Whether the shit is justified or not is immaterial as shit has a habit of sticking.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Grovehill - clearly one of the remaining voices of reason in that nut house. No doubt the brent loving mob will round on him in a bid to silence the unbeliever! Deja vu.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:36 pm

The Red Star wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

The role of President at Argyle is an honary role. Brent must see it as little value because no wage is provided, simply a method of focusing any bad press on other individuals, so the shit doesn't stick to him. The shit associated with EDL chanting and racist fans attaches itself to the comedy duo. Whether the shit is justified or not is immaterial as shit has a habit of sticking.

I think that the President may well regret taking the gift for his volunteer work that he undertook as the non-elected Trust leader, or if he doesn't yet I think he will, at least I hope he will, it would restore just a hint of credibility as far as I am concerned. As you say RedStar, it seems he was intended to be Brent's whipping boy but I hope that won't water down the responsibilities that Brent appears to be cold shouldering, should he decide not to provide financial support to get the club, fans and staff out of this mire.

The President may well be the face of Brent and we can have dozens of flags covering Home Park with the directors sitting in the Devonport End and the president sitting in the directors box, but if we're in this same position at the end of the season I would be very surprised to see the directors sitting in the Devonport End when we pick up the wooden spoon!
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:01 pm

The Wage Cap doesn't even have to be broken - merely bent. A Football League place is everything - nothing else matters. To see this great club lose over 100 years of league history would be nothing short of disastrous. 'Gentleman Jim' knows my views on this. I have outlined how to bend the rules. But there is an absolute insistance to 'play the game the right way' Sorry but it shows complete naievity. Football is a cesspit. If you don't want to get dirty then don't get involved. The Corinthian Casuals ideal is fantastic, but lets not forget that they play in the Ryman Isthmian League Division 1 South. The 'team' is crying out for investment in order to stay up. Relegation inevitably means redundancies - I reckon at least 25. They don't deserve it - and we don't deserve it. If nothing is done by close of business on Tuesday then I fear for this football club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
The Wage Cap doesn't even have to be broken - merely bent. A Football League place is everything - nothing else matters. To see this great club lose over 100 years of league history would be nothing short of disastrous. 'Gentleman Jim' knows my views on this. I have outlined how to bend the rules. But there is an absolute insistance to 'play the game the right way' Sorry but it shows complete naievity. Football is a cesspit. If you don't want to get dirty then don't get involved. The Corinthian Casuals ideal is fantastic, but lets not forget that they play in the Ryman Isthmian League Division 1 South. The 'team' is crying out for investment in order to stay up. Relegation inevitably means redundancies - I reckon at least 25. They don't deserve it - and we don't deserve it. If nothing is done by close of business on Tuesday then I fear for this football club.

Sadly I think you are 100% right.

We NEED to bend the rules slightly in order to stay up no doubt about it. Everyother club in the entire football world would do the same to preserve football league status.

Get players in on short term deals if needed then reassess in the summer if we survive.

There must be people out there willing to invest in the club.

Are we really any better off now with Brent than we were with Stapes?
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:51 pm

GOB wrote:
But then there's this joke of a wage cap that disguises an owners lack of interest......

The only clubs that adhere to it are the clubs that have no choice and cannot afford to break it.

I cannot believe that a supporter of Plymouth Argyle can promote such idiocy ~ take a look at the league table and you will see that it is not how much you spend but how you spend what you have.............Cheltenham ~ top of the table. Torquay United coming up behind them like an express train with not one purchased player in their squad.

Bottom of the table AC Northampton Town ~ spent over £11 million in the nine year stewardship of chairman David Carduzo, and for what? Yourselves ~ some of the highest salaried (supposedly) players in this league, had you bothered to actually pay them; and a team of utter crap with a "faux manager" given the job to justify his excessive wedge and to accommodate the fraudulant "sacking" of Peter Reid to ensure he got his money due as a "football creditor". Bristol Rovers ~ spending money as if it's going out of fashion with debts rising into their millions...............need I say more?

The answer to achieving success in this (or any other league for that matter) lays in administrating your club efficiently, making quality managerial appointments and then letting them get on with their job within the parameters jointly agreed on commencement of their appointment.

Torquay United clearly do this, Plymouth Argyle quite clearly have not, do not and will not in the future if people like you are taken notice of.

No club can "afford" to break the wage cap!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:02 pm

merse wrote:
GOB wrote:
But then there's this joke of a wage cap that disguises an owners lack of interest......

I cannot believe that a supporter of Plymouth Argyle can promote such idiocy ~ take a look at the league table and you will see that it is not how much you spend but how you spend what you have.............Cheltenham ~ top of the table. Torquay United coming up behind them like an express train with not one purchased player in their squad.

Bottom of the table AC Northampton Town ~ spent over £11 million in the nine year stewardship of chairman David Carduzo, and for what? Yourselves ~ some of the highest salaried (supposedly) players in this league, had you bothered to actually pay them; and a team of utter crap with a "faux manager" given the job to justify his excessive wedge and to accommodate the fraudulant "sacking" of Peter Reid to ensure he got his money due as a "football creditor". Bristol Rovers ~ spending money as if it's going out of fashion with debts rising into their millions...............need I say more?

The answer to achieving success in this (or any other league for that matter) lays in administrating your club efficiently, making quality managerial appointments and then letting them get on with their job within the parameters jointly agreed on commencement of their appointment.

Torquay United clearly do this, Plymouth Argyle quite clearly have not, do not and will not in the future if people like you are taken notice of.

No club can "afford" to break the wage cap!

It is not "idiocy" to recognise that a glaring weakness,both in terms of quality and numbers, exists in the striking positions at Argyle and that if this is not swiftly addressed,will lead to relegation to the BSP,thus incurring even more serious financial penalties.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:10 pm

The plain and simple answer was to buy off the remainder of Johnson's contract as some sort of capital expense... that would have freed up some wages money within the cap. What a shame the club hasn't been sold or something recently ... that would have been an ideal opportunity to buy off the expensive contracts not benefiting the team jocolor ..............some contingency planning, I must say... did they not think of the rest of the football season ?
I can't help but feel Brent is being led by football dullards and he's hearing everything he's wanting to hear... we're only two players short of a good squad..... pass the potatoes please.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 pm

To be fair, Merse makes a good point.

Whilst we need players who can pass to each other and not least find the back of the net, we also need a management structure that works - contacts within the game, man management, etc, etc, get the right man in, and we don't necessarily have to spend, spend spend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Of course he makes a good point, and I agree with it.
I just think this season is the time to 'invest', not next season. Where are all these coaches, these backroom people we have lost ?

I believe we are left with the rump of the dominant clique over the last 3 years that have brought such misery on this club, and there is a certain amount of obstinancy. They've just ridden the big clear out of money men and are back running the dressing room and everything else without a halfpenny of the blame. How Fletcher is still at the club given his input, let alone manager, is quite beyond me.
Failure isn't a habit, it's a talent.

What we are seeing now from Brent is what we would have seen if Churchill had been allowed to win the post WW2 election. He would have been blaming the Germans for the next 30 years. We need investment to get over our demise as the incoming Labour government understood, and I don't mean pointless signings on big money ... I have never believed in that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:

Having met what must be hundreds if not thousands of others that own or manage businesses, I have yet to meet a single squeaky clean business leader with such morals as you appear to be portraying for James Brent, Damon.

If James Brent isn’t prepared to bend a few rules to enable the club to get out of this mess then it’s not because James Brent is a gentleman with the morals of a saint, it’s because he doesn’t want to and he never has, intended to!

I’m really not sure what perception you are trying to portray here Damon but either way it matters not, what does matter however is that it seems highly unlikely that any investment to release the club from its current predicament will be forthcoming!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Break the Wage Cap!   Break the Wage Cap! Empty

Back to top Go down

Break the Wage Cap!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next